Saints Mike Westhoff: Taysom Hill “throws better” than Lamar Jackson (1 Viewer)

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Sticky Post

Taysom Hill has become a stellar special-teams player with plenty of promise at quarterback. Mike Westhoff, who served as special-teams coordinator with the Saints in 2017 and 2018, praised Hill’s skills in an early-January interview with Zach Gelb of CBS Sports Radio.

“Take a look at Baltimore,” Westhoff said when discussing Hill’s skill set. “It’s the same kind of guy. Taysom Hill does those same kind of things. I think he throws better.”

Let’s be clear on this. Westhoff, an NFL special-teams coach from 1986 through 2018, isn’t saying Lamar Jackson doesn’t throw well; Jackson was the unanimous MVP for a reason. Westhoff is simply saying that he personally believes Hill, whom Westhoff observed for two years in practice, throws better. Which is a very boldly statement but, given Westhoff’s time with the Saints, hardly uninformed, at least as it relates to Westhoff’s knowledge of Hill.

Westhoff also predicted that, in time, Hill will become the starter with the Saints.

“I think you’ll see an offense that’s similar to Baltimore, that can do a lot of different things,” Westhoff said of a potential Taysom Hill-based attack in New Orleans. “And Sean Payton is an extremely qualified coach, and he’s very, very creative.”
He was one of Taysom Hill's primary coaches for two years so I'd say he's got a pretty good handle on what he's observed.

ilvdsnts

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Something is up, can’t figure it out, but there is too much smoke. There’s a new update in reference to Hill every day (it seems). The FO is trying to get someone to take the bait. They either: value the 1st > Hill, willing to flip him for a 2nd, or want someone to offer a deal so that they can match (let the market determine his value).
So you’re saying they’re either going to take the pick for him or match the offer? THAT is some breaking news.

Saint Lattimore

Restricted Airspace
Reaction score
I made the mistake of trying to listen to the new episode of Who Dat Confessional, even though I’ve come to the conclusion that it is not a good podcast. The topic (Taysom Hill) drew me in, and I started listening.... I only made it thru the first 5-10 minutes before I turned it off.
I can’t stand hearing people who don’t know any more than I do, talk down to fans and listeners like their opinions are gospel. EJW and Duce Wyndham sound like Taysom haters... and Wyndham, a husky red headed white guy, tried to play the race card when discussing Westhoff’s comments about Taysom Hill “throwing better” than Lamar Jackson. That podcast is a clown show! Westhoff is an actual coach that has worked directly with Taysom Hill and has been in the NFL for many years... but 2 guys with a computer and a Patreon are going to act like they know better?!?
Whether you like Taysom Hill or not... or believe that he can be a NFL starting QB or not... don’t act like you know how this turns out!
I trust my eyes and what I see on the field... and what I have seen, is that Taysom Hill is a leader... has a strong arm, and is a dynamic and exceptional athlete. His teammates love him, and when he gets opportunities to help the Saints, he does just that. I don’t know if he can be a “franchise QB” but I haven’t seen him do anything to show me that he can’t be. I can’t stand blowhards that are too prideful to just say “I don’t know.”
What I do know, is that I am a huge fan of Taysom Hill, and however this whole thing plays out, I am going to continue to root for Taysom Hill wherever he plays out the rest of his NFL career.

Loose Cannon

Tangibles
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Serious though, the only place i read these strange scenarios are on SR, everywhere else predicts Taysom is the future, either this year or next...whatever happens, fans just want to stay exciting and most of all win!
Actually the vast majority of non-Saints fans outside of this board think the thought of Taysom Hill being a starting NFL QB is ridiculous.

At least in the circles I run in. And I don't run with stupid people.

harschman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I made the mistake of trying to listen to the new episode of Who Dat Confessional, even though I’ve come to the conclusion that it is not a good podcast. The topic (Taysom Hill) drew me in, and I started listening.... I only made it thru the first 5-10 minutes before I turned it off.
I can’t stand hearing people who don’t know any more than I do, talk down to fans and listeners like their opinions are gospel. EJW and Duce Wyndham sound like Taysom haters... and Wyndham, a husky red headed white guy, tried to play the race card when discussing Westhoff’s comments about Taysom Hill “throwing better” than Lamar Jackson. That podcast is a clown show! Westhoff is an actual coach that has worked directly with Taysom Hill and has been in the NFL for many years... but 2 guys with a computer and a Patreon are going to act like they know better?!?
Whether you like Taysom Hill or not... or believe that he can be a NFL starting QB or not... don’t act like you know how this turns out!
I trust my eyes and what I see on the field... and what I have seen, is that Taysom Hill is a leader... has a strong arm, and is a dynamic and exceptional athlete. His teammates love him, and when he gets opportunities to help the Saints, he does just that. I don’t know if he can be a “franchise QB” but I haven’t seen him do anything to show me that he can’t be. I can’t stand blowhards that are too prideful to just say “I don’t know.”
What I do know, is that I am a huge fan of Taysom Hill, and however this whole thing plays out, I am going to continue to root for Taysom Hill wherever he plays out the rest of his NFL career.
I agree 100%. I tried to watch this episode on YouTube, but when I got to Wyndham playing the race card I turned it off.

No2DC

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So I take it you're a Taysom fan. Yes, none of us knows how this will turn out. No need to make it a personal crusade.

Brennan77

Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Something is up, can’t figure it out, but there is too much smoke. There’s a new update in reference to Hill every day (it seems). The FO is trying to get someone to take the bait. They either: value the 1st > Hill, willing to flip him for a 2nd, or want someone to offer a deal so that they can match (let the market determine his value).
At this point the posturing is getting silly. If it were as simple as them being confident in his future with the Saints, it hardly seems like they would make all this noise. I think it is possible that they would be happy to continue with the experiment but would also be happy in getting a first round pick as well. Both can be true.

Reaction score
I believe in Taysom.
I also believe, the 1st round grade and all the hype talk from Peyton is a smoke screen. I do think Saints are hoping someone signs him.
He does have the talent to play the position in the NFL. He should get a shot.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
They made it clear umpteen timesvthat they love Taysom and want him to stay but he just does not have the nfl or college tape to justify franchise QBs money - can’t imagine there’s anything to argue there
You can easily make the case that Heisman and nfl mvp award winner is more accurate over his career than TH
And that’s ALL that was being discussed
Nothing about leadership, nothing about heart or team love - just the direct comparison of QB ability

Now I wait while you explain to
me how a ginger challenging another blanco is playing the race card

Gin-Tilly

A lil help here please!
Reaction score
Some people get their feelings hurt when you say that their favorite QB hasn't proven himself yet at the position. The TH that you've seen to this point would be nonexistent once DB hangs it up. If a teams offers a #1, this organization wouldn't blink as they snatched it!

sammymvpknight

Inner circle
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yup. The only 2 QB's who strike fear in the hearts of tacklers are Cam and Hill. Of course, we would have about 4-6 heart attacks per game as well. People fear Jackson because he may break your ACL and u end up on a highlight reel. But Derrick Henry like fear??? Only Cam and Hill.
Josh Allen

Saint Lattimore

Restricted Airspace
Reaction score
Now I wait while you explain to
me how a ginger challenging another blanco is playing the race card
The guy said that Westhoff who “shares the same skin pigmentation as me” said that Hill throws better than Lamar Jackson. He clearly made it as if race was the issue. To the point that EW tried to turn it away from race... because that is NOT the issue. It’s a coach giving his opinion on which player throws better. Skin color has nothing to with it, but the guy on the pod tried to make it that way.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom