Mock draft 4.0 (1 Viewer)

WhoDat_SB44

Pimpin' Ain't Breesy!
Reaction score
1. Zach Baun LB Wisconsin - we get our A.J. Klein replacement at SAM. Hopefully he can play MIKE in the nickel like Klein did for us. I wasn’t a big fan of Baun, but he has grown on me. I think he fits the mold of the what we look for in a LB. Adding his blitzing ability to Davis’ would give us two really good pass rushing options from the LB spot.

3. Troy Dye LB Oregon - we double up on the position and get our future starting MIKE as well. I wouldn’t mind doing that at all due to the fact Anzalone & Kiko are walking injuries. We could possibly have our best LB core in a while if this was to come to fruition. Hopefully he can add like 15 more pounds to that 6’4” frame. He wouldn’t have to start right away, but could be a beast on special teams and a backup as a rookie unless Anzalone can’t stay healthy again.

4. Lamar Jackson CB Nebraska - nice big corner at 6’2” 205. He could possibly end up being a starter as a press man corner. He would be a quality backup outside corner for sure. We met with him at the Senior Bowl.

5. Dezmon Patmon WR Washington St - looks like he could be a faster version of Marques Colston in that he’s a big receiver at 6’4” 225. With how deep this group of receivers is, we could get a guy that would likely go earlier in a normal draft this late

6. Jacob Breeland TE Oregon - we get our 3rd TE with the another player from Oregon. He’s got nice size at 6’5” 250+. We took a TE late last year that didn’t pan out, so we do it again in this draft.

We add some defensive reinforcements with our first 3 picks then get Drew some more weapons for the passing game with the last two picks

I’ve done the opposite when it comes to Baun at 24. I like him a lot and his projection is similar to Jamie Collins, who we already tried to sign.

On the other hand, I recently had this thought. Would I rather have a Jamie Collins/Kyle Van Noy or a Roquan Smith/Deion Jones? When I think about it like that, I start leaning Patrick Queen (if available).

I’ve done the opposite when it comes to Baun at 24. I like him a lot and his projection is similar to Jamie Collins, who we already tried to sign.

On the other hand, I recently had this thought. Would I rather have a Jamie Collins/Kyle Van Noy or a Roquan Smith/Deion Jones? When I think about it like that, I start leaning Patrick Queen (if available).
I prefer Patrick Queen, he’s more of the new age hybrid linebacker like Deion Jones that can keep up in pass coverage. I also think his ceiling is highest out of all the LBers besides Simmons

I think there is a difference in what people are looking for out of a linebacker. Some people are looking for an old school LB that can rush the passer and stop the run. The second type of LB will do those things, but will be mainly need to hold up on coverage. I could be wrong here, but if memory servers me correct, we mainly bring extra pressure with Safeties, then CB, and LB. Think about Davis, he doesn't rush the passer very often. If you want the first style LB then Murray and Baun will be a good fit. They will not do the best in coverage. Guys like Queen, Gay, and Dye do better in coverage, but may not be the best in past rushing. It really just comes down to what you want and what you think the Saints want.

I think this is a passing league and they want LBs that perform better in coverage.

If we don’t get Queen or Murray, I’ll be extremely disappointed. I know I’m setting myself up with these expectations, it’s just LB is our only glaring need. we desperately need a baller next to Davis. I think Anzalone could easily transition to Sam. He’s got the coverage skills to stick with Tight Ends and it’ll help him stay healthy because he won’t always be in the box taking on Linemen.

Plus, SP has an abysmal track record when drafting Linebackers. It’s time to correct that trend

I think there is a difference in what people are looking for out of a linebacker. Some people are looking for an old school LB that can rush the passer and stop the run. The second type of LB will do those things, but will be mainly need to hold up on coverage. I could be wrong here, but if memory servers me correct, we mainly bring extra pressure with Safeties, then CB, and LB. Think about Davis, he doesn't rush the passer very often. If you want the first style LB then Murray and Baun will be a good fit. They will not do the best in coverage. Guys like Queen, Gay, and Dye do better in coverage, but may not be the best in past rushing. It really just comes down to what you want and what you think the Saints want.

I think this is a passing league and they want LBs that perform better in coverage.

Absolutely. Especially with all the new-age speedy TEs and 2 TE sets.

Anzalone is very good in coverage, but with him being a Mike, it puts him at higher risk for injury because he’s always taking on 300 lb linemen and running into the RBs at full speed.

We NEEEEEED Queen. Please God.

Round one is high for a SAM-type LB unless he's a true edge rusher for a 3-4 defense. You can get guys like that much later in the draft.

That's what I understand Baun is.

I'd rather a MLB / WLB type that can play 3 downs who is fast and good in coverage. That's worth a first round pick to me.

Baun is 24 years old too. I think at that age and with other question marks regarding him that he’s not quite worth a 1st round pick.

1. Zach Baun LB Wisconsin - we get our A.J. Klein replacement at SAM. Hopefully he can play MIKE in the nickel like Klein did for us. I wasn’t a big fan of Baun, but he has grown on me. I think he fits the mold of the what we look for in a LB. Adding his blitzing ability to Davis’ would give us two really good pass rushing options from the LB spot.

3. Troy Dye LB Oregon - we double up on the position and get our future starting MIKE as well. I wouldn’t mind doing that at all due to the fact Anzalone & Kiko are walking injuries. We could possibly have our best LB core in a while if this was to come to fruition. Hopefully he can add like 15 more pounds to that 6’4” frame. He wouldn’t have to start right away, but could be a beast on special teams and a backup as a rookie unless Anzalone can’t stay healthy again.

4. Lamar Jackson CB Nebraska - nice big corner at 6’2” 205. He could possibly end up being a starter as a press man corner. He would be a quality backup outside corner for sure. We met with him at the Senior Bowl.

5. Dezmon Patmon WR Washington St - looks like he could be a faster version of Marques Colston in that he’s a big receiver at 6’4” 225. With how deep this group of receivers is, we could get a guy that would likely go earlier in a normal draft this late

6. Jacob Breeland TE Oregon - we get our 3rd TE with the another player from Oregon. He’s got nice size at 6’5” 250+. We took a TE late last year that didn’t pan out, so we do it again in this draft.

We add some defensive reinforcements with our first 3 picks then get Drew some more weapons for the passing game with the last two picks

I Love Zack Baun. He is so explosive coming around the edge. A speedy, high motor type player that pursues around the Edge or up the Middle, he never quits pursuing the football.
Zack Baun will be All Pro for a long time.
Troy Dye I am not familiar with his Bio.
Lamar Jackson in the Fourth Round is a good pick up as is Dezmon Patmon and Jacob Breeland .

Posted in the last "Mock Draft" thread and I'm 100% on that one. But I'll post my BPA version in this one.

1. DAndre Swift RB Georgia
3. Jonathan Greenard EDGE/DE/DL/LB Florida
4. Akeem Gaither-Davis LB Appalachian St
5. John Reid CB/DB Penn St
6. Josiah Duguara TE Cincinnati

As of today, I’m thinking my best case looks something like:

*Saints trade 2021 2nd for a 2020 3rd

R1: LB Patrick Queen, LSU
R3: WR Michael Pittman Jr, USC
R3: OL Robert Hunt, ULL
R4: CB Amik Robertson, LA Tech
R5: WR KJ Hill, Ohio State

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom