MLB adopts 3-hitter minimum for relief pitchers (1 Viewer)

How will they deal with feigned injuries? If a reliever pitches to one batter and suddenly grabs at his arm or back, can they force him to stay in, or will he be forced to sit out the next 2 or 3 games if he is removed prior to facing 3 batters? Will the umpiring crew chief really have to make that call and potentially face backlash from the players union in the event of a legitimate injury?

I'm all for speeding up the pace of play, but this manner of doing so should not be priority. Might as well just change the pitch count to 3 balls for a walk and 2 strikes for a K.

How will they deal with feigned injuries? If a reliever pitches to one batter and suddenly grabs at his arm or back, can they force him to stay in, or will he be forced to sit out the next 2 or 3 games if he is removed prior to facing 3 batters? Will the umpiring crew chief really have to make that call and potentially face backlash from the players union in the event of a legitimate injury?

I'm all for speeding up the pace of play, but this manner of doing so should not be priority. Might as well just change the pitch count to 3 balls for a walk and 2 strikes for a K.
This might serve to lengthen some games. A pitcher is brought in to get a key out and ends up facing 3 batters and tying the game.

not sure what to think. "'muricas game" has changed so much from the diehard rule legacies to actual changes

*winds up for 1st pitch to second batter*
Oh ow my hamstring
*rolls on mound*

tumblr_ou26lk5ADr1qmob6ro1_400.gifv

Lengthens games?

It should shorten games.

And on that topic.....why are relied pitchers allowed to come in during the middle of an inning, and proceed to “warm up” while the other 8 guys twiddle their thumbs????

It’s literally the only sport that does this.

How about.....warm up in the bullpen. When you are ready, I will then put you in.

You can throw 50 warmups in the pen, but goodness those 8 on the mound while everyone waits must happen.

Can you imagine JJ Reddick coming off the bench, and all 9 stand around while he fires up 8 practice shots from behind the arc.

Lutz doesn’t get 4 kicks on the field while 21 players wait.

It would immediately shorten the games if relievers just came in and pitch. Problem solved.

Last edited:
I've been looking at my favorite baseball sites for info on the rule changes. MLB also changed the injured list rule for pitchers. I'd like to see how the two tie in. New injured list for pitchers is a 15 day minimum. If your pitcher grabs his arm after facing a lefty do you lose him for 15 days or can you opt to keep him active and just have him do that every day. Having that happen every inning will lengthen games.

You would think that there would be talk about this, and about teams being in camp.

It's all Astros.

On MLB tonight they're 44 minutes into the show and they just started talking about something other than the Astros.

And on that topic.....why are relied pitchers allowed to come in during the middle of an inning, and proceed to “warm up” while the other 8 guys twiddle their thumbs????

It’s literally the only sport that does this.

How about.....warm up in the bullpen. When you are ready, I will then out you in.

You can throw 50 warmups in the pen, but goodness those 8 on the mound while everyone waits must happen.

Can you imagine JJ Reddick coming off the bench, and all 9 stand around while he fires up 8 practice shots from behind the arc.

Lutz doesn’t get 4 kicks on the field while 21 players wait.
Great point. Never understood it either

Great point. Never understood it either

I bet it’s probably a relic from when bullpen mounds were junk or even non-existent. Give the pitcher a few throws from the real mound before going live.

Don’t really have that issue anymore.

This might serve to lengthen some games. A pitcher is brought in to get a key out and ends up facing 3 batters and tying the game.

Yet another Buffalo Wild Wings MLB moment.

This is prime season for me: pick-your-opponent playoffs, pitching clocks in the minors, sign-stealing scandals, now a new substitution rule.....few things more amusing to me than Baseball Purists Clutching Their Pearls. Next thing you know they'll start stealing bases with a five-run lead and making sure the infielder steps on second before throwing to first for a double play, and getting rid of all those fabulous minor leagues America loves so much.

*winds up for 1st pitch to second batter*
Oh ow my hamstring
*rolls on mound*

Current rule is its up the discretion of the umpire. How can the umpire diagnose something like arm soreness or a sprain, which you can't even accurately diagnose without imaging the affected area. As it is teams are going to abuse the injury exception and they will have to implement an IL rule. If hey come out for injury, they should have to go on the IL (if regular season), and maybe 2 games for postseason.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom