Minkah Fitzpatrick want out of Miami?? (1 Viewer)

"It’s been reported by ESPN that Miami’s initial asking price includes a 1st-round pick. That should be considered the minimum acceptable return for Minkah, but considering the long-term loss of Miami making a deal, at least one additional pick would be necessary for justifying a move."

I may be in the minority, but I'd rather not trade several draft picks for next year's draft.

I may be in the minority, but I'd rather not trade several draft picks for next year's draft.

If this is our best year to "win now", then you worry about next year's draft next season. If Fitzpatrick gives you a chance to win a Superbowl "this season", you have to make that deal while Drew is still playing at a high level. Besides, if our season goes well, any 1st round draft spot we get will be no better than a high 2nd round pick anyway.

Especially not for a player that looked like hot garbage last week. I’m with you.

You really think Dolphins players are trying to give 100% effort right now? Not only are they trying to tank, but we are talking about Fitzpatrick because he wants out of Miami. On top of that, Week 1 is the worst possible time to make judgements on players or teams as a whole.

You really think Dolphins players are trying to give 100% effort right now? Not only are they trying to tank, but we are talking about Fitzpatrick because he wants out of Miami. On top of that, Week 1 is the worst possible time to make judgements on players or teams as a whole.

Exactly. So with that logic, we could be just fine with what we've got currently. The guy had a great rookie year. Doesn't mean he'll come in here to a new scheme and be the savior we are hoping for. And giving up a 1st and another pick, while taking on his salary, anything less than stellar play, we are all going to be regretting a move like this, especially during the 2020 draft. Too much of a gamble, IMO.

I don't maybe because the Saints have somewhere around $600k cap space left for this season?

and I know Loomis can magically shift some contracts around, but if we add him that's just another contract to take on, and how will he be able to re-sign/extend Kamara, Ramcyk, and Lattimore all next off-season?

Also early reports are that the Dolphins asking price is apparently pretty outrageous. Multiple 1st rounders minimum.

A team trading for Minkah would only inherit the salary portions of his current rookie contract. Based on Spotrac, the team trading for Minkah would only be taking on cap hits of:

This season (2019) - $1,227,626
Next season (2020) - $1,975,252
2021 - $2,722,878
2022 - 5th year option

For reference, that is cheaper than Ryan Ramczyk's current rookie contract cap hits (which is roughly what it would cost the Saints to pay next year's rookie drafted at the end of the 1st round).

Assuming the $600k figure you provided is correct, (Spotrac and OTC currently show over 2 mil of cap space), whoever the Saints cut or trade to create space on the roster for Minkah would easily pay for Minkah's 2019 cap hit. Trading Ken Crawley would create 2 mil by itself. Trading PJ Williams would create 850k.

As you see, money in this instance is an absolute non-issue. In fact, this actually helps the Saints afford contract extensions for Kamara, Ram, and Lattimore next off-season, because it locks up a starting caliber player for the secondary until at least 2021 for and avg of 2 mil/year. Not only is that a massive discount, but its at a position that will absolutely need filled next season. Apple, PJ, Crawley, and Hardee are all free agents after this season.

A team trading for Minkah would only inherit the salary portions of his current rookie contract. Based on Spotrac, the team trading for Minkah would only be taking on cap hits of:

This season (2019) - $1,227,626
Next season (2020) - $1,975,252
2021 - $2,722,878
2022 - 5th year option

For reference, that is cheaper than Ryan Ramczyk's current rookie contract cap hits (which is roughly what it would cost the Saints to pay next year's rookie drafted at the end of the 1st round).

Assuming the $600k figure you provided is correct, (Spotrac and OTC currently show over 2 mil of cap space), whoever the Saints cut or trade to create space on the roster for Minkah would easily pay for Minkah's 2019 cap hit. Trading Ken Crawley would create 2 mil by itself. Trading PJ Williams would create 850k.

As you see, money in this instance is an absolute non-issue. In fact, this actually helps the Saints afford contract extensions for Kamara, Ram, and Lattimore next off-season, because it locks up a starting caliber player for the secondary until at least 2021 for and avg of 2 mil/year. Not only is that a massive discount, but its at a position that will absolutely need filled next season. Apple, PJ, Crawley, and Hardee are all free agents after this season.

Seriously... The only negative I can think of trading next year's first round pick for minkah is that it would make mock drafting suck again next year for saints fans.

For next year's likely 32 pick we'd be getting a blue chip elite slot corner for the next four years for peanuts. Latt and minkah alone would make our secondary elite... Then figure in Vonn Bell. No, there's no reason not t make the trade if Miami is willing.

One other thought on this... It's gotta suck to be a fins fan atm.

If we could get him for a 2 or 3, I’d be all on board. A 1st, plus a later pick is just too much in my opinion.

Attachments

• EC207FB4-09FF-4E45-BEFA-FA05BE95486F.jpeg
    EC207FB4-09FF-4E45-BEFA-FA05BE95486F.jpeg
    330.4 KB · Views: 33

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom