MLB adopts 3-hitter minimum for relief pitchers (1 Viewer)

You will never please everyone and most times upset most everyone. I like this move. I am not as big of an MLB fan as I used to but last year I remember stopping to watch a game. In about 15mts I saw about two pitches and I think three pitchers. When I tuned in a big hit or maybe a walk had just occurred. Out trots the pitching coach (also stupid) for a pitching change. One pitch, one hit with pitching injury. Out trots again the coach for another pitching change with unlimited injury warm-up. I think I changed it...so I guess it was one pitch. Ridiculous.

You will never please everyone and most times upset most everyone. I like this move. I am not as big of an MLB fan as I used to but last year I remember stopping to watch a game. In about 15mts I saw about two pitches and I think three pitchers. When I tuned in a big hit or maybe a walk had just occurred. Out trots the pitching coach (also stupid) for a pitching change. One pitch, one hit with pitching injury. Out trots again the coach for another pitching change with unlimited injury warm-up. I think I changed it...so I guess it was one pitch. Ridiculous.
Sounds like September baseball. They used to expand the rosters up to 40 players which allowed those shenanigans.

This season in September I think that they will addb3 players with a maximum of 14 active pitchers.

I bet it’s probably a relic from when bullpen mounds were junk or even non-existent. Give the pitcher a few throws from the real mound before going live.

Don’t really have that issue anymore.
The game mound has a very different feel from the bullpen mound. I have coached baseball and can tell you that for a fact. It is better, but by no means are they equal. It is also about the visual aspect as well. You are in a confined area warming up, compared to the sudden vastness of the real field. It is a visual depth perception thing. More than just; it is not as bad as it use to be thing.

yay... baseball is as boring as watching paint dry... do whatever it takes to speed this crap show up.

...Yea same as the soccer thread from over a year ago.. if you don't want me to repeat myself... move along.

and if you want to stop sign stealers... put a ear wig in the pitchers ear, and a micro phone in the catchers mask and have the catcher call out the pitches. Everyone is losing their mind over the Cheating. Baseball allowed it just like steroids. Now put Bonds and the rest of the Steroid era bombers in the hall.

Last edited:
If you can't pitch to more than one batter at the professional level, then you shouldn't even be a professional. Changing pitchers every batter is beyond insanity.

The counter to the people saying... but "baseball"... back in the "baseball" days the same pitcher pitched an entire game. He may pitch multiple games in a row. But "Baseball" my rear.

If you can't pitch to more than one batter at the professional level, then you shouldn't even be a professional. Changing pitchers every batter is beyond insanity.

I think it is primarily done because managers are playing the numbers rather than the pitchers not being able to do it. If you're defending a one-run lead in the 7th inning, every hitter is potentially game-changing. The managers might see that changing from a right-handed pitcher to a left-handed pitcher drops the hitter's average by 80 points, they make that move.

But maybe they haven't been doing it as long as some might think. My grand-father was a big-league pitcher for nine seasons. He was a starter early in his career, but then pitched relief. Both from what he told me and from looking at stats, I don't think relief pitching was as methodical back then as it is now. A single relief pitcher would come in and finish the game more often than now - where managers like to have their setup guy pitch the 8th and the closer pitch the 9th, and so forth.

That's one of the major turn offs of baseball.. I'm listening to it on the radio and the same inning lasts nearly an hour because both teams are switching pitchers every batter. You play 162 games man.. no one wants to sit around for 5 hours every day to watch/listen to your product for 6 months.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom