Mistake-free offseason (1 Viewer)

yardbird

Rookie
Reaction score
I can't remember any offseason in Saint's history that has been so mistake-free as that of 2019. Several starters and impact role players in the draft with no major whiffs. UDFAs have been excellent. Reasonable spending in free agency to get impactful players at positions of need, including Cook, Murray, Brown, and Edwards. Paying big bucks to lock up Michael Thomas and Cam Jordan with long-term contracts is looking genius, as does the decision to bring back Bridgewater as the league's highest-paid back up.

The Saints failed to bring back Ingram, but this was not the fault of the organization. Yes, they failed to bring in a quality WR2, but they also held onto valuable draft capital for next year, which they will need to replace free agents they cannot afford to keep. The Saints didn't reach. The way the Saints have been drafting lately, it's safe to say that picks are more valuable to the Saints than to most teams.

The Saints played the offseason perfectly, and it has a lot to do with their success this year. A poor offseason can obliterate a high-caliber team for years to come. Just look at the Rams.

I can't argue with any of this. I love how we have finally, over the past couple years, figured out the right balance of veterans vs rookies. Yes, you won't always have great depth at every position, and WR is a great example, but on the whole, this franchise continues to impress me at every level from ownership all the way down. We are extremely lucky to have Gayle, Payton, Loomis, Brees, and Cam/DD. The talent and leadership combined with the fact that MT might be the most talented offensive player we have ever had (Brees doesn't count bc he transcends offense) means we are in special rarefied air as an organization. Idk about you, but I wake up every day knowing that no matter what happens, we are going to compete and I am extremely grateful that this is MY TEAM!

I think you can chalk all of this up to Jeff IReland. Ever since he got here, the saints have been making great Personnel decisions.
It's not all Ireland. He's not in charge of pro scouting, which is for the FA's we sign. But he is definitely responsible for the draft selections. I think Fontenot is director of pro scouting.

It was a good offseason. No team doesn’t have flaws. WR is a flaw...no question, but we’ve won with the flaw. I do think that the Saints overestimated what they had in Ginn and TQS. I’d think that the likelihood they make that mistake again is pretty much zero...but you can only do so much after the season begins.

It was a good offseason. No team doesn’t have flaws. WR is a flaw...no question, but we’ve won with the flaw. I do think that the Saints overestimated what they had in Ginn and TQS. I’d think that the likelihood they make that mistake again is pretty much zero...but you can only do so much after the season begins.

I think they were expecting one of the younger guys to step up. Which makes sense....but it didn’t happen. I guarantee we draft a WR next year early now...

As much as I could live without the regular stream of WR2 threads, I recognise the team didn't exactly stand pat on this one, they just didn't find an option to add someone more at the right price.

I recall in FA that Adam Humphries was of real interest to the team (rather than just SSF interest), but once the price got too high, the team stepped out of the bidding. Same for others too. Remember when we all discovered the going rate for a slot WR had become $9m+? No wonder we conserved resources for more important additions and/or retention of core players.

Last edited:
Even the oft criticized Nick "Why Are We Paying" Easton has been a savior at guard. He was originally picked up because of the retirement of Unger, then we drafted McCoy and now he's a valuable reserve.

i hope we value draft picks more than others. we'll need them in the next 1-3 years more than ever.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom