Mike Thomas Injury Update. Rapoport: he may need a week or two to finally play(Mod edit) (1 Viewer)

He could of had the surgery at the end of the 2020 season, but elected to wait til June or what ever. Doesn't seem like a team orientated player. JMO
The jaded/pessimist in me says this. But I choose to hope for the best and realize, "Hey, I have no idea what the particulars are/were." And then I watch a play when JW actually has 4-5 seconds to release and our receivers are blanketed (not due to JW vision) and I quickly go back to, "Mannnn, MT coulda, shoulda, woulda,". LOL.

There is a chance we never see the return of AP Michael Thomas again, possibly not even Pro Bowler version. The fact that he suffered a severe high ankle sprain week 1 of 2020, then continued to play on it that season and rehab it in 2021 with no surgery (until June 2021) probably caused irrep able damage to the ankle/foot. He could still be a very good player but chances of us seeing that 2017-2019 version is probably gone.

There is a chance we never see the return of AP Michael Thomas again, possibly not even Pro Bowler version. The fact that he suffered a severe high ankle sprain week 1 of 2020, then continued to play on it that season and rehab it in 2021 with no surgery (until June 2021) probably caused irrep able damage to the ankle/foot. He could still be a very good player but chances of us seeing that 2017-2019 version is probably gone.
Mehh... People said the samething about Kamara.

I suffered a very similar injury back in February of this year, tore my deltoid, anterior tactiofibular, interior fibular, calcanfibular ligament, and contusions to several others.. correct me on my spellings…

Anyways my doctor said since I’m not playing sports or needing to be as active as I was back in high school to let it heal on it’s own through rehab and no surgery. I’m just getting released from rehab and finally walking straight most of the time. Find myself walking “duck footed” at times.. still can’t jog.

I asked my PT due to him being a sports guy how similar my injury was to a Michael Thomas. They’re almost identical. I know exactly what he’s gone through and he’s a world class athlete..
Dang, HoumaDat! I'm sorry to hear about your injury and long recovery process, but I'm glad you're on the downhill side of it now. Take care!

He'll be back, probably. But I wonder how long it will take him to regain his form. Or even, will he regain his form? It wasn't that long ago that he was said to be the best WR in the league by many. Certainly the best WR in the league for SP's offense. If he can be 80% as good as he was then he'll still be great. I think.

Some people are making some strong doomsday predictions about MT in this thread.

JMO, but he will absolutely be a force when he comes back. Even if he’s not fully 100% yet, his other skills are so great that he will get open and make an enormous difference.

He’s elite when it comes to catch radius, strength, route leverage, finding spots and hand fighting. Even if he lost 5-10% of his explosiveness, he’s still a top 10 WR and easily the best we’ve had.

Good video on it:

Thanks for posting this.

If his info is accurate, it was good to hear what the actual injury is. But troublesome to hear his finish about possible, irreversible damage done while trying to play with the injury. I hope he's wrong about that, but it makes sense.

Michael Thomas may be the most competitive player on the team. Maybe he refused to end his season to go all in to make it back for the playoffs in Drew's last year and got frustrated that he couldn't play at his standard. If that is the case and he messed up his own rehab after choosing not to have surgery for whatever reason, maybe the Saints are being extra cautious to get him back for the Bucs Halloween game. That would be my guess. Unleash the beast on the weak spot on our most important rival: their secondary. Don't put Thomas on tape beforehand. Make them sweat.

He could of had the surgery at the end of the 2020 season, but elected to wait til June or what ever. Doesn't seem like a team orientated player. JMO
I never understood this argument, I understand that Michael Thomas might have made a mistake not getting his surgery done. Mistakes happen, But I doubt he was like

"Forget my team ima walk around on a injured ankle and get surgery at the last minute mwahaha, that show the saints how I feel"

I know its an exaggeration but I think he's a smart enough guy if he wanted to be a selfish player using his body as a means, as an athlete, is not the wisest decision. I lean there was more of a disconnect, either by him the doctors or both.

Curtis Johnson was interviewed on 10/4 and said MT and Trequan and pretty much almost ready. Can't find the quote but this is from an Underhill tweet:

Speaking on WWL radio, Curtis Johnson said Mike Thomas and Tre’Quan Smith look ready to him now. Said they’re now taking the time to make sure both players are all the way right and don’t get hurt again.

If MT really looks ready on 10/4...I gotta believe he'll be back for Seattle. No?

Last edited:
I've just been nervous since I hadn't seen or heard any news on him at all. Glad to read about the Curtis Johnson interview and don't see why he would do anything but be truthful, why would he risk that in this day and age.

I’m just curious if this is your educated medical opinion or if you just decided to opine about the worse possible situation based on zero data?
Watch the video above where the surgeon essentially says the same thing. I’m guessing the poster was reiterating that info. It’s a little worrisome to think about the possibility mentioned, but hopefully the doc is wrong. Still, it only stands to reason that pushing a damage ankle to the max only serves to cause further damage. Hopefully all is well, for our sake and Thomas’s.

Watch the video above where the surgeon essentially says the same thing. I’m guessing the poster was reiterating that info. It’s a little worrisome to think about the possibility mentioned, but hopefully the doc is wrong. Still, it only stands to reason that pushing a damage ankle to the max only serves to cause further damage. Hopefully all is well, for our sake and Thomas’s.
Ok, I didn’t see a video. I stand corrected.

It just sounded very much like a fan just throwing out extremely negative, worse case opinion…

Hey everyone, can anyone share what exactly was Mike Thomas injury and whether or not he’ll come back as good as he used to be? Obviously he doesn’t have Brees throwing him the ball but he’s still amazing. He would catch everything thrown his way back in the day.
In Payton’s words, only! He has an ankle. Who knows at this point!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom