Military Saints fans--need some advice (1 Viewer)

Saint Tex

Delvin, Bro
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I know we have a lot of current and former military on the board. My nephew is going to Afghanistan in January, and I wanted to give him the best, warmest, lightest, strongest--you get the picture--long underwear I can find for Christmas.

Those of you who have been in cold climates--what's the best?

I know we have a lot of current and former military on the board. My nephew is going to Afghanistan in January, and I wanted to give him the best, warmest, lightest, strongest--you get the picture--long underwear I can find for Christmas.

Those of you who have been in cold climates--what's the best?
That depends on what he does. Something good for a mechanic might be too bulky/ restricting for someone in combat arms.

what does he do. but besides staying warm. i spent 8 months in iraq. the best thing i brought with me was a air matress. if he will. if you get a twin air matress with a small pump early enopugh he can put it with the vehicles befor they ship them. but i know it sounds stupid but i was the envy on my co. with mine

I used live in the woods in North Louisiana for a week at a time.

For toasty warmth, nothing beats POLYPROPYLENE THICK
ARMY UNDERWEAR. Nickname: POLY's

It's standard issue for colder climates, but Louisiana is in the Subtropical Zone on the Army's charts, so they wouldn't issue us any. So, my fellow instructors and I bought our own. Three sets.

Here's what it looks like.
http://www.gigainc.com/pages/thermals_military.htm

Thanks for the responses. He's a helicopter pilot.

I'm going to check out the polys.

Check out a company called US Calvary. On the web at http://www.uscav.com

http://www.uscav.com/category.aspx?catid=31&tabID=1

If that link doesnt work right, select Military, then clothing, then base layer. They have the polypropyls and other good keep warm gear.

This is official issue gear. I order keep warm clothing and outdoor/active stuff from US Calvary all the time and can vouch that they are a top notch company.

I found that the long Under Armor clothing works really well and is light weight. I am warm by nature and I like cold weather so it didn't bother me as much. But I know wearing it under my flight suits helped because it is not bulky. Hope that helps.

Who is your nephew? I am a blackhawk pilot leaving for Afghan in Jan.

Poly Pros and Under Armor are good but are not authorized for flight, anything for flight has to be 100% cotton. You can get some white long johns from Wal-mart.

He should not need an air mattress either, we will be given twin size mattresses.

Maybe a heated blanket, but whatever you get he will need it soon we are shipping our stuff soon.

Who is your nephew? I am a blackhawk pilot leaving for Afghan in Jan.

Poly Pros and Under Armor are good but are not authorized for flight, anything for flight has to be 100% cotton. You can get some white long johns from Wal-mart.

He should not need an air mattress either, we will be given twin size mattresses.

Maybe a heated blanket, but whatever you get he will need it soon we are shipping our stuff soon.

Yeah, but the all white long johns suck. I wore the Under Armor stuff, even though it was unauthorized, because it was under my flight suit and covered up by all the flame retartent material. I'm not telling him to break the rules, but if you want to get warm............

Most of the time I would wear a long sleeve T-shirt and that would do the trick because adrenalin was pumping through me:ezbill: Plus, you pilots are warmer up front than the crew chiefs in the back.

Thanks, Hawkdriver. My nephew is Lt. Will Revels, although the military renamed him Rob because his first name is Robert. He flies a Chinook.

I was thinking more of the time he had to spend on the ground. The underarmour stuff looks good, and I'm checking out the other ideas.

Thank you to all who replied. I knew I could depend on y'all to let me know what's best.

The military should provide him with enough equipment, the Army gave me underarmour and all kinds of other stuff also

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom