Mike Triplett on the Saints in the current Power Rankings (1 Viewer)

Then what would be the point of power rankings? If that's what you want, just look at the playoff seeding picture. The 49ers have the exact same record as us. They have looked better than us throughout the season as well. I'm not going to say the saints aren't better or the saints won't win, but i don't think you can criticize someone for putting them ahead of the saints.
What's the point of power rankings? You are looking at the point, the only point....... Just something to make you click and engage during the middle of the week. Seems to work.

but lets get real, everyone. The 49ers have looked better than us in nearly every game this year. Heck, their losses look better than some of our wins.

Look, the 49’ers are a great team this year and definitely have the ability to take it to us. We need to bring our A game for sure.

But some of this stuff (like what I’ve quoted above) is getting out of hand.

Jimmy G has not looked like a world beater and they barely beat the Redskins and Cardinals (twice). They also barely beat the Mason Rudolph-led Steelers and actually lost to the Seahawks at home (who we beat relatively handily on the road, with our backup QB).

Again, they are a great team who will be very hard to beat. But there are a lot of people who are really exaggerating how good they have looked and how bad we have looked.

In the end, we’re both 10-2, 5-1 at home and 5-1 away. That seems about right. It’s a set up for 2 awesome teams, not a juggernaut against a lucky underdog.

The good thing the NFL settles things on the field using the standings. These power rankings are nothing more than what they call the "eye test" in college football. Using the eye test I would say that the 49ers and Ravens look stronger overall than the Saints right now. We'll see how it all plays out on the field.

To me ranking don't mean a darn thing. It is just bragging rights and it changes week in and week out. Only ranking I want is when it matters on February. So I am not mad at all for those ranking. And at this point they are probably right. We are not playing lights out football now. So I am very happy at where we at right now. Not mad at all.

If we're being honest, both the Ravens and the 49ers have looked more dominant on the field than us recently. That Falcons game was closer than it should have been (unfortunately, I feel like we say this a lot). Yeah. I get it. A win is a win, but that's not what the power rankings are about. It's about HOW you won those games. The only problem I have with the ranking is that we should be ahead of the Patriots who are currently sitting at #3.
We will know more after the 49ers game. Even then, it isn't over until it's over. Saints need to keep winning. But right now, yeah, we do not appear to be the most "powerful" with the eyeball test.

More dominant or not, they are currently the #5 Seed, we are the #1 Seed. How can they be ranked ahead of us? Same with the Patriots. They are the #2 Seed, the Ravens are the #1 Seed. We should be ranked #2.
Yep. Please explain the Patriots at #2. What eyeball test have they passed. Fortunately this is not college football. It will be decided on the field. Except for those striped shirts will likely have something to say of course

Niners have lost 2 of 3......just saying.
And please don’t tell me look who they’ve played. We beat Seattle without Drew in Seattle.

If we're being honest, both the Ravens and the 49ers have looked more dominant on the field than us recently. That Falcons game was closer than it should have been (unfortunately, I feel like we say this a lot). Yeah. I get it. A win is a win, but that's not what the power rankings are about. It's about HOW you won those games. The only problem I have with the ranking is that we should be ahead of the Patriots who are currently sitting at #3.

Two things people need to understand:

Power rankings are about the future. Who do you think is the best team? It means, based on the games already played, who you prefict will win the games ahead.
So, the record is just one component. A team ahead in the stands might be behind on the power rankings.

The other thing is it's just someone's opinion. Every time someone talks about some power ranking there comes the "but it means nothing" crowd. Everyone knows that. Just let people discuss and have fun talking about football, talking about who they think is the best team, who will win it all, etc.

When the NFL starts using a Playoff Committee rather than Win/Loss records and tiebreaker rules... then we can complain about these rankings.

These rankings articles are designed to have people write angry retorts on fan forums all over the country. It works really well.

i
4. New Orleans Saints (10-2)
Week 13 ranking: 5
gn-arrow.png

Who's under fire: Ted Ginn Jr. and Tre'Quan Smith, WRs
New Orleans' biggest problem from late last season remains its biggest problem heading into this December -- a lack of reliable wide receivers outside of Michael Thomas. Neither Ginn nor Smith has had more than two catches in a game since Week 3. The Saints badly need one or both to step up in the playoffs. Regardless, they'll be looking for an upgrade this offseason. -- Mike Triplett

I agree with his comments, but disagree totally with us being #4. We are currently ahead of the Niners. We are the #1 Seed right now. And, they have the Patriots ahead of us as well. They are now #2 in Playoff Seeding behind the Ravens.

These Power Rankings are becoming a joke.
I'm fine with #4, the last two wins against teams with losing records [I know there division rivals] was ugly.

recency bias...

what am I talking about? Power rankings mean squat... unless they have us #1, then they're definitive proof!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom