Mike Triplett on the Saints in the current Power Rankings (1 Viewer)

i
4. New Orleans Saints (10-2)
Week 13 ranking: 5
gn-arrow.png

Who's under fire: Ted Ginn Jr. and Tre'Quan Smith, WRs
New Orleans' biggest problem from late last season remains its biggest problem heading into this December -- a lack of reliable wide receivers outside of Michael Thomas. Neither Ginn nor Smith has had more than two catches in a game since Week 3. The Saints badly need one or both to step up in the playoffs. Regardless, they'll be looking for an upgrade this offseason. -- Mike Triplett

I agree with his comments, but disagree totally with us being #4. We are currently ahead of the Niners. We are the #1 Seed right now. And, they have the Patriots ahead of us as well. They are now #2 in Playoff Seeding behind the Ravens.

These Power Rankings are becoming a joke.

Seasons are about highs and lows.

This team might possibly be the best roster in the NFL. We haven't played our best football yet, and we are still winning.

Most teams lose games during their stretch of lows. We are still winning.

Winning a Superbowl is all about getting hot at the right time. Just ask the Giants, they did it twice. Hopefully, we are getting hot at the right time

We are doomed.

San Francisco 49ers at New Orleans Saints (-2.5)
This is one of the best games of the week, but the 49ers are playing a second consecutive road game across the country, which will be challenging. The Saints played better on defense against Atlanta last time out, but this will be about Drew Brees against the 49ers defense. I think Brees gets the best of it at home.
Pick: Saints 22, 49ers 17
- CBS SPORTS - Pete Prisco

i
4. New Orleans Saints (10-2)
Week 13 ranking: 5
gn-arrow.png

Who's under fire: Ted Ginn Jr. and Tre'Quan Smith, WRs
New Orleans' biggest problem from late last season remains its biggest problem heading into this December -- a lack of reliable wide receivers outside of Michael Thomas. Neither Ginn nor Smith has had more than two catches in a game since Week 3. The Saints badly need one or both to step up in the playoffs. Regardless, they'll be looking for an upgrade this offseason. -- Mike Triplett

I agree with his comments, but disagree totally with us being #4. We are currently ahead of the Niners. We are the #1 Seed right now. And, they have the Patriots ahead of us as well. They are now #2 in Playoff Seeding behind the Ravens.

These Power Rankings are becoming a joke.
Look, all of the "talking heads" and the so-called journalists who write about these things and I don't give a hoot in hades about what they think or feel or what the matrixes say regarding stats !! The SAINTS are one of five 10-2 Teams and have defeated some tough competition throughout the season and now? They really must find their WAY TO their BEST Game! See, I feel and have seen this team GROW as Jared Cook is getting more play but then what's a genuine issue is the "burner", Tedd Ginn Jr. who hasn't found his separation from Defenses and when he has he hasn't made the catches!! So, I'm not sure what's up with him but he's dropping balls I made a name for myself in our League when I was still playing League ball making that name by being a Lance Moore type of player! Not the fastest guy, not the biggest guy and nothing physically outstanding EXCEPT for the single most important thing you can DO as a WR ( of course we ALL were potential Receivers except for our QB but I could always get the route run well by waiting until I came right up on them and crossed them up with footwork and making them either fall down or at the least come wide open based on tricks of route running and understanding how to use you're creativity to get open! I'd then hardly EVER "DROP THE BALL!" . The KEY to THAT is to spot the dot created when the ball spirals and the creases of the ball comes together and then watch that dot all the way into your diamond created by your hands as they come together for the catch!! I mention all of this NOT to say how great I was or else I'd have BEEN The Lance Moore for someone but to let everyone know who pays attention to those who are on teams and who knows what about kinetic energy, inertia and using a defender's momentum against them by making your cuts sharp and depending on what you can see of the QB and knowing if you need to come back to the ball of if your QB is clear and can let one really sail so extend your route deeper for a catch while being led more than needing to come back to the ball if the QB is in trouble or needing to get rid of the ball sooner than the route would call for. Tedd Ginn Jr has shown me ( at least) that he comprehends this precepts to beat the defender who will NEVER be able to cover you IF you run your route correctly and being able to make the changes on the fly as you see your QB's situation and especially if you need to either help him out with a come-back route or bust it to BLAST as you are able to scream down field! That's what we need and Ginn Jr. has that knowledge to use those and many more "tricks" which allows you to get more open than the route calls for. It's either an acquired method where everything is done before hand or whatever the situation calls for. Tedd Ginn Jr. has shown me through his play, he understands how to get open and how to use those techniques I've expressed above and even many more techniques which are used to come open where and when Drew wants you to or make your alterations to help him out or draw out your route if the field has opened up for your route ( and this is where the work with the QB pays huge dividends)) as you BOTH are on the same page. If he's under duress with pressure, both he and YOU KNOW you're coming back to the ball and with any good planning each WR has these same options and if you are able to charge back onto the ball you can make a good play when the defense has shut you down! It's NOT Rocker science guys and using any of these techniques will open any WR up for a completion and the most important end result MUST end with the ball securely brought into your body AFTER you have made all of the corrections in your route and that final result will make your QB look fantastic and like a magician and the BEST EVER or whatever the deal is, you KNOW it will, in the end? Make your QB look like a genius!! Plus, you look pretty good hauling in every pass within your catch radius and become known as Mr. Reliable !! Something EVERY WR of Back or whatever every one of those guys WANTS to be known for! This is a huge hole in our WRs and I can't figure out WHY that is?? I KNOW Tedd Ginn Jr. knows this very well as I've seen him do it! He is a seasoned VET who knows HOW to get open but he's been dropping his very catchable balls!! Why he's dropping these catchable passes is NOT a thing I know and freely admit it because it's in his mind! It's got to be! I can't see any other answer to it. So, we've got THAT to deal with and now it's become a reason we're so sketchy when we get into a clearly passing situations and Drew's got a sketchy WR krewe who will drop clean balls as well as hard or difficult balls and he's missing Meach and Marques and Jimmy G and the guys who simply wouldn't drop the most difficult catches to make. Used to be, when I'd see Drew drop back and focus in with a laser pass ? It was going to be caught and we ALL KNEW that when Drew got "that LOOK"? That was going to be a sweet gain and be magical when it went down! I ( as we all and I bet DREW feels the same way) bet he went from being a confident passing machine to a guy who throws and says a prayer that his pass will be caught and by one of our guys!! It's a hope and become a dream now when Drew releases the balls it's a toss up to see if we can find someone who is reliable as they are all talented enough to #1 GET OPEN ( that's WR 101) run that route to where Drew expects you to be and then #2 but MOST IMPORTANTLY; Catch the darned BALL GUYS! I know it's the NFL and you WILL have some hungry dudes bearing down on you to take your head off ( not in today's NFL but you're going to take a beating no matter what) but you're getting PAID to take the hit and hang ON TO THE BALL as is expected of you! I know this is all obvious and maybe blatant but those balls have GOT TO BE CAUGHT! Don't you agree with me? There's a lot of work to be done in this area so please, for the love of the LIFE of The NFL ;; CATCH THE DARNED BALL!! I've written too much so everyone deal with it and KNOW we need to find that in their hearts to do whatever it takes to put in your minds you ARE GOING TO CATCH ALL of the passes coming your way! We're on the border of being NFL Champions and you ALL need to just snatch that ball out of the air as it's YOUR BALL as soon as it leaves Drew's or Taysom's or Teddy's hand!! It's YOURS to grab and take yard should you have that opportunity, one leads to another and you MUST come down with the BALL! I'm OUT! Said what needed to be said and I wish nothing but the BEST for our WRs in order to Become Champs!! So, go out and catch the darned BALLS which come your way and EXPECT it to come your way!! There in lies the rule! It could come your way or not but it's your JOB to either make the catch , perform the blocks or do whatever you are called upon to do , just go out and DO IT!

Power rankings were created 15 years ago to give Peyton Manning his "rightful" spot at #1 during the regular season. Then when he & the Colts were inevitably bounced out of the playoffs in the divisional round, they would be dropped to #3 for a few weeks before being returned to #1 the second the Super Bowl went to 0:00.

Look, all of the "talking heads" and the so-called journalists who write about these things and I don't give a hoot in hades about what they think or feel or what the matrixes say regarding stats !! The SAINTS are one of five 10-2 Teams and have defeated some tough competition throughout the season and now? They really must find their WAY TO their BEST Game! See, I feel and have seen this team GROW as Jared Cook is getting more play but then what's a genuine issue is the "burner", Tedd Ginn Jr. who hasn't found his separation from Defenses and when he has he hasn't made the catches!! So, I'm not sure what's up with him but he's dropping balls I made a name for myself in our League when I was still playing League ball making that name by being a Lance Moore type of player! Not the fastest guy, not the biggest guy and nothing physically outstanding EXCEPT for the single most important thing you can DO as a WR ( of course we ALL were potential Receivers except for our QB but I could always get the route run well by waiting until I came right up on them and crossed them up with footwork and making them either fall down or at the least come wide open based on tricks of route running and understanding how to use you're creativity to get open! I'd then hardly EVER "DROP THE BALL!" . The KEY to THAT is to spot the dot created when the ball spirals and the creases of the ball comes together and then watch that dot all the way into your diamond created by your hands as they come together for the catch!! I mention all of this NOT to say how great I was or else I'd have BEEN The Lance Moore for someone but to let everyone know who pays attention to those who are on teams and who knows what about kinetic energy, inertia and using a defender's momentum against them by making your cuts sharp and depending on what you can see of the QB and knowing if you need to come back to the ball of if your QB is clear and can let one really sail so extend your route deeper for a catch while being led more than needing to come back to the ball if the QB is in trouble or needing to get rid of the ball sooner than the route would call for. Tedd Ginn Jr has shown me ( at least) that he comprehends this precepts to beat the defender who will NEVER be able to cover you IF you run your route correctly and being able to make the changes on the fly as you see your QB's situation and especially if you need to either help him out with a come-back route or bust it to BLAST as you are able to scream down field! That's what we need and Ginn Jr. has that knowledge to use those and many more "tricks" which allows you to get more open than the route calls for. It's either an acquired method where everything is done before hand or whatever the situation calls for. Tedd Ginn Jr. has shown me through his play, he understands how to get open and how to use those techniques I've expressed above and even many more techniques which are used to come open where and when Drew wants you to or make your alterations to help him out or draw out your route if the field has opened up for your route ( and this is where the work with the QB pays huge dividends)) as you BOTH are on the same page. If he's under duress with pressure, both he and YOU KNOW you're coming back to the ball and with any good planning each WR has these same options and if you are able to charge back onto the ball you can make a good play when the defense has shut you down! It's NOT Rocker science guys and using any of these techniques will open any WR up for a completion and the most important end result MUST end with the ball securely brought into your body AFTER you have made all of the corrections in your route and that final result will make your QB look fantastic and like a magician and the BEST EVER or whatever the deal is, you KNOW it will, in the end? Make your QB look like a genius!! Plus, you look pretty good hauling in every pass within your catch radius and become known as Mr. Reliable !! Something EVERY WR of Back or whatever every one of those guys WANTS to be known for! This is a huge hole in our WRs and I can't figure out WHY that is?? I KNOW Tedd Ginn Jr. knows this very well as I've seen him do it! He is a seasoned VET who knows HOW to get open but he's been dropping his very catchable balls!! Why he's dropping these catchable passes is NOT a thing I know and freely admit it because it's in his mind! It's got to be! I can't see any other answer to it. So, we've got THAT to deal with and now it's become a reason we're so sketchy when we get into a clearly passing situations and Drew's got a sketchy WR krewe who will drop clean balls as well as hard or difficult balls and he's missing Meach and Marques and Jimmy G and the guys who simply wouldn't drop the most difficult catches to make. Used to be, when I'd see Drew drop back and focus in with a laser pass ? It was going to be caught and we ALL KNEW that when Drew got "that LOOK"? That was going to be a sweet gain and be magical when it went down! I ( as we all and I bet DREW feels the same way) bet he went from being a confident passing machine to a guy who throws and says a prayer that his pass will be caught and by one of our guys!! It's a hope and become a dream now when Drew releases the balls it's a toss up to see if we can find someone who is reliable as they are all talented enough to #1 GET OPEN ( that's WR 101) run that route to where Drew expects you to be and then #2 but MOST IMPORTANTLY; Catch the darned BALL GUYS! I know it's the NFL and you WILL have some hungry dudes bearing down on you to take your head off ( not in today's NFL but you're going to take a beating no matter what) but you're getting PAID to take the hit and hang ON TO THE BALL as is expected of you! I know this is all obvious and maybe blatant but those balls have GOT TO BE CAUGHT! Don't you agree with me? There's a lot of work to be done in this area so please, for the love of the LIFE of The NFL ;; CATCH THE DARNED BALL!! I've written too much so everyone deal with it and KNOW we need to find that in their hearts to do whatever it takes to put in your minds you ARE GOING TO CATCH ALL of the passes coming your way! We're on the border of being NFL Champions and you ALL need to just snatch that ball out of the air as it's YOUR BALL as soon as it leaves Drew's or Taysom's or Teddy's hand!! It's YOURS to grab and take yard should you have that opportunity, one leads to another and you MUST come down with the BALL! I'm OUT! Said what needed to be said and I wish nothing but the BEST for our WRs in order to Become Champs!! So, go out and catch the darned BALLS which come your way and EXPECT it to come your way!! There in lies the rule! It could come your way or not but it's your JOB to either make the catch , perform the blocks or do whatever you are called upon to do , just go out and DO IT!
Quoted for posterity.

Yeah well we blew it by not trading for Sanders or Devante Parker.

Parker is now one of the top 10 receivers in the NFL.

What could have been.

It just doesn't make sense we stayed pat.
I totally agree. Not to mention, the Receiver in New York. Anderson? #2 WR is clearly a bad weakness on our team, and now we find out that Kirkwood is not coming back this year. I don't know what we are going to do to alleviate this weakness. Right now, we are what we are. I still think that Payton has something up his sleeve.

More dominant or not, they are currently the #5 Seed, we are the #1 Seed. How can they be ranked ahead of us? Same with the Patriots. They are the #2 Seed, the Ravens are the #1 Seed. We should be ranked #2.
David, it is a power ranking, not seeding. There is an "eye test" component to that.

Lets be real, over the past two games, or since they've returned from the bye week, the team has looked a bit lackluster on offense. Their defense has been the difference in these past three games actually. Saints front line is very dominant and I expect that to continue. The offense though has been hampered by a number of things. I still think Drew's thumb brace is limiting his deep throws. Ted Ginn has been a disappointment, too many drops. TQS has not stepped up yet since he's returned from his injury. Cook has been inconsistent, looks great one minute, then drops a pass the next. Then of course there are the penalties.

All of this is contributing to their #4 power ranking.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom