Militia members arrested in alleged mosque attack plot (1 Viewer)

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Militia members arrested in alleged mosque attack plot

Three right-wing militia members have been arrested for allegedly planning attacks at a mosque and a housing complex in Kansas, CBS News has learned.

The attack would have specifically targeted Somali refugees, a source told CBS News.
The charges were announced by the U.S. Attorney’s Office at a news conference Friday in Wichita.

:jpshakehead:

Didn't realize that "terrorist" was spelled "m-i-l-i-t-i-a".

I think they'll be added to the list eventually, if they keep this up.

an 8 month investigation??

Didn't realize that "terrorist" was spelled "m-i-l-i-t-i-a".

I think they'll be added to the list eventually, if they keep this up.

an 8 month investigation??

The DHS already considers many militia members as domestic terrorists.

From a 2009 report, "Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment."

https://fas.org/irp/eprint/rightwing.pdf

"The DHS/Office of Intelligence and Analysis (I&A) has no specific information that domestic rightwing terrorists are currently planning acts of violence, but rightwing extremists may be gaining new recruits by playing on their fears about several emergent issues."

"
Rightwing extremism in the United States can be broadly divided into those groups, movements, and adherents that are primarily hate-oriented (based on hatred of particular religious, racial or ethnic groups), and those that are mainly antigovernment, rejecting federal authority in favor of state or local authority, or rejecting government authority entirely. It may include groups and individuals that are dedicated to a single issue, such as opposition to abortion or immigration." (My bolding for emphasis.)

So basically if you have a belief, any right wing belief, such as opposition to abortion, or immigration, or states rights, or whatever, you can be labeled a domestic terrorist. I guess they need someone to use all of those hollowpoints on.

Edited to add: I do not condone what these people were doing but the immensely broad brush used to define a domestic terrorist is pretty scary.

They are charged with domestic terrorism FWIW, per CNN. Not sure how it could be interpreted as anything else.

I'm 90% certain at least a handful of militia guys will find a way to get killed in a few weeks. I just hope it doesn't chain react to get them going, and that not many innocent people get hurt by their nonsense. I'm hoping for all the stupid talk, once they realize they're shooting at the first responders or guardsmen they'd normally praise that it wakes them the hell up fast.

Too many people in the Trump campaign and in the GOP are being hesitant about stomping out this kind of talk. Pence at least gave the mildest of rebukes to it, but generally there's been more fanning of the flames than attempts to settle them down.

From a 2009 report, "Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment."

"The DHS/Office of Intelligence and Analysis (I&A) has no specific information that domestic rightwing terrorists are currently planning acts of violence, but rightwing extremists may be gaining new recruits by playing on their fears about several emergent issues."

"
Rightwing extremism in the United States can be broadly divided into those groups, movements, and adherents that are primarily hate-oriented (based on hatred of particular religious, racial or ethnic groups), and those that are mainly antigovernment, rejecting federal authority in favor of state or local authority, or rejecting government authority entirely. It may include groups and individuals that are dedicated to a single issue, such as opposition to abortion or immigration." (My bolding for emphasis.)

So basically if you have a belief, any right wing belief, such as opposition to abortion, or immigration, or states rights, or whatever, you can be labeled a domestic terrorist. I guess they need someone to use all of those hollowpoints on.

Edited to add: I do not condone what these people were doing but the immensely broad brush used to define a domestic terrorist is pretty scary.

You can oppose whatever you want, it's the advocating violently overthrowing the government or causing harm to others that gets your "militia" placed on that list.

"

Surely less scary than the one some people are using to define Islamic terrorist.

You can oppose whatever you want, it's the advocating violently overthrowing the government or causing harm to others that gets your "militia" placed on that list.

In your professional opinion, what happens when Trump starts advocating violence?

In your professional opinion, what happens when Trump starts advocating violence?

It depends. If he's president, we go to war with the world. If he still has money, he's fined. If he's broke, Ruby Ridge II.

Honestly, I don't know.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom