Mike Thomas Injury Update. Rapoport: he may need a week or two to finally play(Mod edit) (2 Viewers)

He could of had the surgery at the end of the 2020 season, but elected to wait til June or what ever. Doesn't seem like a team orientated player. JMO
Does trying to play during the season in Drew's last year mean you're a team player?

Very few high ankle sprains are treated surgically. It use to be a 6-8 week injury. Today they wrap them and get them back on the field in a few weeks. I’d love to see a study looking at initial management and relation to reinjury or delayed healing
Well, you know what they say "surgeons like to cut".

I’m just curious if this is your educated medical opinion or if you just decided to opine about the worse possible situation based on zero data?

Just based on my medical opinion. I'm a Registered Kinesiotherapist, CSCS, FCE (Functional Capacity Evaluator) and CPT. It's just an opinion based on cases we've seen. It's also not impossible for him to be the same guy he was. I'm just looking at the norm.

Well, you know what they say "surgeons like to cut".

Depends on the severity. Obviously some ankle sprains just require rest, compression, ice etc.

Sometimes you get a complete ligament tear where you need screws to hold the tib/fib together to take pressure off the ligaments so they can heal. If you don't get the surgery they never heal. It sounds like from the team he really needed the surgery. They can take up to 6 Mos to recover.

He could of had the surgery at the end of the 2020 season, but elected to wait til June or what ever. Doesn't seem like a team orientated player. JMO
Some of this is on Thomas, but 90% of this is on the team. Initially, I put 90% of the blame for the delay in surgery on Thomas, but the more I thought about it, the more I shifted the blame/responsibility to the team. You have a top 5 to top 10 player at his position in the league. He's injured throughout the season. You know that he likely needs surgery and that the recovery time and rehab time will be months. You "assign" a staff member to be responsible for file file follow-up with the player AND his doctors. You have the player sign a consent form that gives the team total rights to speak with and consult with his doctors. He's a $100 million man. This is not some UDFA walk on type. The Saints were VERY negligent on this. Ultimately this is the Head Coaches responsibility. He has nobody to blame but himself.

All I’m saying is when MT13 comes back from injury and dominates again in 2019 form for us the next two seasons I hope he doesn’t try a Julio Jones move wanting more money instead of playing thru his contract.

All I’m saying is when MT13 comes back from injury and dominates again in 2019 form for us the next two seasons I hope he doesn’t try a Julio Jones move wanting more money instead of playing thru his contract.
That will be perfectly fine as long as the NFL guarantees contracts fully at signing. You can't have it both ways where the team can cut someone at a moments notice or ask the players to restructure their contract virtually every year but the player is expected to honor the contract they signed to the letter.

NFL playing careers are short and the window to get paid is even shorter. NFL players are routinely cut with they underperform based on the value of their current contract. Why is it so unreasonable to ask for the market rate when a player outperforms their contract?

There's always a tension with NFL contracts. Big contracts have to have long lengths in order to fit them under the current salary cap. OTOH the cap grows virtually every year moving the market. A top player can easily move from #1 in salary at signing into the 20's or lower in year 5 or 6 even though they are still performing at the top of the league.

I understand that fans are all about the team. But fans need to understand that this is how players make a living. No reasonable person would ask a worker to stay in a lower paid position for the good of the company when the market is paying higher wages. So, why do we have that unrealistic expectation of athletes?

SFIAH

Some of this is on Thomas, but 90% of this is on the team. Initially, I put 90% of the blame for the delay in surgery on Thomas, but the more I thought about it, the more I shifted the blame/responsibility to the team. You have a top 5 to top 10 player at his position in the league. He's injured throughout the season. You know that he likely needs surgery and that the recovery time and rehab time will be months. You "assign" a staff member to be responsible for file file follow-up with the player AND his doctors. You have the player sign a consent form that gives the team total rights to speak with and consult with his doctors. He's a $100 million man. This is not some UDFA walk on type. The Saints were VERY negligent on this. Ultimately this is the Head Coaches responsibility. He has nobody to blame but himself.
In hindsight, they have shut him down midseason and had the surgery but the win for Drew in his last year was still a part of the thinking. The other part is his uncle who has certain practical knowledge in terms of rehab vs. surgery. He may have told him to go the conservative route. I think he'll be okay because he's not a speed guy but the ankle needs to be fully healed because he's a very physical receiver.

That will be perfectly fine as long as the NFL guarantees contracts fully at signing. You can't have it both ways where the team can cut someone at a moments notice or ask the players to restructure their contract virtually every year but the player is expected to honor the contract they signed to the letter.

NFL playing careers are short and the window to get paid is even shorter. NFL players are routinely cut with they underperform based on the value of their current contract. Why is it so unreasonable to ask for the market rate when a player outperforms their contract?

There's always a tension with NFL contracts. Big contracts have to have long lengths in order to fit them under the current salary cap. OTOH the cap grows virtually every year moving the market. A top player can easily move from #1 in salary at signing into the 20's or lower in year 5 or 6 even though they are still performing at the top of the league.

I understand that fans are all about the team. But fans need to understand that this is how players make a living. No reasonable person would ask a worker to stay in a lower paid position for the good of the company when the market is paying higher wages. So, why do we have that unrealistic expectation of athletes?

SFIAH
My reasoning is because the Saints FO have been more than patient with MT on how he’s decided he wants to recover from this injury on his terms (extended recovery timeline / risked delayed surgery) while the Saints are still paying him $20 mln / year for little to no return on investment in 2020 and this first part of this season. Hence why I’m hopeful he’ll take into consideration how understanding Saints FO has been with him during this injury period when future contract negotiations come up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom