Mike Thomas lookin for 20mil... (1 Viewer)

Thomas may be better than Jarvis Landry, but only marginally, and a year ago Landry signed a five-year $75 million contract. I think highly of Thomas and want him to stay. But he is not a young Julio Jones. And receivers, in my view, don't have the same value as game-changing defensive players.

What else do you want the man to do? Most passing yards in a Saints season, most receptions in NFL HISTORY over first 3 year period, ridiculous catch percentage, single game Saints receiving record, single game Saints post season record against the eagles. Seriously, what else do you want? Run a 4.4 40? Brees can't get a ball 40 yds downfield anyway. Pay the man!

It was clearly a mistake to pay Jimmy Graham less than half that amount a few years ago. Mike is very good, but he would be less good without Brees. If he sticks to his $20m request, be may get the chance to show what he can to with a lesser QB. Jimmy went to a team with a great QB (Sea Hawks) and looked dull. Mike may end up with someone a lot worse... and receivers never look good with second rate QBs.

Tough one. He’s money (no pun intended). Great hands and should continue getting even better, which is crazy to think about. It’s just tough because soon we’ll have a lot of players demanding big contracts, and we won’t be able to afford them all. That’s what happens when you have such a talented roster, though. So yes, while he may be deserving of something near that amount, the future of the team also has to be thought about. The Patriots never have a problem letting good players walk. But.. Thomas is great, and I’d hate to see him gone. Eventually we’re going to be sick by not being able to afford certain players. It’s just, who can we ultimately afford to lose more, and that’s the tough part to think about.

It was clearly a mistake to pay Jimmy Graham less than half that amount a few years ago. Mike is very good, but he would be less good without Brees. If he sticks to his $20m request, be may get the chance to show what he can to with a lesser QB. Jimmy went to a team with a great QB (Sea Hawks) and looked dull. Mike may end up with someone a lot worse... and receivers never look good with second rate QBs.

MT has nearly 200 more receptions that your #2 WR combined over the last two years. That’s tells you all you need to know. Dude gets quick separation and catches everything both inside and outside the numbers. Brees without him next year would look mortal

Tough one. He’s money (no pun intended). Great hands and should continue getting even better, which is crazy to think about. It’s just tough because soon we’ll have a lot of players demanding big contracts, and we won’t be able to afford them all. That’s what happens when you have such a talented roster, though. So yes, while he may be deserving of something near that amount, the future of the team also has to be thought about. The Patriots never have a problem letting good players walk. But.. Thomas is great, and I’d hate to see him gone. Eventually we’re going to be sick by not being able to afford certain players. It’s just, who can we ultimately afford to lose more, and that’s the tough part to think about.

When AK retires, Thomas will still have several years of B+ or better production left in him. That’s why you keep MT over AK. Just draft Swift from UGA next year to be your Satellite/Joker

Not just talking about Kamara. There’s Rankins, there’s Lattimore, who will also be asking for mega bucks probably, just to name a couple. Tough decisions will have to be made, starting with Thomas. I’m sure the Saints will give a fair offer. But you can’t just say pay the man to every great player without some negotiations because we have quite a few of them now, and some rising ones. And yeah, some will have to be let go/traded. It’s tough having a stacked team, and we are getting pretty stacked. I’m just glad I don’t have to make these deals because it would be tough. I’m sure Thomas will get paid very well, but not before some tense and drawn-out negotiations.

Here's my problem: Is he closer to Julio Jones or Jarvis Landry? I think the latter. And in the NFC championship last year, the Rams took him out of the game. I don't think Thomas is a top three receiver. Given his production, it is legitimate to say he is a top five receiver, but there are probably 10 receivers in the league who can make that argument.

I don't want to see Thomas leave. He is a foundation player on offense, but his production has been enhanced by the offense he plays in, and the question is whether such a contract is in the long-term interests of the organization. The Patriots always look to the future with their personnel decisions.

Michael, let me know if you find that 20 million. I's sure like to help you spend it.

Let MT decided if he wants 500k this year and 16/17m next (franchise year) then become a fa or take $18m for 5 years with 60% guaranteed. Sounds like an easy decision to me. I’d hate to be him and suffer a career ending injury in the two year deal.

If we pay Thomas $20+ million/year , that means we should also have to pay Kamara $20+ million/year And probably Lattimore about that much as well.

It would be foolish to tie up $60+ million in three players. So we'll have to decide who's the odd man out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom