Mike Thomas lookin for 20mil... (1 Viewer)

Just don’t sign him to a new contract and just tag him next season when his current contract runs out. Sorry I don’t think he’s worth $20 million a year. The Saints haven’t paid a wideout anything close to that and I don’t see them starting now. IMO

It feels like we have the same discussion every time one of our great players comes up for a contract. We even did it with Brees.

"Oh, I like him, but not for that much."

We'll pay Thomas $20 million a season before it's all said and done and we'll move on to other business. You pay him because he's earned it, and he's not even to the prime of his career yet. And the day after he signs for $20 million, Julio will sign for $20 million and $1 dollar, and by the time guys like DeAndre Hopkins and AJ Green get new deals, Thomas will be a steal at $20 million. The salary cap increases every year, and before too long, we won't have Brees on the books. The game at this point is to have the best possible team around whoever the replacement is, whether that's Bridgewater or a draftee, that won't be eating $30 million a season, and having the most prolific pass catcher after his first 3 seasons in NFL history is absolutely a part of that. Like, we can haggle over $18 million vs. $20 million all day if you guys want, but when pen hits paper - and it will - it'll be for $20 million. We can structure it however we want. It won't cripple the team. It's going to happen. Make your peace with it. He deserves it. We spent the first 10 years of Brees' career in New Orleans saying "and he's doing all this with UDFAs and guys from Hofstra; imagine if he had a stud #1 receiver" and now half of you want to not pay him when we finally gave him one? And he didn't disappoint in any way?

And really, have we not learned by now as a fanbase that Mickey Loomis can structure contracts in such a way that we can pay everybody that we have to pay? Hard choices are coming, yes, but those are going to be about guys like Peat, maybe Armstead if health doesn't clear up. And I know people don't want to hear this (and it's going to get me some downvotes), but if we have to choose to let go of one out of Kamara, Ram, and Lattimore, I could easily see it being Kamara based on the shelf life of NFL running backs. Now, the saving grace there could be that running backs aren't as valued as they once were. Todd Gurley is making about $15 million a year, so that number could be fit into an expanding salary cap.

TL;DR; Trust Mickey Loomis. He's going to pay him what he's worth - which is $20 million a year - and in the long run it's not going to look like that big of a contract. We can and will massage the cap to keep who we feel we need to keep.

To me, Mike T is molded from the same iron that Nuke Hopkins was made from. He’s the type of WR who has the ability to elevate his QB’s game, no matter who that dude is. I mean, look at the guys Nuke had under Center before D.Watson came to town. He feasted, regardless, & i see Mike T having that same effect. It just so happens that he’s been blessed to have Drew as his QB.

That potential 20mil a year number is crazy for a WR, but in Mike T’s case, i can totally understand why the team is willing to give it to him. When Drew decides to ride off into immortality, in theory, having an elite weapon like Mike T in house to throw to would make the transition easier for our next QB.

saints need to pay him. and pay him before the other top contracts come into play. i hope they announce before week 1.

think about it. thomas (26y/o) hits 20mil, then julio (30y/o) is up and does 21, then cooper (25y/o), maybe 21.5, then hill (25y/o) at 22. we help weaken 3 other teams (cowboys and falcons at that) and pay a top 3 WR in the nfl a top 4 price...

much like brees in 2012 when people claimed he was being "Greedy" and the first qb to hit 100 mil. now you have mediocre QBs hitting way above that. itll be the same for WR, thomas will be "greedy" and within 1 year he wont even be the top 3 top paid WRs.

Last edited:
Today’s cap 20 is doable , as stated before others will bypass the 20 probably soon after he signs

It’s not about him being better or worse than Julio it’s about who he is in this offense today -

MT carried the WR core last year to my memory not missing a snap

When DB retires will he have the same value to the team? Maybe not, but without him last year would have been much different without him as would this year and every year DB is here

Will DB retire if a big deal is singed ? Who knows but if MT leaves imo greater chance DB does as well

18 mil - 20 mil among 53 players 2 mil is an easy margin to cover , the “20 mil is too much for a wr” is old school thinking due to the increase of overall cap

Time to move on then. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE MT. I'm inspired by his work ethic and demeanor and the product he puts on the field. However, we have never paid a WR that kind of money and I don't think we ever should. MT is driven to be the best WR in the game. Prob even to ever play the game. He needs a blockbuster contract and max exposure and I don't think the Saints are the team to give him that. I don't think he's selfish like Cooks, and I wouldn't fault either side for parting ways.

Lol this is hilarious. We never paid a QB Drew Brees money before some of his deals, should we have moved on? This is the new deals that top WR will be looking for. Whether MT is more a product of Drew or not is debatable, but the value and his worth right now is as high as it’ll ever be. Can’t blame him one bit for asking for what he’s asking based off other WR contracts and anticipated contracts. We don’t win half our games last year without him in the lineup, he’s the first player we’ve had here under Sean Payton that’s not named Drew Brees that we could say that about.

Crazy. Is he a product of the most accurate passer in NFL history or is he a ridiculous once in a generation talent? I say a bit of both so split the difference and call it good.
Man, you can't short change Mike like that. He has come a long way and work hard and continue to work hard to be one of the better, if not, the best receiver in the league. Coming from being drafted after 5 or so receivers ahead of him, he had accomplished so much. You and some people might be in denial but as much credit is given to Drew for Mike's accomplishment, the same can be said for extending Drew career. Remember how it was before Mike came on board. As far as contract is concern, that is another opinion. I am see both pros and cons of given a receiver that kind of money.

We all love MT and we love him in B&G. The question is do the Saints make him the highest paid WR in football? We seen that historically the team has tried to work with players (ie JG) and the team developed a serious case of buyers remorse after the record deal.
Its a delicate balance IMO. Sure MT is great talent. But do you need a 20mil a season WR if your QB is Teddy Bridgewater because at some point in a 4 or 5 plus year deal that ( or someone else) is who will be leading the team.
IDK but whatever happens I'll be fine with whatever the team decides to do because I'm a Saints fan thick or thin.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom