Mock Drafts (Saints) DB's or WR's (1 Viewer)

strandedsaint

Pro-Bowler
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've been reading some mock drafts and mostly im seeing that they think the saints will pick a CB with the first pick . I think we'll take a WR or OL What do yall think?
Of Course, this goes without saying that we all here on SR believe that we are getting Burreaux with our first pick after a series of trades.!!!!!

Totally depends on who we cut, who we sign and who Jeff Ireland decides we want and then if SP agrees with him.

I’m still seeing a lot of Jordan Love, too.

WR is easy because 1. It’s a need and 2. This is such a deep class that we are likely to find A really good one there.

And yet we may have a ton that are rated pretty highly in the third round range, so we may look elsewhere.

As always, well fill needs in FA and go BPA within reason in the draft.

I've seen some Mocks where N.O drafts Jordan Love. Hope not, wasn't impressed by his play when he played against LSU. He has the makings of being the next Garret Grayson.

People say his talent hasn't been tapped cause of the coaching he was surrounded with in College.

Oline or defense.

There will be value in the later rounds for at WR..........................I just don't see the Saints taking one at 24.

It’s going to be BPA at #24 unless they identify a prospect they love enough to move up. I think LB is real possibility if they stay at 24.
Devin Duvernay will be there in round 3 or later, so WR should be good

I've seen some Mocks where N.O drafts Jordan Love. Hope not, wasn't impressed by his play when he played against LSU. He has the makings of being the next Garret Grayson.

People say his talent hasn't been tapped cause of the coaching he was surrounded with in College.

Not saying Love will be a great NFL QB, there’s no way to know. But basing your thoughts of him off of a game against the National Champion’s is crazy. Love was playing behind a new Offensive Line and lost his previous years WR to the draft.

If Sean believes Love is good enough then I’m all for it.

Just logically thinking CB, or WR seems to be the likely choice based on value. If you're taking an early look at how Round 1 might shape up.

There are about 6 First round worthy Corners, (Okudah, Fulton, Henderson, Diggs, Jaylon Johnson, Gladney) a few more that are 2nd round grade but could go in round 1. (Dantzler, Hall, Terrell)

And there are about 15 Wide receivers that many consider top '60-70' prospects.

If we look at other positional values:

Interior OL: there aren't really any Guards that are worth a late first rounder in my mind this year. IMO Netane Muti is the only one 1st round worthy and that's only if you look past the season ending injuries.. Cushenberry? He has the toughness, but he's more of a 40-60 range guy; Cesar Ruiz maybe? he was the best Interior linemen at Michigan but it would be a bit of a reach to take him at 24. Jonah Jackson is the best pure pass protecting Guard and he should be a 2nd rounder.

Linebacker - only two available late 1, and neither are sure fire prospects. (Queen, Murray) plus Payton, and Loomis have shown they don't value taking Linebackers in round 1.. Only one Linebacker selected in Round 1 in their tenure.. and that was Stephone Anthony...

Interior D-line: this to me is the one big darkhorse.. no one is acknowledging it but we will need to improve in the Interior rotation next season.. especially if Onyemetta leaves in free agency. There is some value in round 1 with Interior rushers that can get pressure by shooting through gaps... Russ Blacklock from TCU, Neville Gallimore, Oklahoma, and Jordan Elliot, Missouri... all could go late round 1 and project as 3-techs with disruptive pass rush potential.

Quarterback: 24 is not the pick for a QB.. they rise to the top. I could see Payton taking Love if he falls.. but man that would be off pure physical attributes alone.. as he's going to need seasoning and to learn for a season... if the Saints take Eason, or Fromm at pick 24 I will probably scream and throw my remote threw the TV screen and not even watch the rest of the draft.

Pre-combine and pre-free agency if I had to put money on where the value will be if the Saints stay put at 24 it's on 1. CB, 2. WR. 3. IDL.

Last edited:
I've been reading some mock drafts and mostly im seeing that they think the saints will pick a CB with the first pick . I think we'll take a WR or OL What do yall think?
Of Course, this goes without saying that we all here on SR believe that we are getting Burreaux with our first pick after a series of trades.!!!!!
TRADE DOWN!!!!! This draft is deep at the two spots we need most corner and WR.

We're not as hurting on the offensive line as most think. Don't let the playoff performance fool you, our line was put in bad positions all day by the play callers. When Zimmer put his defensive ends inside and we responded with empty backfields I knew our line didn't stand a chance.

Somebody is gonna want to jump up for Jordan Love or maybe even Easton if he has big workouts. If we can land a 2nd and 3rd this year with another 2nd next year I'm all for the trade down.

With all of these big name rookie contracts expiring the Saints will need to fill as many active rotation spots with rookie scale labor as possible. A trade down probably adds two extra starters if Ireland continues on his hot streak.

Round 2 - 2021.

Round 2 - #34 (Trade down w/Indy) - Jeff Gladney, CB TCU. SPEED!! Can turn, run and play the ball.

Round 3a #75 (Trade down w/Indy) - Denzel Mims, WR Baylor. Will be everything we wanted TreQuan to be.

Round 3b - #88 Austin Jackson, OT USC. Swing tackle/ tackle eligible in jumbo packages as a rook, but Armstead better lookout.

Round 4 - Damien Lewis - OL, LSU. Can start day one in Peats's spot and have an Eric McCoy type of year.

Round 5- Shaq Quarterman - LBer, Miami. The biggest hitter in the draft.

TRADE DOWN!!!!! This draft is deep at the two spots we need most corner and WR.

We're not as hurting on the offensive line as most think. Don't let the playoff performance fool you, our line was put in bad positions all day by the play callers. When Zimmer put his defensive ends inside and we responded with empty backfields I knew our line didn't stand a chance.

Somebody is gonna want to jump up for Jordan Love or maybe even Easton if he has big workouts. If we can land a 2nd and 3rd this year with another 2nd next year I'm all for the trade down.

With all of these big name rookie contracts expiring the Saints will need to fill as many active rotation spots with rookie scale labor as possible. A trade down probably adds two extra starters if Ireland continues on his hot streak.

Round 2 - 2021.

Round 2 - #34 (Trade down w/Indy) - Jeff Gladney, CB TCU. SPEED!! Can turn, run and play the ball.

Round 3a #75 (Trade down w/Indy) - Denzel Mims, WR Baylor. Will be everything we wanted TreQuan to be.

Round 3b - #88 Austin Jackson, OT USC. Swing tackle/ tackle eligible in jumbo packages as a rook, but Armstead better lookout.

Round 4 - Damien Lewis - OL, LSU. Can start day one in Peats's spot and have an Eric McCoy type of year.

Round 5- Shaq Quarterman - LBer, Miami. The biggest hitter in the draft.
I like this a bunch.

I could just about see any position with our first round pick.
Just going by a few takes that we hear every year:
  • Always use your first round pick on a BIG guy. OL and DL unless you really need or really see a QB. There are only so many men on earth at any given time that are big, strong, agile, smart, and athletic enough to play OL or DL... and there aren't enough for every NFL team to even have all "good" ones for their starting rotations. (Parcel's "planet" theory)
  • Always draft best player player available, regardless of position. You never know when your all-pro whatever could go down with injury. And your all-pro players tend to cost a ton, so you can't afford much quality backing them up unless they're on a rookie deal.
  • You draft a player in the first round, you expect him to start right away, unless he's a QB you want to groom for a year or whatever. 2nd and 3rd rounders are expected to contribute something year one, but get a small pass if they need some development.
  • You don't know your musts, needs, or wants until after the free agent signing period. All 3 of those things change as teams sign free agents, filling holes... or lose players, creating holes.
  • You draft this year for next year and beyond... not this year. There are exceptions (our 2017 draft), but it's extremely rare that a player is a real difference maker as a rookie.

But Geez... where's the fun in all that?

Personally, here's how I'd rank my wish list for our 1st and 3rd round picks:

1st - 3rd
QB - CB
CB - QB
CB - WR/TE
WR/TE - CB

I put WR/TE because in my opinion a young stud receiving TE would do as much or more for our current offense than a WR. We no longer run a vertical scheme. Our offense is designed to operate in the first 15 to 20 yards (max) past the line of scrimmage. This means receivers will almost always be covered or at least have to operate in a congested high-traffic area. Having a pair of big-bodied TEs with large catch radius's can give you a big match-up advantage in that area of the field. Also, you can disguise your play-calling somewhat by lining up in 2 TE sets. Also, Jared Cook will be 33 in April.

With an eye to the future... QB and CB are top future needs. OG is right up there with them.

Of course I wouldn't be mad if we drafted a stud WR or LB... Or heck, even a safety if the right guy slides (Delpit).

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom