Missing blocks is one thing, but since when does the OLine not retaliate when star players are getting abused? (1 Viewer)

That play that effectively cost us the playoffs? Yeah, we need more of that.
You're too focused on what ONE guy did, and not focused enough on what NINE OTHER GUYS did NOT do.

Cue the "Rudy" scene where coach chastises a player for "coasting" during practice while Rudy is going balls to the wall. Mistakes WILL be made....better to make them at full speed with all-out effort, than to be sitting on your gluteus.

Last edited:
You're too focused on what ONE guy did, and not focused enough on what NINE OTHER GUYS did NOT do.

Cue the "Rudy" scene where coach chastises a player for "coasting" during practice while Rudy is going balls to the wall. Mistakes WILL be made....better to make them at full speed with all-out effort, than to be sitting on your gluteus.

His lack of self control effectively cost us the game and we would’ve made the playoffs had we won the game. I’d rather Kyle Turley not commit an unnecessary penalty-no matter how noble his motives may have been. Can we honestly say that he did more for Brooks and the team by ripping off the guy’s helmet, throwing it, and flipping off the country than if he had kept his composure and we won the game? Can we honestly say that things were worse for that Jets player because of what Turley did? They won the game.

Sometimes the best revenge is a life well lived.

That play that effectively cost us the playoffs? Yeah, we need more of that.
You're right.. He should've let them just break Brooks's neck. How did it cost them the playoffs? They were 4-3 after that game and only won 3 more games the rest of the season. Some people just remember what they want to remember.

His lack of self control effectively cost us the game and we would’ve made the playoffs had we won the game. I’d rather Kyle Turley not commit an unnecessary penalty-no matter how noble his motives may have been. Can we honestly say that he did more for Brooks and the team by ripping off the guy’s helmet, throwing it, and flipping off the country than if he had kept his composure and we won the game? Can we honestly say that things were worse for that Jets player because of what Turley did? They won the game.

I can agree with your basic premise.

I just feel that Saints team had no "spark" and probably wasn't going to fare too well in the playoffs. Your outlook places the blame squarely on Turley. My outlook says that many things happened with that team during that season, to put them in that position that a loss eliminated them from the playoffs.

Consider this microcosm within a single game: the Saints have had 3 turnovers in the game, yet still find themselves down by 4; but in position to win the game with a 4th and goal at the 1 with 0:02 on the clock. And Carl Smith sends in the power I-back formation, with 2 TEs lined up tight to the tackles, and our best FB leading the way for our bulldozer RB. And the ball is snapped, the handoff is to the bulldozer, right up the middle on a 42 dive, where its stuffed by 8 defenders. Saints lose.

Whose fault is that? Your analogy, IMO, would seem to suggest that the bulldozer RB who failed to punch it in, or see the clog but failed to take it off-tackle for the TD cost us the game. But how about the FB who didn't clear the hole? Or the line? How about the coach who made that obvious call? Can we agree that they ALL contributed to the failure? And I'm simply saying, "what about the 3 turnovers that created this situation in the first place?"

Turley was a scapegoat for that team, sacrificed so that Mueller and Hazlett wouldn't receive as much flack for that Saints team's shortcomings throughout the season. You might not like the outcome (I know I didn't), but Turley had his team's back; Turley had his QB's back. The team did not reciprocate. And if that wasn't enough, they tied him to the tracks for the oncoming train. That's all I'm saying here...

How would we have "made the playoffs" if we had gone 5-2 that night instead of 4-3? They still lost 6 out of the next 9 games. The 3 teams that they did beat prior to that had a combined record of 20-28 (with 14 of those wins attributed to the Rams.) The teams they lost to the rest of the season had a combined record of 66-30. So are you saying that the play sent them on such a tailspin that they could never recover from? Or is it just possible that the team was not that good to begin with and their schedule just got tougher? You probably think that Carney cost us the playoffs with his shanked extra point too....

Last edited:
I can agree with your basic premise.

I just feel that Saints team had no "spark" and probably wasn't going to fare too well in the playoffs. Your outlook places the blame squarely on Turley. My outlook says that many things happened with that team during that season, to put them in that position that a loss eliminated them from the playoffs.

Consider this microcosm within a single game: the Saints have had 3 turnovers in the game, yet still find themselves down by 4; but in position to win the game with a 4th and goal at the 1 with 0:02 on the clock. And Carl Smith sends in the power I-back formation, with 2 TEs lined up tight to the tackles, and our best FB leading the way for our bulldozer RB. And the ball is snapped, the handoff is to the bulldozer, right up the middle on a 42 dive, where its stuffed by 8 defenders. Saints lose.

Whose fault is that? Your analogy, IMO, would seem to suggest that the bulldozer RB who failed to punch it in, or see the clog but failed to take it off-tackle for the TD cost us the game. But how about the FB who didn't clear the hole? Or the line? How about the coach who made that obvious call? Can we agree that they ALL contributed to the failure? And I'm simply saying, "what about the 3 turnovers that created this situation in the first place?"

Turley was a scapegoat for that team, sacrificed so that Mueller and Hazlett wouldn't receive as much flack for that Saints team's shortcomings throughout the season. You might not like the outcome (I know I didn't), but Turley had his team's back; Turley had his QB's back. The team did not reciprocate. And if that wasn't enough, they tied him to the tracks for the oncoming train. That's all I'm saying here...
I remember that game well. The whole team was playing flat and honestly looked like they didn't care. When Turley did what he did, I stood up and clapped and said "Well at least SOMEONE looks like they care!"

It was bad. I watched it over twice and could not believe all of the bad blocking and tackling. On Carolina's first possession , tell me what kind of tackle # 27 (Jenkins) was trying. Look between 8 seconds to 12 seconds. This was most of the game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom