Mira Furlan: Babylon 5 and Lost actress dies at 65 (1 Viewer)

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It was a couple of days ago, but I didn't see a thread.

Babylon 5 and Lost actress Mira Furlan has died at the age of 65, her family and management have confirmed.
Furlan played Minbari Ambassador Delenn in the 1990s sci-fi TV drama, Babylon 5, and Danielle Rousseau in the noughties mystery drama, Lost.
Her family told the BBC the Croatian actress died on Wednesday due to complications with West Nile Virus.

"It is with great sadness that I confirm the passing of Mira Furlan" the statement read.
"She was a woman full of kindness, strength and compassion."

It continued: "She died peacefully at her home in Los Angeles, surrounded by her family.
"We will all continue to celebrate her life and legacy, and know she'll always be here with us."

I didn't really watch Lost, but I really enjoyed, if not, loved, Babylon 5. Mira was excellent as Delenn. Fiery, passionate, could occupy the moral high ground. So sad how many from that cast have passed away young or relatively young.

She was only known in the US for Babylon 5 and (more) for Lost, but she was a long time vet of the stage and film genre in her home of Yugoslavia, having won many awards and she was even nominated for an Oscar in 1985 before escaping the civil wars that ended Yugoslavia by migrating to the US.

RIP to a great talent.

Really sad. Didn’t watch any of those shows but too young. RIP!!!

HBO Max is releasing a digitally cleaned up version of Babylon 5. She was excellent in the show. The cast that played aliens carried that show and it’s still one of my all time favorites. So many from that show have died early.

HBO Max is releasing a digitally cleaned up version of Babylon 5. She was excellent in the show. The cast that played aliens carried that show and it’s still one of my all time favorites. So many from that show have died early.
Yes, WB finally did a proper re-master. There is a whole long story about why it had to remain in 4:3. They shot the whole show on film and in wide screen, but the CGI was only done in 4:3. There are various stories as to why.

So, HBO Max, iTunes, and Amazon video all have the remastered versions. You can buy them on Amazon, but it's like $30 a season (so, 5 seasons is $150).

It's up there, if not better than Star Trek the Next Generation, just without the production money behind it. Acting is on par or better (Even though I give mad props to Patrick Stewart for superb acting). Lots of great characters and acting from the majority of the cast. The main ambassadors, and command staff definitely do the heavy lifting.

Also, without getting into spoilers, they touch on some topics that are relevant today. If you can make it past season 1, which is mostly setting the stage and leaving you with a lot of questions, the rest really pays off.

I highly recommend people watch it, if they haven't seen it.

I just watched a YouTube comparing the original and remaster. The color clean up and lifting of the darkness is awesome. HBO Max is $70 for 6 months. I may buy it just for Babylon 5.

I’m currently watching TNG 5th season and had to stop DS9 after two seasons once someone here said it finally gets good around season 4. I last rewatch B5 about 2 years ago.

B5 was so far ahead of its time with its serial overarching story and dark in a juxtaposition to Star Trek. Trek is always captain driven and episodes without Picard or Cisco feel like throwaways. B5 could feature almost any actor in an episode and feel like nothing was lost. It was a true ensemble. Mira was excellent.

I never knew how many of the primary actors have passed since the B5 ended. I knew about the guy that played Shikar but didn't know that Furst (vir) Doyle (Garibaldi), and Biggs (Dr Franklin) had also passed along with now Furlan. B5 was one of my favorite shows of the early 90's and i usually rewatch it every year or two. Furlan was character was a critical part of the story line and she played it to perfection.

I never knew how many of the primary actors have passed since the B5 ended. I knew about the guy that played Shikar but didn't know that Furst (vir) Doyle (Garibaldi), and Biggs (Dr Franklin) had also passed along with now Furlan. B5 was one of my favorite shows of the early 90's and i usually rewatch it every year or two. Furlan was character was a critical part of the story line and she played it to perfection.
And O'Hare (Sinclair) and Jeff Conway (Zack).

I just watched a YouTube comparing the original and remaster. The color clean up and lifting of the darkness is awesome. HBO Max is $70 for 6 months. I may buy it just for Babylon 5.

I’m currently watching TNG 5th season and had to stop DS9 after two seasons once someone here said it finally gets good around season 4. I last rewatch B5 about 2 years ago.

B5 was so far ahead of its time with its serial overarching story and dark in a juxtaposition to Star Trek. Trek is always captain driven and episodes without Picard or Cisco feel like throwaways. B5 could feature almost any actor in an episode and feel like nothing was lost. It was a true ensemble. Mira was excellent.

It's really season 5 where Deep Space Nine gets really good. 5-7 are actually really good to awesome but man, those first 4 seasons are forgettable. I mean what kind of show takes it to almost 100 episodes before it gets good? The acting and characters were good but the stories they were telling in the first 4 seasons were stupid.

Character wise there is a Biggs in Star Wars, people wise a Biggs is in Babylon 5, Deep Space Nine and Voyager. If I looked it up correctly, Biggs(Domar) in Deep Space Nine is the father to Roxann Dawson in Voyager. My name sake has been in the biggest sci-fi projects out there so that's cool.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom