Mizzou DE Michael Sam comes out as being gay. (1 Viewer)

Will be the 1st openly gay player in the NFL. Interesting to see if/how this pans out. Draft status, locker room, ect...

^ in the long run we all win

"I endured so much in my past: seeing my older brother killed from a gunshot wound, not knowing that my oldest sister died when she was a baby and I never got the chance to meet her. My second oldest brother went missing in 1998, and me and my little sister were the last ones to see him ... my other two brothers have been in and out of jail since 8th grade, currently both in jail.

"Telling the world I'm gay is nothing compared to that."

realz

"I'm not afraid to tell the world who I am. I'm Michael Sam: I'm a college graduate. I'm African American, and I'm gay," he said. "I'm comfortable in my skin."

I think this news will actually "help" his draft stock. Teams will feel pressure to draft him right at (or before) his projected round because they want to show their "tolerance" or whatever...

It's how the teams accept him in the locker room that will be interesting.

I think this news will actually "help" his draft stock. Teams will feel pressure to draft him right at (or before) his projected round because they want to show their "tolerance" or whatever...

If you read the ESPN story in the other thread it sounds like this was already known around the league as he'd already come out to his teammates. So I don't think this will change his standing with teams, although there will certainly be talk about his "draft stock" in the media.

And you have more faith in the NFL than I do. I think he'll be taken off of some teams boards for being gay. :jpshakehead:

If you read the ESPN story in the other thread it sounds like this was already known around the league as he'd already come out to his teammates. So I don't think this will change his standing with teams, although there will certainly be talk about his "draft stock" in the media.

And you have more faith in the NFL than I do. I think he'll be taken off of some teams boards for this.

I think he will be taken off some too. And depending on the reaction he gets, other potential draftees and maybe even some in the NFL may come out.

And you have more faith in the NFL than I do. I think he'll be taken off of some teams boards for this.

Language about discrimination is written into the CBA. If a team gets "found out" or even accused of crossing him out cuz he's gay, the NFL and Roger will crucify them as a PR move.

Totally disagree on helping draft stock. If Sam was applying for an Ivy League school or get accepted into the Air Force this would help tremendously.

This will be a distraction. When a measured leader like Vilma expressed his comments, it showed this will be a problem for whatever team selects him. Too much testosterone for quick acceptance.

I think it will probably hurt his draft stock as teams will want to avoid the distraction that is going to come with this, but much respect to him for having the courage to do this and pave the way for other gay athletes. I can't wait for the day when players coming out is not newsworthy and is just accepted.

"Sam led the SEC with 11.5 sacks, and 19 tackles for a loss.... with a possible position switch to outside linebacker. He is rated as the 12th-best outside pass rusher in the draft by ESPN Scouts Inc."

I'd spend a late 2nd, early 3rd on him.

I'd spend a late 2nd, early 3rd on him.

tbh I think he's a tweener and not in a good way. Not ideal length and size for DE, and hasn't shown the ability to play in space (really struggled playing OLB at the Senior Bowl). I'd expect him to go in the 4th, similarly to Okafor last year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom