Mingo/Ogletree are not very different at all from Tez (1 Viewer)

whodatdb

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I see a lot of mocks mocking us to get Mingo and some people considering us to get Ogletree after moving down but it does not really make sense to me considering we may have a player that is better than both in Tez and very similar in terms of skill set.

Strengths of Tez:

Tez has a better burst than both IMO.(tied 10 yard split with Mingo; much better 40 yard dash than both)
Tez is taller than Ogletree and around the same height as Mingo.
Tez is better in coverage than Mingo.
Tez is faster than both and has the best pursuit.
Tez is bigger than both.
Tez and Ogletree tie in hitpower and tackle ability with Mingo in 3rd.
Tez has 2 years of experience in the NFL.
He just needs to learn more on pass rushing and the man who helped Ware and Spencer have career years can help with that.

Im not sure the following things are worth the 15th overall pick when we have the stuff mentioned above already on the team:

Mingo has the most pass rush moves and experience as a pass rusher.
Mingo has longest arms.
Mingo uses hands viciously

Ogletree is probably best in coverage out of the three.

What would be the point in drafting one of these guys so high when we already have a player who is EXTREMELY similar/ better than both. They are both raw anyway so why not develop Tez who has the best measurables and already has 2 years experience.

Ogletree reminds me a lot of Tez. Go watch thier film cuts juxtaposed.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I see what you are saying and I agree with you. I just don't feel like we need to draft another pass rusher when as coach Payton would say that guy could potentially already be in the building. I mean we already have two guys on the roster in Tez and Gallette that have not been given the chance to show what they can do in a system that fits their skill sets perfectly. I think we should be patient in free agency let the market settle and bring in a veteran 3-4 OLB prior to the start of camp for the vet minimum load the contract up with a bunch of incentives provided he makes team and let him compete with the young guys. IMO the best option would be to draft Ogletree as an eventual replacement for Vilma and let him sit and learn from one of the best. While he is waiting in the wings he can contirbute by playing on all of the special teams units where he would be instant upgrade over what we currently have. He can also be used in subpackages to get some game experience similar to how GW used Tez when he first came into the league. Drafting Ogletree is the right move for the saints to make IMHO its a win-win situation.

I see a lot of mocks mocking us to get Mingo and some people considering us to get Ogletree after moving down but it does not really make sense to me considering we may have a player that is better than both in Tez and very similar in terms of skill set.

Strengths of Tez:

Tez has a better burst than both IMO.
Tez is taller than Ogletree and around the same height as Mingo.
Tez is better in coverage than Mingo.
Tez is faster than both and has the best pursuit.
Tez is bigger than both.
Tez and Ogletree tie in hitpower and tackle ability with Mingo in 3rd.
Tez has 2 years of experience in the NFL.
He just needs to learn more on pass rushing and the man who helped Ware and Spencer have career years can help with that.

Im not sure the following things are worth the 15th overall pick when we have the stuff mentioned above already on the team:

Mingo has the most pass rush moves and experience as a pass rusher.
Mingo has longest arms.
Mingo uses hands viciously

Ogletree is probably best in coverage out of the three.

What would be the point in drafting one of these guys so high when we already have a player who is EXTREMELY similar/ better than both. They are both raw anyway so why not develop Tez who has the best measurables and already has 2 years experience.

1. Mingo is easily the most explosive of all three
2. They are all withing an inch of eachother height wise
3. While I do agree, there gas been very little times when Mingo was asked to cover, so its hard to truely say. Mingo has the potential to be much better in coverage then Tez, due to Tez having really stiff hips.
4.Both Tez and Mingo have around the same speed, and elite pursuit. I havent seen enough of Alec to say.
5. He is the biggest out of them, but also has the stiffest hips out of them.
6. I would agree with your "hit power" ranking

Mingo like you said is EASILY the best pass rusher out of the three, his combination of quick twitch explosion and hand use is something Tez lacks. In Tez's two years he also hasent shown the ability to line up 1 on 1 and constantly win his match ups. Most of his sacks have come off of blitz's. The idea in drafting Mingo (although personally I think Tez is an ILB in a 3-4) would be that he offers instant upgrade in pass rush ability, something we lacked last year. And the potential to become a great player, which is something Tez has not shown in his 2 years.

1. Mingo is easily the most explosive of all three
2. They are all withing an inch of eachother height wise
3. While I do agree, there gas been very little times when Mingo was asked to cover, so its hard to truely say. Mingo has the potential to be much better in coverage then Tez, due to Tez having really stiff hips.
4.Both Tez and Mingo have around the same speed, and elite pursuit. I havent seen enough of Alec to say.
5. He is the biggest out of them, but also has the stiffest hips out of them.
6. I would agree with your "hit power" ranking

Mingo like you said is EASILY the best pass rusher out of the three, his combination of quick twitch explosion and hand use is something Tez lacks. In Tez's two years he also hasent shown the ability to line up 1 on 1 and constantly win his match ups. Most of his sacks have come off of blitz's. The idea in drafting Mingo (although personally I think Tez is an ILB in a 3-4) would be that he offers instant upgrade in pass rush ability, something we lacked last year. And the potential to become a great player, which is something Tez has not shown in his 2 years.
Agree with your points, but do you truly think Tez has been given the opportunity to show if he can be great in a position where he is made to excel? I wouldnt say so. Last year was a wasted year trying to transition to DE in Spags system, and the year before he did not see the field enough. I say this year is his time to prove his worth. I think he will not dissapoint.

Tez has no pass rush moves and can't bend around the edge. He'd be comparable to Manny Lawson at SOLB but maybe not as strong setting the edge.

Mingo on the other hand can rush the passer which combined with his explosive ability and strong hand punch makes him worth the 15th overall pick. He's gone up against SEC right tackles his whole career and while he might not be ideal at setting the edge that's something that he can develop into while in the meantime instantly improving our pass rush which has been keeping Payton up at night.

I agree 100% WHODATDB. Just about every mock I've seen, has us taking a pass rush. My question for those ppl is: What makes them think Tez can't be our guy, what do they do that he can't do?? Instead of drafting a pass rush backer, why not teach the prototypical mold player we have the tricks of the trade. That way we can focus on the secondary whether is taking Xavier Rhodes or Vaccaro (if available of course) to help out in coverage.

I'm sorry but you can't compare Tez to two guys who may be top 20 picks in the draft.

I'm sorry but you can't compare Tez to two guys who may be top 20 picks in the draft.
draft position means nothing..

Can I compare Atkins to Akoye? how about Dumervil to Gholston? How about Foster to Wells?

Tez had a better 40 than Mingo and an equal 10 yard split so that shows there explosiveness is very comparable. Mingo hasn't really shown an ability to bend around the corner and he hasn't shown the ability to disengage from blocks.

and for whoever said something about heart. Heart is something you either have or you dont and both Mingo and Tez have it.

we need 4 outside LBs, it's not competition between tez and a draft pick yet, we only have tez and Galette, we need more to compete for the starting job, not just designate Tez the starter on potential and not draft players to compete and have depth.

I think that one of these three will fall to the Saints: Mingo, Jones, or Jordan. Every year a team picks a player that no one saw coming. The "experts" keep saying that only one QB will be taken top ten but I see two being gone by the 12th pick. If either of those players are there the Saints are running to the podium before Hodell skips our turn.

Tez and Mingo in my opinion are both raw and jammed pack with potential, but potential doesn't mean squat on Sundays. Tez has been proving that for 2 years, because to be honest he is the most impressive athletic specimen we have on defense but that in no way correlates to production play time or effectiveness.

we need 4 outside LBs, it's not competition between tez and a draft pick yet, we only have tez and Galette, we need more to compete for the starting job, not just designate Tez the starter on potential and not draft players to compete and have depth.
I don't have a problem with going OLB 1st round but I question why we would go with Mingo when we have a very similar player already. Why not go after someone with a different skill set like Jones or Werner or Ansah. Or Brandon Jenkins or Trevardo Williams in the 4th.

I don't have a problem with going OLB 1st round but I question why we would go with Mingo when we have a very similar player already. Why not go after someone with a different skill set like Jones or Werner or Ansah. Or Brandon Jenkins or Trevardo Williams in the 4th. Or

Very good post.

A compliment to Tez in rotation not a duplicate.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom