Mind Games: How Ryan Ramczyk Dominated JJ Watt and the Houston Texans (1 Viewer)

It's implied in the post, but I think it's worth mentioning explicitly the sheer hours of film and preparation Ramczyk had to have put in to perform that well against JJ Watt. He was so patient and precise with his hands, and that is not easy against a pass rusher like Watt who not only has quick hands but extremely violent strikes and a deep arsenal of pass rush moves. I don't think I saw a snap where Watt was easily able to get his hands on Ramczyk first, which is why he wasn't winning those 1-on-1 battles.

The first clip is from one of (if not the) first passes of the game. Watt opened up with a bull rush and Ramczyk was clearly ready for it. That false punch getting Watt to engage in the bull rush 1 or 2 steps before he should have gave Ram the time and space to anchor down, lower his pads and absorb the bull rush without having to recover.

Normally OLmen have to use a "hop-back" technique to counter a bull rush with 2nd effort. That allows a powerful DLman (like JJ Watt) to push for extension and either 'push-pull' or counter with another pass rush move. The fact that Ram baited him into it made it so he just absorbed the bull rush, stayed balanced and completely neutralized Watt right then and there.

It is hard to fully appreciate how difficult it is to straight up stonewall a bull rush by JJ Watt.

It's implied in the post, but I think it's worth mentioning explicitly the sheer hours of film and preparation Ramczyk had to have put in to perform that well against JJ Watt. He was so patient and precise with his hands, and that is not easy against a pass rusher like Watt who not only has quick hands but extremely violent strikes and a deep arsenal of pass rush moves. I don't think I saw a snap where Watt was easily able to get his hands on Ramczyk first, which is why he wasn't winning those 1-on-1 battles.

We here at SSF also think it's worth mentioning explicitly the sheer hours of film (video) and editing that Coach TCU Dan had to put in to develop a post with the quality that he did. Yours is the POTD, sir!

Hat tip to coach Dan! :beerchug: :worthy:

:gosaints:

Last edited:
We here at SSF also think it's worth mentioning explicitly the sheer hours of film (video) and editing that Coach TCU Dan had to put in to develop a post with the quality that he did. Yours is the POTD, sir!

Hat tip to coach Dan! :beerchug: :worthy:

:gosaints:

Don't mention it, 75% of what a coach does is break down film. Just another day at the office. (y)

Great breakdown, appreciate the effort.

OL, being such a smart and tightly-knit group, will learn from each other. Some of our guys may have taught some those techniques to Ram. If not, he will certainly teach it to the other OL.

Possible nugget here for everyone.

Studying J.J. Watt is something they actually did at the OL Masterminds summit. Duke Manyweather and the group discussed how JJ always reacts with his counter as soon as an OL flashes, so it's one of his (few) tells. Terron Armstead, Andrus Peat and Erik McCoy all work with Duke. Something Terron could have passed on to help RR prepare.

Possible nugget here for everyone.

Studying J.J. Watt is something they actually did at the OL Masterminds summit. Duke Manyweather and the group discussed how JJ always reacts with his counter as soon as an OL flashes, so it's one of his (few) tells. Terron Armstead, Andrus Peat and Erik McCoy all work with Duke. Something Terron could have passed on to help RR prepare.

That’s great.

Do they study Aaron Donald, too?

Best post/thread I've read since backflipping/cartwheeling dline one.

Wonderful analysis! Thank you for doing that.

There is so much that goes on in a football game the average fan has no idea about. Ramczyk is the best right tackle in the NFL.

Jeff Ireland knows how to pick em. Buy that man a steak.

I've never seen a lineman use headfakes. Hats off to Ram this performance should have won him Player of the Week. He keeps this up and All Pro honors should be coming his way.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom