Mississippi River close to flood stage in NOLA soon (1 Viewer)

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
Rising water on the Mississippi has La. flood officials on alert - NewsFlash - NOLA.com

There has been quite a bit of catastrophic flooding in Illinois and Missouri (federal disaster area) where tributaries feeding the Mississippi have overrun their banks in the last few days. This surge will be seen in the BR/NOLA area in the next two weeks.

From past experience, knowing the spillway, and the above article, I am not particularly alarmed, but I am curious if anyone around here has specific industry or scientific knowledge (or speculation) of any impending threat (someone always does - that's why I love this place).

Thanks.

Great book for the river folks to read sometimes is "The Rising Tide". Check it out

ITS GLOBAL WARMING.
it has melted all the ice caps causing water to flood into the mississippi....
lol

Back around 1980 when they opened the locks, some friends and I dragged a seine net by hand thru the holding pond just in front of the locks. Pulled in 3 ice chests of shrimp, all manner of fish, including a 4.5 foot "spoonbill" catfish.

http://www.greatriver.com/fishing/spoonbill_small.jpg

Did you eat the spoonbill? Very very big fine if your caught with one (until just recently).

Lots of crawfish in the Bonne Carre right after the water starts to drop. River shrimp too, mmm river shrimp and butter beans.

Used to throw castnets and use a dip net long the ditches with the water moving.It was nothing for my dad and I to scope up 2 to 3 sacks in a morning.

Well I just spent 12 days up in snow country. There have been multiple areas of the country that have had record snowfall. Where I was (lake michigan/green bay) the locals are happy because the melt will raise the lake levels that are pretty low. Down side is that all the salt and chemicals they have been using to keep the roads de-iced and clear wash into the local water table and hurt the wildlife. I know in the past that opening the spillway has caused problems in the lake from the nitrates and other agriculture runoff crud in the river water, but didnt we pump the water from the city into the lake after Katrina and that toxic stew didnt have that much of an impact on the lake?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom