Miles has been bought out (1 Viewer)

You

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
LSU settled with Les Miles. He’ll get a lump sum of $1.5mm of the remainder of the $6.5 that he’s owed which was being paid out monthly.

I expect that this will precede an eventual announcement of his re entering the coaching ranks.

Kansas?

Was there a stipulation preventing him from coaching while receiving this from LSU? If so then I fully expect him to be a Jayhawk.

Was there a stipulation preventing him from coaching while receiving this from LSU? If so then I fully expect him to be a Jayhawk.
Yeah, he needed to either settle with LSU or not coach until the deal ended which I think was 2023 but he was suppose to be actively looking for a coaching job.
I’m certain he’s got a coaching gig or else he’d not leave that much on the table. Rumors have been Kansas for over a week so I expect that’s where he’ll land.

I really hope he does well

Last edited:
You can be sure he'll be tapping into Louisiana's talent pool. Don't know who'd want to go to Kansas, but he will try.

LSU would pay the difference between what was earned by Les at the new school and what his contract owed him. I don't have any clue why he would take the lump sum like that, but I'm sure we will find out pretty soon. I'm willing to bet he doesn't take the KU job though. There is no future for that program that Les can create. That needs a young guy full of piss and vinegar who is going to be around for a while.

I really don’t see the financial incentive for Miles to take the buyout. There is no way Kansas pays him enough to make up the difference. Hell he probably loses money in year 1. It is almost like the man bleeds purple and gold and decided to cut the university some slack. Maybe they can actually grab a top OC now.

I really don’t see the financial incentive for Miles to take the buyout. There is no way Kansas pays him enough to make up the difference. Hell he probably loses money in year 1. It is almost like the man bleeds purple and gold and decided to cut the university some slack. Maybe they can actually grab a top OC now.
Depends.
Either 6.5 mil between now and 2023 from LSU or a few mil (2-3mil)a year from Kansas (not KsU) plus the 1.5mil he just banked from LSU and maybe some guranteed money from Kansas. Lets say he’ll get 2.5mil a year from Kansas. (Maybe much more) Add the 1.5 and that’s 4mil in 2019 alone. Looks like a smart financial move now. Plus he wants to coach and he has connections at Kansas.

Considering Orgeron’s low pay, What originally seemed to be a bad deal for LSU in firing Miles has now worked out to be a good financial deal for LSU as it turns out. If we get 10 wins with this schedule... it’s a good deal for the fans too!
Props to ..... gulp.....Alleva ...

Last edited:
Quick someone bet MLU.
Shoulda took me on it.

I guess Les is banking on low expectations for KU fans? If he gets them 3-4 seasons of 7 wins they'll probably erect a statue and proclaim themselves to be a "football school".

I can only imagine the interest he will get abroad College and NFL if he were to get 9+ wins

I can only imagine the interest he will get abroad College and NFL if he were to get 9+ wins

Les is 65 years old. He needed to take a job very soon to make a program his own. Also, he has enough money to do whatever he wants. He probably just wanted to work. There's not many Bill Snyders out there working in their 70s.

As a Jayhawk fan (dad went there), I looooooove this hire. If you're going to be bad, at least be interesting. Les was a very good coach at both Oklahoma St and LSU. Don't count him out.

Also, they're going to be investing a lot in the football facilities in the very near term.

There is no expecation to compete with OU any time soon if ever. But this is a quality hire for a program like Kansas.

Les is 65 years old. He needed to take a job very soon to make a program his own. Also, he has enough money to do whatever he wants. He probably just wanted to work. There's not many Bill Snyders out there working in their 70s.

As a Jayhawk fan (dad went there), I looooooove this hire. If you're going to be bad, at least be interesting. Les was a very good coach at both Oklahoma St and LSU. Don't count him out.

Also, they're going to be investing a lot in the football facilities in the very near term.

There is no expecation to compete with OU any time soon if ever. But this is a quality hire for a program like Kansas.

Disagree, he was a tremendous recruiter while at LSU, he was a terrible coach. I can't think of a college coach that wasted more talent than Miles. For a long time LSU had the most players in the NFL, they should have won 1-2 more national championships with those teams...he is a dinosaur offensively, refuses to change with the game....LSU kept him around about 3 years longer than they should have....and don't even get me started on clock management....

I think Les can get them bowl eligble within the first 3 years and that will be huge for that program.
After that, he’ll have to work hard to make a dent in the big 12. Texas, oklahoma, west va, iowa... all recruit well and play better than Les Miles will do.

I hope he does well though

Les was a class act even after he was fired. College football needs him.
1542661740015.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom