Saints MMQB: Drew Brees, Sean Payton and the Level of Expectation for the Saints (1 Viewer)

Complex Kid

Most things I worry about Never happen anyway
Reaction score
MMQB: Expectations on Drew Brees, Sean Payton and the Saints

METAIRIE, La. — Drew Brees didn’t just know it was coming. He knew when it was coming, and how Sean Payton was going to do it.

After losing consecutive games to start the 2017 season, a Saints team with minimal expectations went on an absolute tear. And seven games into what would become an eight-game winning streak, Brees could feel his teammates’ confidence starting to boil over and the buzz around the team growing strong enough to draw national attention. Payton, as a result, was growing antsy—and that could only mean one thing.

If you haven't already read the article linked at the end with Cam Jordan, you would be well advised to check it out as well. This is another really good one.

I am still amazed at the transformation of the team from atrocious in the first two games to dominant in the next eight.

If you haven't already read the article linked at the end with Cam Jordan, you would be well advised to check it out as well.

I think that article is actually more informative and fun to read than the one I posted. I mean we all know about Paytons "motivational tactics" and Drew Brees and Payton having a great relationship but how many know about "Booka Badass"? :hihi:

Last edited:
Great article. Thanks for sharing. Any one besides me hoping that Brees coaches with us after his playing days and is groomed to take over from Payton when he retires?

I'd love it, but think Drew will retire from football when he is done playing. Still, one can hope.

Great article. Thanks for sharing. Any one besides me hoping that Brees coaches with us after his playing days and is groomed to take over from Payton when he retires?

I'd love it, but think Drew will retire from football when he is done playing. Still, one can hope.

Mite I think he’d be a great coach. I too think he will step away for at least a few years though, once he retires.

As I was reading that article, I admittedly started to feel some sadness wash over me that we are on the back end of Drew's career. Not that he can't play at a high level another 2-3 more years, it's just a recognition of how fortunate we've been as a fan base to have someone so incredible as Drew as the face of our franchise. We can never doubt the "football gods", because for all the Minneapolis Miracle type plays we've suffered, they are all dwarfed by the signing of Brees and his perfect pairing with Payton.

I can't believe it's been 13 years. It feels like only yesterday, a fresh-faced Drew held the Saints jersey up and started what would be that greatest era of the franchise we love.
Man, time flies.

As I was reading that article, I admittedly started to feel some sadness wash over me that we are on the back end of Drew's career. Not that he can't play at a high level another 2-3 more years, it's just a recognition of how fortunate we've been as a fan base to have someone so incredible as Drew as the face of our franchise. We can never doubt the "football gods", because for all the Minneapolis Miracle type plays we've suffered, they are all dwarfed by the signing of Brees and his perfect pairing with Payton.

I can't believe it's been 13 years. It feels like only yesterday, a fresh-faced Drew held the Saints jersey up and started what would be that greatest era of the franchise we love.
Man, time flies.

Yes sir. (Or ma’am)

Time does indeed fly. I agree, what an amazing journey it’s been. I am beyond thankful for Sean and Drew and the Lombardi they helped bring us. Someone alluded to it in another thread, I do not envy whomever becomes the next QB after Brees. Talk about shoes to fill! Whoa.

MMQB: Expectations on Drew Brees, Sean Payton and the Saints

METAIRIE, La. — Drew Brees didn’t just know it was coming. He knew when it was coming, and how Sean Payton was going to do it.

After losing consecutive games to start the 2017 season, a Saints team with minimal expectations went on an absolute tear. And seven games into what would become an eight-game winning streak, Brees could feel his teammates’ confidence starting to boil over and the buzz around the team growing strong enough to draw national attention. Payton, as a result, was growing antsy—and that could only mean one thing.

This is the scene I thought about when I finished reading that excerpt....still haven't figured out how embed the YT stuff, so just click it....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlnBr4XVAH0

Wow. When he started coaching here, Sean Payton was only two years older than Drew will be at the end of this season

there's hardly any precedent for an A-list (HoF) athlete becoming a successful coach
seemingly those are just 2 different wiring systems
coaches need broad and inclusive vision
HoFers seem laser focused on their particular job

also, as i've seen in other areas, the truly gifted don't have a lot of insight into the make-up of their skills - like imagine Pistol Pete trying to teach dribbling

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom