Saints Mike Westhoff: Taysom Hill “throws better” than Lamar Jackson (1 Viewer)

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score

Taysom Hill has become a stellar special-teams player with plenty of promise at quarterback. Mike Westhoff, who served as special-teams coordinator with the Saints in 2017 and 2018, praised Hill’s skills in an early-January interview with Zach Gelb of CBS Sports Radio.

“Take a look at Baltimore,” Westhoff said when discussing Hill’s skill set. “It’s the same kind of guy. Taysom Hill does those same kind of things. I think he throws better.”

Let’s be clear on this. Westhoff, an NFL special-teams coach from 1986 through 2018, isn’t saying Lamar Jackson doesn’t throw well; Jackson was the unanimous MVP for a reason. Westhoff is simply saying that he personally believes Hill, whom Westhoff observed for two years in practice, throws better. Which is a very boldly statement but, given Westhoff’s time with the Saints, hardly uninformed, at least as it relates to Westhoff’s knowledge of Hill.

Westhoff also predicted that, in time, Hill will become the starter with the Saints.

“I think you’ll see an offense that’s similar to Baltimore, that can do a lot of different things,” Westhoff said of a potential Taysom Hill-based attack in New Orleans. “And Sean Payton is an extremely qualified coach, and he’s very, very creative.”

He was one of Taysom Hill's primary coaches for two years so I'd say he's got a pretty good handle on what he's observed.

Saints might flip Taysom for a 1st and trade up to snag someone.
Seems like that would be the only way possible to do that since we don't have a second and future picks are downgraded a round. Unless you're talking about moving up a few spots. We could manage that without letting Hill go.

We gonna regret letting him go if it happens.
People talk about his injury history but he gets hit just as hard as anyone
No one is wanting to go head up with him, so they go low and it doesn't seem to bother him.
The only other person close to Taysom is Cam Newton and he seems to get flattened at least twice a game.

I sincerely doubt we are trying to trade a known commodity, who has worked our quarterback room for 3 years, who also knows the system, is familiar with the coaches and it is known to have an impecable work ethic, to be traded to get an unknown player.

I guess everyone can see what she/he wants in this time when literally, nothing is happening.

Something is up, can’t figure it out, but there is too much smoke. There’s a new update in reference to Hill every day (it seems). The FO is trying to get someone to take the bait. They either: value the 1st > Hill, willing to flip him for a 2nd, or want someone to offer a deal so that they can match (let the market determine his value).

I hope not. I hope we sign Drew for a one maybe two year deal that’s cap friendly and sign Taysom to a 4-5 year deal. Then we draft a QB. After that we work Taysom into the offense slowly while Drew understands his role as mentor/QB coach.

Something is up, can’t figure it out, but there is too much smoke. There’s a new update in reference to Hill every day (it seems). The FO is trying to get someone to take the bait. They either: value the 1st > Hill, willing to flip him for a 2nd, or want someone to offer a deal so that they can match (let the market determine his value).
I don't know what's going on at all but he does seem to be all the rage for someone who's barely taken any real snaps at QB in the NFL. Interviews with national media, coaches being asked about him, Payton actually making a statement more than "he's been a great player for us" or something lame like he usually does, etc., etc.. I know it's the offseason and all of these sites need to keep pushing content, but when has a third string QB who's played more special teams and jack of all trades on offense than actually QB been the topic of offseason discussion like this? I can't think of anyone.

We'll find out as soon as his tender is placed on him though. Anyone know when that actually happens? Seems like we should have a countdown timer for it.

And now the home page has a story about him only a franchise QB according to his agent and hopefully its here. This getting more priceless by the day.

We gonna regret letting him go if it happens.
People talk about his injury history but he gets hit just as hard as anyone
No one is wanting to go head up with him, so they go low and it doesn't seem to bother him.
The only other person close to Taysom is Cam Newton and he seems to get flattened at least twice a game.
Yup. The only 2 QB's who strike fear in the hearts of tacklers are Cam and Hill. Of course, we would have about 4-6 heart attacks per game as well. People fear Jackson because he may break your ACL and u end up on a highlight reel. But Derrick Henry like fear??? Only Cam and Hill.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom