MLB Playoffs (1 Viewer)

Can’t wait for game 7 tomorrow night, Astros now only second team in history of baseball to go down 3-0 and force a game 7

Go 'Stros.

And it still amazes me that Saints fans are Braves fans. ATLANTA Braves. The advent of cable TV and self proclaiming themselves "America's Team" went a long way.

Go 'Stros.

And it still amazes me that Saints fans are Braves fans. ATLANTA Braves. The advent of cable TV and self proclaiming themselves "America's Team" went a long way.

The cable TV is definitely part of it. Ted Turner was ahead of the curve and leveraged his TV stations and it made him tons of money. When TBS came on the scene, they broadcast all of the games. Even though I was an Astros fan growing up, I watched a lot of Braves games, so a became a fan when the Brave were winning almost every year. Their pitching was always top of the line and with Dale Murphy's hitting, they were a tough team to beat.

But yeah, I'm kinda pulling for the Astros. Nats winning the WS was nice. I'm somewhat of a fan. I'm just not the huge fan I used to be when I was younger.

The cable TV is definitely part of it. Ted Turner was ahead of the curve and leveraged his TV stations and it made him tons of money. When TBS came on the scene, they broadcast all of the games. Even though I was an Astros fan growing up, I watched a lot of Braves games, so a became a fan when the Brave were winning almost every year. Their pitching was always top of the line and with Dale Murphy's hitting, they were a tough team to beat.

But yeah, I'm kinda pulling for the Astros. Nats winning the WS was nice. I'm somewhat of a fan. I'm just not the huge fan I used to be when I was younger.
The unparalleled, long-running, never to be duplicated success the Braves experienced from 1991-2005 and sporadically here and there for the next decade and more recently from 2018-now also catapulted Braves franchise winning formula, consistent winning seasons, 14 straight NL West/NL East division titles, 4-5 WS appearances, a sole WS title in 1995 helped create the narrative of Braves being one of the most successful MLB franchises of the last 3 decades.

That success, along with TBS Superstation televising most home/away games helped bring in legions of new Braves and MLB fans who weren't before or were apathetic previously. And in no disrespect to Astros fans on here, but even though Houston's has had more then their fair share of winning, 3 WS appearances and a sole World Series title in the past 3 decades, their success doesnt match the Braves comparatively speaking. In terms of overall wins, winning seasons, division titles, NL/AL pennants, Atlanta has Houston beat if you contrast the two since 1991.

The unparalleled, long-running, never to be duplicated success the Braves experienced from 1991-2005 and sporadically here and there for the next decade and more recently from 2018-now also catapulted Braves franchise winning formula, consistent winning seasons, 14 straight NL West/NL East division titles, 4-5 WS appearances, a sole WS title in 1995 helped create the narrative of Braves being one of the most successful MLB franchises of the last 3 decades.

That success, along with TBS Superstation televising most home/away games helped bring in legions of new Braves and MLB fans who weren't before or were apathetic previously. And in no disrespect to Astros fans on here, but even though Houston's has had more then their fair share of winning, 3 WS appearances and a sole World Series title in the past 3 decades, their success doesnt match the Braves comparatively speaking. In terms of overall wins, winning seasons, division titles, NL/AL pennants, Atlanta has Houston beat if you contrast the two since 1991.

Yep, and really, outside the Yankees what other team has had as much success as the Braves over such a long period of time?

The Astros really are probably a few tiers lower than the Braves in teams of success over the last 20-30 years.

Interesting regardless.

Good game tonight even though Braves came up short, so excited for these young pitchers, they reached my expectations but really would love to see Wright and Bryse get another start in the WS see if they can continue there short success.... Should be another good game tomorrow come on Ian :)

:grin:

And so they shall remain the Asterisks forevermore.
What makes the Rays accomplishment impressive is that most of the team's roster aren't household names and the team's overall salary was $28,000, 000 compared to 9-figured Yankees, Red Sox, or Dodgers payrolls by comparison. And I'm not knocking the Dodgers extremely high team payroll, they've invested wisely for the most part in signing great FA's, developing a dominant trio of All-Star pitchers, the most notable being future HOF P Clayton Kershaw. They were one of the winniest, most successful MLB teams of the 2010's, owned the NL West, appeared in consecutive World Series in 2017 and 2018.

That said, still more impressive is that compared to the 2002 "Moneyball" Oakland A's built by GM Billy Beane who's overall team payroll was $41 million and way over-achieved, they still lost a close 5-game ALDS series to Minnesota while Rays are advancing to their second WS in franchise history $13 million dollars less than what Beane's A's had to spend.

Last edited:
What makes the Rays accomplishment impressive is that most of the team's roster aren't household names and the team's overall salary was $28,000, 000 compared to 9-figured Yankees, Red Sox, or Dodgers payrolls by comparison. And I'm not knocking the Dodgers extremely high team payroll, they've invested wisely for the most part in signing great FA's, developing a dominant trio of All-Star pitchers, the most notable being future HOF P Clayton Kershaw. They were one of the winniest, most successful MLB teams of the 2010's, owned the NL West, appeared in consecutive World Series in 2017 and 2018.

That said, still more impressive is that compared to the 2002 "Moneyball" Oakland A's built by GM Billy Beane who's overall team payroll was $41 million and way over-achieved, they still lost a close 5-game ALDS series to Minnesota while Rays are advancing to their second WS in franchise history $13 million dollars less than what Beane's A's had to spend.

Nice info there never would have guessed the A's back then had a payroll that high.... Watched the movie like three times guess I miss that part lol

Go 'Stros.

I was a Braves fan because I went to college in Atl and that's where I first started getting into MLB. I pulled for the Dodgers because of family but really got into the Braves when Smoltz, Glavine, and Maddux were doing their thing because I was in the city and really got exposed to them.

One day my CO offered tickets to a Braves game, I went. The Braves were down like 9-1 in the eighth and almost everyone left, I moved down to better seats. Lo and behold, the Braves scored 8 runs in the bottom of the 9th to tie the game and send it into extra innings. The Braves won in like the 15th. It was great. My CO was somewhat miffed that this was the game he decided to skip out on. Lol

I played and watched baseball before football.
I was a Braves fan before I was a saints fan.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom