Mind boggling stat about Saints Wrs last night (1 Viewer)

💯 agree. Could this group on the field at WR be the worst in NFL history? They’re the worst I’ve seen in my 40 years as a Saints fan. Even back to the Carl Smith days.
There is no doubt they are the worst. We knew this going in. We can also reasonably assume that very few will be on an nfl roster at this time next years.

What I have to say about our WR corps is against SR's TOS, so I won't say it.

What I can say is... aside from MT, Deonte and Callaway (2 of which didn't play last night)... we need better players at that position.

It doesn't matter how good the opposing defense is. 4/16 is abysmal. That is getting basically zero production from an entire position group.
That’s an interesting stat, but it can be very misleading without context. I’d have to go back to count how many were drops, how many were bad throws, and how many were thrown to a bad spot. I remember a few were out of reach, and one to Calloway that was thrown toward the side of the defender, so Calloway didn’t have a chance. The contextual stat would be how many drops were there that should’ve been caught.

Still people put it on Jameis who actually had a pretty good game.

Great decisions! No turnovers from his side. Quick released when necessary

He ran the ball very smart when he had to!

Considering the weather and our horrible receiving corps, Jameis did a tremendous job under center

I think that aspect of his game is undervalued but he had key runs to keep the chains moving.

He's a big guy but he can move & scoot when he has to.

They caught only 4 of 16 targets last night. The TEs caught 4 of 4 targets of course Trautman had that horrible fumble, Kamara of 10 of 11.

I don't think any team has in last 20 years has won a game where the recieving corp caught 4 passes. The fact against Seattle's horrible secondary that they caught only 4 passes highlights how bad this group truly is.
The offense was putrid. Just not used to seeing a Sean Payton offense play that poorly. And it was almost entirely due to the WRs either not getting open or not catching the ball when they did get open.

There is no doubt they are the worst. We knew this going in. We can also reasonably assume that very few will be on an nfl roster at this time next years.
How awesome is it that we are finding ways to overcome. Aside from a late game collapse we’d be near perfect on the season. That’s incredible to me, with this little skill position talent on the field on O.

Our WRs are not good outside of MT, Calloway, and Harris... We know this.... some of us have been begging for a high draft pick to be used there for years precisely because of the situation we are in now....

That said, 2 things can be true at the same time... and If you are being totally honest with yourself, it was easy to see that our WRs had a bad night, but also JW deserves a good bit of credit / blame for these numbers too. He was very inaccurate with the ball early on, and was inconsistent with his reads, anticipation, and placement pretty much throughout the game.

That said, I thought JW did what he had to do, and he protected the ball (Which is job #1 for him in this situation).... and I thought Calloway stepped up late in the game when we needed him.

Can we please end the Kevin white experiment? Dude keeps dropping balls that are where they should be. There has to be better FA WRs.
I thought about Kevin White failing to catch, and then realized that his history is that he gets open easily, then too often fails to catch the ball. However, as a defensive coordinator, you can't just leave him alone out there and hope he'll drop the ball.

Kevin White might be what forces teams into zone coverage and opens things up for Kamara underneath.

I thought about Kevin White failing to catch, and then realized that his history is that he gets open easily, then too often fails to catch the ball. However, as a defensive coordinator, you can't just leave him alone out there and hope he'll drop the ball.

Kevin White might be what forces teams into zone coverage and opens things up for Kamara underneath.
It sounds crazy (like a WR who can only block) but I agree.

Eventually he has to catch the ball though...as it stands right now, it's like leaving Shaq open behind the 3pt line...KW is self checked until he proves me wrong, and he'd have to do it twice for me to change coverage.

TQS had a drop and ran a terrible route on two of those incompletions.

Stills just coughed up a perfect deep ball in the 3rd quarter.

Both throws to White were a little too far off, though on the deep ball, he got his hands on it which means he could have/should have brought it in.

The pass in the end zone to Callaway was an error on both parts. Callway was so open, he should have parked in the clear spot and allowed Winston to fire one in. Instead he kept running towards the defender, essentially closing the opening in the zone. However, Winston hesitated and missed the initial opening and then drifted back and to the left (back...and to the left) and thew an off balance throw to a drifting receiver. I think the film review on that play is going to irritate Payton big time. It was a TD by design and should have worked.

Overall the receivers are not pulling their weight. That won't fly next week.

The rain played a factor but the receiving Corp has been bad all year. So it’s tough to blame it on the rain…yeah yeah.

The defense is good and so is the punter.

Don’t count the CGM egg until it hatches.
It feels as if the CGM egg is going to stay in the incubator. 🙂

Saints have to bite the bullet and trade for another WR. Maybe a young (and cheap) wideout that has fallen out of favor with the organization that drafted him. Even with MT back in the lineup, our offense needs more playmakers. The way they are using Kamara, he won't make the entire season.

With that said, Winston has to improve his anticipation and reads. Several times he was late on a throw (its been happening all year). If that doesn't improve dramatically, we have to move on from the Jameis experiment. Call it the eye test. Winston does not look fluid and comfortable. Look at 2nd year QBs Burrow and Herbert.....you can tell those two have "it". Not sure Winston does. He can make all the throws, but not sure he has "it".

I really don't think Seattle's defense is as bad as it's being made out to be, honestly. Look at their schedule, there's some heavy-hitters in there. AJ Brown/Julio Jones/Derrick Henry, Justin Jefferson/Adam Thielen, Deebo Samuel/Kittle (+Division game), Kupp/Woods/Jackson/Jefferson. Those guys (and coaches, in McVay's case) are going to get theirs. Just like DK did tonight (even if it was OPI).

I think those number are just slightly skewed in the same way the Saints numbers are defensively (Don't come at me, just stating that the Saint's haven't exactly played explosive offenses. You could argue that Carolina and NY were, but we all saw the result of those games.). They're probably a bit better than the numbers say they are. That said, I haven't watch any Seahawks games since we played them last (and was immediately reminded why. That entire team lack class.), so I'm just going by stats.
Green Bay's offense is no cupcake.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom