Minkah Fitzpatrick want out of Miami?? (1 Viewer)

Infoman

Lawd Have Mercy!
Reaction score
It's a no-brainer IMO.... He's a 2nd year player that has 4 seasons left on his rookie deal... Was a high 1st round pick... and Was one of the best secondary players in the NFL last year.... It would be extremely unlikely that we find a player of his caliber in the low 2nd or 3rd rounds of the draft.... Heck, maybe not the late 1st...

If they would accept 1 pick and 1 player... I'd be listening, even if they wanted a 1st (we might be able to re-coup a 2nd or 2nd and 4th).... Who knows... that said, players like him (young, talented, productive, under contract) are never up for trade... so you have to at least give it a shot IMO.

sammymvpknight

The People's Champ
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's a no-brainer IMO.... He's a 2nd year player that has 4 seasons left on his rookie deal... Was a high 1st round pick... and Was one of the best secondary players in the NFL last year.... It would be extremely unlikely that we find a player of his caliber in the low 2nd or 3rd rounds of the draft.... Heck, maybe not the late 1st...

If they would accept 1 pick and 1 player... I'd be listening, even if they wanted a 1st (we might be able to re-coup a 2nd or 2nd and 4th).... Who knows... that said, players like him (young, talented, productive, under contract) are never up for trade... so you have to at least give it a shot IMO.
The challenge is that the Saints projected draft position really hurts us. Teams know that the Saints will likely be picking late, so there are over 20 teams that could easily outbid us.

Saint Droopy

Born/Raised in Hollygrove
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You make that move if you're in the Saints FO. See if they'll take a 2, but you have no problems giving up a 1. here's why... we need a slot corner. Maybe we have a competent slot on the roster, but PRob isn't the PRob from Philly. PJ is still PJ... and we really don't know what we have in Chauncey.

We'll be choosing at the end of the first round, so any player that you take will PROBABLY not be as good as Minkah. You also have his 5th year option, and you're not on the hook for his rookie signing bonus.

Make that trade and you've strengthened your defense big time.

Saint Lattimore

Restricted Airspace
Reaction score
I’m hoping the Saints get in the mix here and end up making a deal for Fitzpatrick. He has the ability to be an impact player in the league and can solve one of the Saints defense’s major holes in the slot CB role. This would allow the Saints to then focus on developing CJGJ as a true SS in the event that Vonn Bell is not able to be re-signed following the season. I’d do it for a 2nd in a heartbeat... and I’d even do it for a 1, if the Saints could get a 2nd or 3rd back on the comeback.

SAINTSFAN

Contributor
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You make that move if you're in the Saints FO. See if they'll take a 2, but you have no problems giving up a 1. here's why... we need a slot corner. Maybe we have a competent slot on the roster, but PRob isn't the PRob from Philly. PJ is still PJ... and we really don't know what we have in Chauncey.

We'll be choosing at the end of the first round, so any player that you take will PROBABLY not be as good as Minkah. You also have his 5th year option, and you're not on the hook for his rookie signing bonus.

Make that trade and you've strengthened your defense big time.
Miami already has our 2 in the trade up for McCoy. We do not have a 2nd rounder to offer.

t-rex23

I Owe Drew
Reaction score
If we don't do everything we can to win the Superbowl this year then what is the point? If he is available we have to go for it. Having a bad slot corner almost cost us the game Monday.

Don't you wish we had a better option at nickel for this game against the Rams?

Winsett

Pro-Bowler
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I really hope the FO at least puts themselves in the conversation on this one. It will be tough to outbid other teams, but I think the Saints are in a good position to make the deal happen. Not a far distance from Alabama/Miami. Very recent trade deals with Miami shows the two organizations are familiar with each other. Fitz would go to a winner, which he evidently wants. A late 1st is a fair deal for a player of his caliber/contract, and a lot of other potential teams with higher picks may not be comfortable trading mid to high 1St rounders for him. Lastly, the Saints have slot options to swap in the exchange (PRob or PJ).

Fitzpatrick easily upgrades the slot now and long term (the secondary's current weakness), and provides depth for the boundary/safety positions (currently shaky depth). Those cheap rookie salary years would also be very helpful when contact negotiations come up for guys like Apple. We are all in right now and if a late 1st got us a player as good as Minkah, we'd all be celebrating the pick anyways.

jdpower13

The french guy
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't see why they would trade him for less than a 1st round pick... only 1 year removed from being picked 11th overal, already paid 10M of his 16.5M contract (signing bonus), has a fith-year option... Whoever trades for him would get a very talented and versatile player on a really cheap contract

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom