mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
I don’t think ole Mitch gets enough blame for his misdeeds. This is a savage opinion piece from Esquire that made me say, yep, that’s right:

“There simply is no more loathsome creature walking the political landscape than the Majority Leader of the United States Senate. You have to go back to McCarthy or McCarran to find a Senate leader who did so much damage to democratic norms and principles than this yokel from Kentucky. Trump is bad enough, but he's just a jumped-up real-estate crook who's in over his head. McConnell is a career politician who knows full well what he's doing to democratic government and is doing it anyway because it gives him power, and it gives the rest of us a wingnut federal judiciary for the next 30 years. There is nothing that this president* can do that threatens McConnell's power as much as it threatens the survival of the republic, and that's where we are.”

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a25956710/mitch-mcconnell-op-ed-voting-bill-democrats/

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
Don't these old politicians have term limits? If not they should.
We keep electing the same people.

It’s our fault. Term limits aren’t going to fix the fact that we suck at electing leaders.

There isn’t some mysterious power controlling our politicians. We control our government. Who is controlling us?

N.O.Bronco

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

It’s our fault. Term limits aren’t going to fix the fact that we suck at electing leaders.

There isn’t some mysterious power controlling our politicians. We control our government. Who is controlling us?
To be fair though in places like Michigan and North Carolina voters do choose to send out these politicians, but gerrymandering turns what is a majority vote for Democrats across the state into an overwhelming majority of Republican wins in actual state and federal house seats thanks to drawing the district lines in a way to ensure the results they want barring catastrophic collapse. In places like Georgia there are serious questions about whether voter suppression managed to tip elections.

Though in a number of instances you are absolutely right on the nail that people keep getting swindled by these people and there is an element of personal responsibility needed here.

Reaction score

Media. They're exceptionally great at psychology.

lapaz

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
To be fair though in places like Michigan and North Carolina voters do choose to send out these politicians, but gerrymandering turns what is a majority vote for Democrats across the state into an overwhelming majority of Republican wins in actual state and federal house seats thanks to drawing the district lines in a way to ensure the results they want barring catastrophic collapse. In places like Georgia there are serious questions about whether voter suppression managed to tip elections. Though in a number of instances you are absolutely right on the nail that people keep getting swindled by these people and there is an element of personal responsibility needed here.
The problem is the Senate, not the House of Representatives, and specifically the undemocratic power of the majority leader. Schoolhouse Rock needs to be revamped to show that the bill process can be held up by 1 state senator.

I don’t understand why the media says only Trump or Pelosi can end the shutdown, when McConnell has more power than either of them.

Reaction score
Thinking about this a little more, is Mitch actually doing the right thing?

Trump doesn't cave and keeps his base if the vote happens and it gets veto'ed. Trump remains as strong as ever. However, by having to cave and being forced to own his incredibly stupid statements, Trump is losing ground with his base. This opens up the 2020 election for a possible challenge inside the party.

Kasich running and saying, you made claims about a wall that Mexico would pay for and then couldn't deliver then, why should we trust you now?

IDK, maybe as spineless as it seems, it is the right call to make Trump eat this political loss.

Reaction score
unfortunately, a few years back the courts said term limits were unconstitutional https://www.nytimes.com/1995/05/23/us/high-court-blocks-term-limits-for-congress-in-a-5-4-decision.html
I don't like term limits anyway. If you think they are vulnerable to outside interests when up for re-election, just think about what they are doing when they don't even have to consider their constituents. Plus, you lose too much knowledge in legislatures when the turnover is that high.

N.O.Bronco

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't like term limits anyway. If you think they are vulnerable to outside interests when up for re-election, just think about what they are doing when they don't even have to consider their constituents. Plus, you lose too much knowledge in legislatures when the turnover is that high.
To me this was always the perverse consequence lying in the term-limits position. And partly why I have softened(if not soured) on it. At least not withough accompanying reforms.

If the goal is to reduce corrosive outsider influence, like K-street, special interests, and lobbying, term limits seem like they have the unintended consequence of potentially increasing those influences, not curbing them.

Since if you know the gig is only one or two terms, you are incentivizing representatives to seek contingency plans(without fear of consequences) and that seems like a ripe scenario to lead us down a path of having a lot more representatives and situations like those reflecting Louisiana's own Billy Tauzin:

Tauzin became the poster child of Washington’s mercenary culture. He crafted a bill to provide prescription drug access to Medicare recipients, one that provided major concessions to the pharmaceutical industry. Medicare would not be able to negotiate for lower prescription drug costs and reimportation of drugs from first world countries would not be allowed. A few months after the bill passed, Tauzin announced that he was retiring from Congress and would be taking a job helming PhRMA for a salary of $2 million.

Last edited:

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Contract with America showed the hidden bear trap of the ‘throw the bums out’ approach
And the Tea Party wave was the reminder we really didn’t need

OP
OP
mt15

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I actually believe term limits would make everything worse than it already is.

OP
OP
mt15

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Mitch again, showing what a complete sham he is:

https://www.gq.com/story/mcconnell-voter-turnout-bad?verso=true

“On Wednesday, Mitch McConnell once again articulated his commitment to limiting voter turnout, but this time he didn't try to hide behind "security concerns." He took to the Senate floor to voice his opposition to a proposal that Election Day be made a federal holiday. It's a move that would go a long way to improving voter turnout and drastically cutting down wait times. Or, as McConnell sees it, it's a "power grab" by Democrats.

Video of the comments are no better. He mocks the suggestion that federal employees be granted time off to volunteer at polling places because, in his words, they're likely to support Democrats. McConnell doesn't even bother to come up with a half-assed excuse—instead he exposes his blanket contempt for government workers because, he suspects, they vote for Democrats, and for that reason alone it shouldn't be easier for them to cast a vote.”

Just blatantly party over country. Blatant.

Fanincowboyland

Rookie
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He passed within about 5 feet of me recently in Reagan National Airport. I felt a chill go up my spine as he slithered past. He was being ushered by a small group of men to board a plane to Louisville before anyone else boarded.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He passed within about 5 feet of me recently in Reagan National Airport. I felt a chill go up my spine as he slithered past. He was being ushered by a small group of men to board a plane to Louisville before anyone else boarded.
Does he leave a slime trail when he passes?

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Does he leave a slime trail when he passes?
Someone on the news busted out the start of their hour with "The turtle emerged from his shell yesterday on the Senate floor to...."

I did a double take to make sure I was watching the news and not comedy central or something else that I put on when it gets late in the day at the office.

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Yes, I actually believe term limits would make everything worse than it already is.
The constant turnover would basically bring legislation to a standstill in a pretty short amount of time. There wouldn't be enough experience to teach freshman legislators the ropes because the teachers would have recently been freshmen themselves. That, on top of making it really easy for elected officials to spend their entire time in DC doing nothing but attempting to set up their future lobbying positions instead of fighting to represent their constituents.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom