Mike Triplett Dome Patrol/49er LB comparison (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Second coming of the 'Dome Patrol' leads San Francisco 49ers into Super Bowl 2013

not a bad article and you cant ignore the comparisons especially with Fangio being over there, but I got my feathers ruffled at the title of the article "Second coming of the 'Dome Patrol' leads San Francisco 49ers into Super Bowl 2013" what? You can write the article without giving them that name especially that team; the one that held our crew back. Anyone else find this faux pas or am I just an old bitter fan.

“This is the best thing I’ve seen, man, since us. And really, I put them right up with us,” Saints Hall of Famer Rickey Jackson said. “I don’t see nobody else being close.”

“They’re even kind of built like us,” Jackson said, further breaking down the comparison. “No. 55 (Brooks) is built like I was. No. 99 (Smith) is built like Pat (Swilling) was. The other two are kind of built like Sam (Mills) and Vaughan (Johnson).

Did Ricky Jackson just compare himself to ahmad brooks?

Nice.

The fact of the matter is they are the best defense in the league, and we were the best defense in the league back then. They do have some of the same personnel in coaching from the Dome Patrol days. This don't bother me at all. The Dome Patrol never went to a Super Bowl either.

It's no comparison. Rickey Jackson is HOF Brooks couldn't hold a candle to him. Willis is their best backer and if he was put in the situation like Rickey on a small market team and with no championship rings on that team he wouldn't sniff the HOF, they'd be comparing him to tackling machines like Jessie Tuggle in Atlanta or a London Fletcher in Washington.

Except the Dome Patrol didn't have Aldon Smith and Justin Smith in front of them. Guys like Wilks and Warren were very solid players, but none of them ever came close to dominating the LOS or putting up 19 sacks in a season.

And the secondary behind them wasn't as talented as the one the 49ers are sporting the last couple of years.

It's no comparison. Rickey Jackson is HOF Brooks couldn't hold a candle to him. Willis is their best backer and if he was put in the situation like Rickey on a small market team and with no championship rings on that team he wouldn't sniff the HOF, they'd be comparing him to tackling machines like Jessie Tuggle in Atlanta or a London Fletcher in Washington.

Man do i remember Jessie Tuggle. That name rings a bell and i didn't even watch him play much.

I guess I am just bitter. I had season tickets back in those days but they were bought by my family (it was my early teens) Those games tore a part of my heart out.

Brooks cant come off the edge like Ricky or Pat could but it is a nice compliment coming from one of the greatest.

It is disappointing that guys like Willis, Fletcher and Tuggle get overlooked so often for all of their on-field greatness in their own right. I disagree the the other 3 SF linebackers aren't just as good currently in their respective roles as Willis has been this year. Novarro bowman even had more tackles than willis this year.

Each of those guys could stake a case for the pro bowl this year at linebacker.

Except the Dome Patrol didn't have Aldon Smith and Justin Smith in front of them. Guys like Wilks and Warren were very solid players, but none of them ever came close to dominating the LOS or putting up 19 sacks in a season.

And the secondary behind them wasn't as talented as the one the 49ers are sporting the last couple of years.

I agree with this. Our secondary wasn't nearly as good as theirs is today. We didn't have safeties like Whitner who were absolute bruisers.

I don't see how anyone gets offended by this. The Niners defense is awesome. Everyone gets so sour when someone is complimenting them but they did manage to beat us twice, and the Pack twice, and Brady. They have created the blueprint to stopping the Dan Marino teams of this league.

I agree with this. Our secondary wasn't nearly as good as theirs is today. We didn't have safeties like Whitner who were absolute bruisers.

I don't see how anyone gets offended by this. The Niners defense is awesome. Everyone gets so sour when someone is complimenting them but they did manage to beat us twice, and the Pack twice, and Brady. They have created the blueprint to stopping the Dan Marino teams of this league.
In fairness they only stopped us once. That playoff game last year we scored way more than enough points to win, our defense just blew it. Twice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom