mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
I don’t think ole Mitch gets enough blame for his misdeeds. This is a savage opinion piece from Esquire that made me say, yep, that’s right:

“There simply is no more loathsome creature walking the political landscape than the Majority Leader of the United States Senate. You have to go back to McCarthy or McCarran to find a Senate leader who did so much damage to democratic norms and principles than this yokel from Kentucky. Trump is bad enough, but he's just a jumped-up real-estate crook who's in over his head. McConnell is a career politician who knows full well what he's doing to democratic government and is doing it anyway because it gives him power, and it gives the rest of us a wingnut federal judiciary for the next 30 years. There is nothing that this president* can do that threatens McConnell's power as much as it threatens the survival of the republic, and that's where we are.”

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a25956710/mitch-mcconnell-op-ed-voting-bill-democrats/

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The constant turnover would basically bring legislation to a standstill in a pretty short amount of time. There wouldn't be enough experience to teach freshman legislators the ropes because the teachers would have recently been freshmen themselves. That, on top of making it really easy for elected officials to spend their entire time in DC doing nothing but attempting to set up their future lobbying positions instead of fighting to represent their constituents.
What needs to be done more is like when Ocasio-Cortez did her Instagram meltdown of how the inservice on how to write and pass bills which was presented as an education to incoming members was actually held and presented by banking and other corporate lobbyists. It’s that level of garbage that needs to be exposed and run out of town.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He passed within about 5 feet of me recently in Reagan National Airport. I felt a chill go up my spine as he slithered past. He was being ushered by a small group of men to board a plane to Louisville before anyone else boarded.
For some reason I thought this was a Goodell thread. haha.

Zztop

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Turtle gonna turtle

“What it really seems to be is a package of urgent measures to rewrite the rules of American politics for the exclusive benefit of the Democratic Party.”

who knew that getting more people to vote would be seen as favoring one party

Last edited:

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Turtle gonna turtle

“What it really seems to be is a package of urgent measures to rewrite the rules of American politics for the exclusive benefit of the Democratic Party.”

But I thought all the democrats they're worried about don't have jobs anyway, right? As they get their welfare and drive their Cadillac SUV's...

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I see there is a bit more to the story... It's not just about adding a day off to vote.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/31/politics/mcconnell-democrats-house-bill/index.html

The sweeping legislation HR 1, or what Democrats are calling the "For the People Act," would also require presidential candidates to release their tax returns, adds a matching system for small donations, requires super PACs to disclose their donors who give more than $10,000, and prohibits voter purging.

He argued that the bill would "victimize every American taxpayer by pouring their money into expensive new subsidies that don't ever pass the laugh test."
"Their bill would make Election Day a new paid holiday for government workers, and create an additional brand new paid leave benefit for up to six days for any federal bureaucrat who decides they'd like to hang out at the polls during an election," McConnell said.
"Just what America needs," he protested. "Another paid holiday and a bunch of government workers being paid to go out and work, I assume our colleagues on the other side, on their campaigns. This is the Democrat plan to restore democracy? A brand new week of paid vacation for every federal employee who'd like to hover around while you cast your ballot?"
"A power grab that's smelling more and more like exactly what it is," he concluded of the bill.

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
I see there is a bit more to the story... It's not just about adding a day off to vote.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/31/politics/mcconnell-democrats-house-bill/index.html
He's such a slimy piece of trash. Yeah, Mitch. All the Republican government workers who were calling you out specifically during the shutdown and expressing their regret in voting for Trump after being used as pawns for something barely a third of the country supports are secretly wishing to become workers on democrats' campaigns instead of taking control of their party back from the likes of you and Trump.

sbadeaux

All-Pro
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
#WheresMitch

Yet again not allowing the bill to come to the floor for a vote. The exact same bill the senate passed unanimously before Christmas
Yes

Pelosi never did that. Ever

Please they all do it and they all say it goes against political norms unless it’s their guy doing it. No wonder so many people hate the press.

N.O.Bronco

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yes

Please they all do it and they all say it goes against political norms unless it’s their guy doing it. No wonder so many people hate the press.
Considering you are responding to a post from 12 days ago, we can now look at the present to judge that response and the unanimous answer is no, Democrats didn't behave the same way.

The House put a nearly identical bill up for a vote again and again and only 12 days later, a few days after Republicans initially voted down what they had originally passed in an effort to hold the line on the part of Trump attempting to extort Democrats by holding federal workers hostage, did the Republicans bring a similar bill back up once again and finally pass it. Something Democrats have in fact not ever done. So lets drop the false equivalency game shall we?

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Especially when speaker Ryan didn’t allow it for a vote on the House floor back in December.

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
Yes

So are you saying it’s ok now, or that it is not ok now?

Or are you just using a situiation to take a shot without really discussing the core issue of this moment?

I’m sure you’ll want to deflect again by saying the bigger problem is that we only hate it when the other side does it... until your other side does it again.

JimEverett

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Turtle gonna turtle

Heard of disparate impact? Only people who will get off are government employees, not private sector ones. And I imagine government employees split Democratic Party fairly heavily.

Reaction score
Heard of disparate impact? Only people who will get off are government employees, not private sector ones. And I imagine government employees split Democratic Party fairly heavily.
Only government employees get off for Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and New Year's Day?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Saints RSS News Feeds 0

Headlines

Top Bottom