Mingo/Ogletree are not very different at all from Tez (1 Viewer)

BPA. If it's Mingo, so be it. I would prefer we sign a veteran rather than have 3 OLB that are new to the 3-4. I still think people are overlooking Junior, who I believe will have double digit sacks this season.

During this entire offseason draft process the 2 players that we have been associated with and talked to the most have been:

1. Alec Ogletree
2. Jamie Collins

I assume 1 thing when I take that into consideration. We're probably going to trade down if the right opportunity presents itself. We could get both if we play our draft day cards right.

sorry, have to disagree. Tez has been on team a couple of years now and has no way shown that he is a top 15 pick. There's a reason the saints are trying to sign another olb. If Tez is the starter, i fear it will be a long year. he shows flashes of course, and I'm rooting for him, but he has been very inconsistent. We need to upgrade our pass rush. Having the same measurables means almost nothing. Having the talent and consistency is what's imporant. I know tez is one of the board favorites, but I'm willing to upgrade over a favorite. After 2 years he wasn't even the starter. Yo can't really compare that to players currently projected in the top 15. Sure they might turn out to be busts, or non-starters too, but right now they project to be much much better than Tez, and his 2 years has not shown him to be a dominant pass rusher and full time player

The diff beteween Tez, Ogletree and Mingo is that Mingo played DE in college and excelled... he rushed the passer from the edge... that's what he does. He's the better of the 3 at rushing the passer, which is what we need.

Sure Tez has played there last season but he has had limited time there. You can never have too many good pass rushers... I say take Mingo at 15 (since Jones will more than likely be gone).

mingo can be used in coverage, cover flat, seams underneath all effectively....not simply because he's tall and lanky, not dropping in a zone....I'm talking send him to erase a check down to a te, back,...etc. he can get it done raw now.

tez is not that fluid imo. he'd rely solely on length and speed vs space....which is good not complaining.

we will get away with murder if we walked away after the draft with galette, tez and mingo. .....or jjones for that matter.

we are going to leave this draft upgraded no doubt

I've seen no realistic mock drafts having us take Mingo. He won't get past 8

14.Both Tez and Mingo have around the same speed, and elite pursuit. I havent seen enough of Alec to say.

Martez Wilson ran a 4.49 40 and Mingo ran a 4.58. So Wilson's straight line speed is better. It has been pointed in numerous threads that Wilson's best spot is SOLB/SILB anyway so it seems this discussion is superfluous.

I know Mingo has better pass rush potential and flexibility to hit the corner, but Mingo just using his speed to blow by the tackle every play sounds eerily familiar to Tez. That stuff will get stonewalled in the pro's

I see a lot of mocks mocking us to get Mingo and some people considering us to get Ogletree after moving down but it does not really make sense to me considering we may have a player that is better than both in Tez and very similar in terms of skill set.

Strengths of Tez:

Tez has a better burst than both IMO.(tied 10 yard split with Mingo; much better 40 yard dash than both)
Tez is taller than Ogletree and around the same height as Mingo.
Tez is better in coverage than Mingo.
Tez is faster than both and has the best pursuit.
Tez is bigger than both.
Tez and Ogletree tie in hitpower and tackle ability with Mingo in 3rd.
Tez has 2 years of experience in the NFL.
He just needs to learn more on pass rushing and the man who helped Ware and Spencer have career years can help with that.

Im not sure the following things are worth the 15th overall pick when we have the stuff mentioned above already on the team:

Mingo has the most pass rush moves and experience as a pass rusher.
Mingo has longest arms.
Mingo uses hands viciously

Ogletree is probably best in coverage out of the three.

What would be the point in drafting one of these guys so high when we already have a player who is EXTREMELY similar/ better than both. They are both raw anyway so why not develop Tez who has the best measurables and already has 2 years experience.

I don't know how accurate your assessment of these players are but I tend to agree that Tez looks to be good enough to put on the field and I don't see the point of drafting a guy at the same position unless he's head and shoulders better...

Having said that, we might find that the Saints understand this as well and like that the media and fans are being misdirected... I'm starting to feel that we're going tackle in the 1st, if the player is there...

Mingo benefitted from the outstanding secondary few years back when Claiborne and Peterson locked their players down. However, this past year Mingo disappeared simply bcuz he didn't have the players behind him to cause the QB to hesitate for that split sec. Don't get me wrong I'm highly a Mingo fan n hopes he does well, but unless he goes to someone with the above average talent in their secondary he will again disappear. Needless to say, we don't have those players in our backfield. Signing Lewis is a start but he won't be our savior, I see us struggling again in our coverage again this year but pray that I'm proved wrong.

I'm sorry but you can't compare Tez to two guys who may be top 20 picks in the draft.

Why not?? Hype.. You take out an injury issues in college and Tez might have been a top 10 player.. He has all the measurables and I've SEEN Tez run over a guard to his back and seen him chase down Cam Newton in pursuit and many other things that make me think he could be a player... Don't get caught up in the draft hype...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom