MLB All Star Game moved from Atlanta..... (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outbackjack

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Thoughts?

My opinion....I think it’s the wrong move on a few fronts.

1. I would like for politics and baseball to stay separate. Just my opinion.
2. I actually think the policies are pretty good.
Listening to critics (and to the point of MLB pulling out of Atlanta).....you’d think certain groups were banned from voting.
In case you haven’t seen it, the highlights are as follows.....
** Georgia state picture ID required to vote in person or to have an absentee ballot mailed to you.
** Early voting.....Requiring two Saturdays (can be extended to include two Sundays) in all voting precincts.
** All drop boxes manned the entire time they are open.
** Election officials can provide water within 150 of voting location. Private individuals can provide water at 150 feet and out mark. This is to keep electioneering away from the area directly around the voting.
**It requires election officials to continue tabulating votes until counting us complete.

Like everything else, this has fallen down the political aisle......the right saying it has to be done, the left saying it’s unfair to minorities.

Really interested to hear the thoughts on this board.

This is an inherently political topic and it won't end well on this board. And the fact that the bill is all about politics is the reason it's bad law. It's voter suppression designed to stop people who typically vote Democrat from voting. It is a direct reaction to the GOP losing the two Georgia seats in the Senate. Nothing more.

Thoughts?

Listening to critics (and to the point of MLB pulling out of Atlanta).....you’d think certain groups were banned from voting.
** Georgia state picture ID required to vote in person or to have an absentee ballot mailed to you.
** Early voting.....Requiring two Saturdays (can be extended to include two Sundays) in all voting precincts.
** Election officials can provide water within 150 of voting location. Private individuals can provide water at 150 feet and out mark. This is to keep electioneering away from the area directly around the voting.
**It requires election officials to continue tabulating votes until counting us complete.

Like everything else, this has fallen down the political aisle......the right saying it has to be done, the left saying it’s unfair to minorities.

Also, it is illegal to give water to people waiting in voting lines :freak7:

Thoughts?

I have never understood the resistance to showing you have the right to vote in a public election and never will. If you want to vote then go through the process that takes MAYBE half a day in a few cases to get a state I.D.

It’s not illegal.

People were getting away with campaigning within the 150 by stating they were just giving water out.

I sure dont want anyone giving me water while im waiting in line anyplace or anywhere.

This is an inherently political topic and it won't end well on this board. And the fact that the bill is all about politics is the reason it's bad law. It's voter suppression designed to stop people who typically vote Democrat from voting. It is a direct reaction to the GOP losing the two Georgia seats in the Senate. Nothing more.
This is the part I find interesting.
I understand voter suppression....and am missing which part suppresses voters.
I really am missing how it’s stopping people from voting.

I’m not being facetious.....i seriously am not understanding.

This is the part I find interesting.
I understand voter suppression....and am missing which part suppresses voters.
I really am missing how it’s stopping people from voting.

I’m not being facetious.....i seriously am not understanding.

Regardless of it if works or not, that is the sole purpose of passing these "voting laws." There was no need to change the rules since there was no evidence that there was any massive voter fraud going on (ore even minor voter fraud) so the only reason it was passed is an effort to suppressor people who typically vote Democrat. But If you really want to read about the ways in which it suppresses voting, here are a couple articles. :

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/02/us/politics/georgia-voting-law-annotated.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/el...legal-challenges-over-new-voting-law-n1262478

Personally, I don't think the laws will actually suppress votes, but that was the intent and I don't think any party should be playing politics with a U.S. Citizen's rights. But it's really dumb to stop people from giving water to voters who are in line. Frankly, a bottle of water isn't going to influence anyone's vote and there is zero evidence it ever did. Here's an editorial saying that it likely won't work to suppress votes:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...orgias-new-voting-law-is-not-return-jim-crow/

And, while I don't have a big issue with requiring people to show picture ID to exercise their right to vote, just like we do in Louisiana, I don't think most who voted for this bill would feel the same if people were required to do the same to exercise other Constitutional rights.

In B4 this gets moved to the Poliboard.

Also, I’m not really a baseball fan- but i think this is a fantastic decision on the part of the MLB... i only hope that other heavy-hitters (pun intended) like Coca Cola and Delta Airlines make similar calls in re to their business within Georgia .

Thread locked. It's a politics topic through and through. Politics board is where it's at. Madaboutpolitics.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom