MMQB: Sean Payton discusses Drew’s retirement and QB competition for 2021 (1 Viewer)

Jameis may come out and play poorly and the whole thing looks like a failed decision. But I’m betting he comes out and plays really well and we don’t see much of a dropoff in overall QB play, if any.

I´m sure there will be growing pains, since you can´t expect Winston to play in the same style as Brees, and the offense will have to adjust, but there´s a chance that what the position loses in acurracy and decision making, you make up for with new plays catered to Winston´s skill set... and the return of the long ball. I´m also assuming that Winston can stop being so careless with the ball. If he keeps turning the ball over, all bets are off.

Started brainstorming names of coaches to myself just to see how each HOF coach went on with their job after their HOF QB retired....yeah, this is intended for my Gen-X or older crowd.....

--Don Shula had Bob Griese for a long time, then a short stint with David Woodley before Marino fell in his lap after the Steelers passed on him earlier in the first round in '83. He wasn't fortunate enough to win another SB with Marino, but I don't think he'd have become the league's all-time winningest coach without a second HOF QB under center.

--Chuck Noll had Terry Bradshaw for a long time, though it's always said it was the Steel Curtain defense that keyed his coaching career. He went through some journeymen QB's the rest of his Steelers career after they passed on Marino (Stoudt, Malone, Brister, some others I can't remember). Never made it back to the big game with 'em.

--Mike Shanahan......hmmm.....two SB rings as a coach at the tail end of Elway's career, then fell off the map without him. Is he a HOF coach with those two rings? Is it enough? :unsure:

--Bill Belichick and Mike McCarthy.....two guys for whose post-(likely) HOF QB days are still being written. Time will tell if they can win even one ring with simply average QBs under center.
Shula coached Unitas and Earl Morrall before Griese
Weeb Ewbank
also coached Unitas and Namath

Tom Landry
is where the idea of two QBs equals Zero QBs became more popular with Morton and Staubach.

However there was a coach that made it work...

Joe Stydahar wasnt much of a coach not in comparison to his ability to play OT, but he did win an NFL Championship platooning two HoF QBs Bob Watefield and Norm Van Brocklin.

I don't understand how Gibbs accomplishments in the 80's in the NFL are any different than they are now. The game hasn't changed that much from now.

Ok Theismann wasn't a HOF. Doug Williams is and Mark Rypien replaced him and still took the Redskins to the Superbowl.

The fact that Gibbs and Parcells was successful with backups that came in and not only took their teams to Superbowl but also won them is amazing.

But I understand your question was replacing a HOF quarterback with another HOF.
Doug isnt in the HoF either.

WFT HoF QBS: Jurgensen and Baugh

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom