DrudkhFan

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Defensive Line coach tells Grant and Smith to lose some weight

Resignings/New Contracts
Jeff Faine C
He is a good center
Gramitica K
He did a great job kicking field goals while Mare was out.
David Patten WR
a veteran reciever, and he's pretty good
Billy Miller TE
he has proved that he can make plays
Colston WR
I don't think anyone wants to lose him in FA next year
Will Smith DE
if he loses some weight he will probally have many more good seasons for the saints
Evans G
Has proved to be one of our best if not our best offensive lineman, over his first 2 years and he deserves the money

Trades:7th round pick and to Dallas for Bobby Carender LB
It may turn out that this guy wasn't a bust if we move him to a 4-3 defense, might as well give him a chance, he can't be worse than what we have. Can he? He was a first round pick in 06

Free Agents:
LJ Smith TE
We could use a good TE and I'm sure brees would love to have this guy
Corey Williams DT
a soild DT that had a good season with the Packers, he would help our defense a lot
Skyler Green KR/PR
we already signed him I think, and he could become a good returner for us possibly
Bryant Johnson WR
he plays behind 2 great receivers in Arizona and has potiential, he was a first round pick. It never hurts to have another target for Brees, as long as he doesn't drop the ball
Randall Gay CB
We must dign a CB with the injury to Mike Mckenzie

The Saint's Draft(if Dorsey and Ellis go before our pick):

Round One:
Dominique-Rodgers Cromarite CB
It may seem like a reach, but I expect him to have a good combine(McKelvin is also possible, or Kenny Phillips)
Dominique%20Rodgers-Cromartie,%20Tennessee%20State.jpg

Round 2: Curtis Lofton MLB
It is possible that he falls to us here he will make a huge impact right away if he does.(If he doesn't fall to us then Mayo is another good choice here)
ncf_u_lofton_195.jpg

Round 3: Eddie Royal WR
Payton would love to get this guy who could prove to be a nice addition to our strong group of wide receivers. (DJ Hall or Frank Okam may be possible here)
VTDUKE3.jpg

Round 4: Frank Okam DT
A big defensive tackle that could eventually replace Hollis Thomas who is getting old, he will probally get a good ammount of playing time his first year.(If we take Okam in round 3 Eddie Royal or DJ Hall might be here)
okam_frank_092105_300.jpg

Round 5: Dominique Barber S
He could turn out to be the best saftey in this draft class, he is also the brother of Marion Barber III.
p1fbsb1113F.jpg

Round 6:Jacob Hester RB/FB
if Deuce just isn't what he used to be then Jacob could eventually take his place. We didn't resign Stecker in this mock so he will take Stecker's place right now sharing carries with Deuce,Reggie,and Thomas, he can catch and is a great 3rd/4th and 1 back, he could prove to be a great weapon and with the carries split between 4 backs I don't see anyone getting too tired. He also went to LSU that's a plus as well.
zfqdffpkvkvelib20071007055447.jpg

Undrafted Free Agents:
Jack Ikegwuonu CB
he was injured and won't be able to play next season, but he could turn out to be a solid corner when he gets healthy, he probally would have been a first round pick if it wern't for the injury. So let's take the risk. He may be in trouble for trying to steal an xbox but with nfl money why would that be a problem for him in the future.
430488.jpg

Colt Brennan QB:
I don't know if he will be drafted or not, but the Sugar Bowl and Senior Bowl didn't do him any favors, he did win some accuracy contest on espn a few days ago though. He isn't ready just yet but he may be able to challenge Palko for #2 QB and eventually take over when Brees retires(which hopfully isn't for a long time). He isn't as accurate under pressure as I would like but I think he has some simularities to Brees and after having Brees for a mentor for a while maybe we won't notice the difference if Brees is injured or something. Of course he will need a lot of work but I would love to see him in a Saints Uniform
2006-11-07-colt.jpg

Trevor Scott DE:
He's pretty fast for DE and would probally make a good pass rusher, it would be nice to see him make an impact on 3rd and long. He will also add depth
Scott-261124FB-494w.jpg

I know it isn't the perfect offseason but it seems fairly realistic to me

Mock 2008 Depth Chart(if Mike Mckenzie is injured still):
QB:Brees,Palko,Brennan
RB: Deuce,Hester,Thomas
RB2:Reggie,Thomas
FB:Karney,Hester
TE:LJ Smith, Billy Miller
LT:Zach Strief
LG:Andy Alleman
C: Jeff Faine
RG: Evans
RT: Brown
WR1:Colston
WR2:Meachum,Bryant Johnson
WR3:Bryant Johnson,Eddie Royal,Skyler Green
WR4: David Patten,Eddie Royal, Lance Moore

DE:Will Smith
DT: Hollis Thomas,Frank Okam
DT: Corey Willams
DE:Charles Grant,Trevor Scott
OLB:Fujita
MLB:Lofton
OLB:Carpender
CB1:Usama Young, Randall Gay
CB2:Cromarite
CB3:Randall Gay,Jason David
CB4:Jason David
FS:Kevin Kaesviharn,Dominique Barber,Bullocks
SS: Roman Harper,Dominique Barber

K:Gramitica
P:Steve Weatherford
KR/PR:SkylerGreen,Reggie Bush
Injured:
Mike MckenzieCB
Jack IkegwuonuCB

Last edited:
I like almost all of it but I think you are forgetting about DT LJ Smith will be a target I think like it was rumored Tony Gonzales was going to be last off season but I think for the sake of the team I would rather target Corey Williams and not B. Johnson. Meachum is unproven but with LJ added, I think we have enough O. When you look at our DT situation we have a old HT, UFA Young, backup Lake and thats about it. Corey Williams is young and a proven starter IMO. Also if McK is doing bad with rehab this would change a lot.

Stinchomb and a 7th rd for Carpenter??? He may have been a 1st round pick in 2006 but he isnt worth 2 players, especially if one of them starts...

If you feel Josh Bullocks should be replaced at FS, then why not draft Kenny Phillips. In four years Kenny Phillips will be more valuable than DRC.

Stinchomb and a 7th rd for Carpenter??? He may have been a 1st round pick in 2006 but he isnt worth 2 players, especially if one of them starts...

You're right we could probally get away with just the 7th round pick for Carpender

If you feel Josh Bullocks should be replaced at FS, then why not draft Kenny Phillips. In four years Kenny Phillips will be more valuable than DRC.

I think it just depends on how Mike Mckinizie is doing in recovery. I like Kenny Phillips and I think he will be a playmaker, but I can't be certian who will be better between he and Cromarite in a few years.

I like almost all of it but I think you are forgetting about DT LJ Smith will be a target I think like it was rumored Tony Gonzales was going to be last off season but I think for the sake of the team I would rather target Corey Williams and not B. Johnson. Meachum is unproven but with LJ added, I think we have enough O. When you look at our DT situation we have a old HT, UFA Young, backup Lake and thats about it. Corey Williams is young and a proven starter IMO. Also if McK is doing bad with rehab this would change a lot.

I'm not sure what you mean, but I'm pretty sure than Corey Willams, and Frank Okam will improve our DT position enough for this offseason.
I don't see any reason why to not target both Bryant Johnson and Corey Williams.

I think Meachum could really impress us next season, we will have to wait and see I guess.

Thanks for the imput though.

Last edited:
You did a good job putting all this together.At first I wasn't to happy with the off season moves,but the more i thought about it I started to warm up. We all want to sign the best in FA and draft the best on Defense to fill our needs. It is likely not going to happen. All in all this mock offseason you put together would be putting us in the right direction.By next offseason we would be serious contenders year after year and very young.

Keny Phillips doesn't seem to be as highly rated as many here think after looking at Mike Detillier's mock and some of the other recent mock drafts. Detillier had Phillips going #27 to the Chargers and ESPN's McShay doesn't even have him going in the 1st round.:dunno:

i'd believe your draft, if the Saints had a history of being aggresive in Free Agency (which they dont) and I think alot of things have to fall your way to get all the "name" players you have us picking in the draft....not realistic (to me) at all.

I'd take DRC at 10, I'd take Talib at 10, matter of fact I stated in another thread the big off season moves i owuld make id

a. Do what it Takes to get Briggs in here, I think he comes cheaper than any corner, and if you do draft a LBer at 10 your paying them around what we could probably get Briggs in here for. Samual, Trufant, Nnamdi will all get deals bigger than Briggs if they all hit the Market (probably not likely, Samuel will be the only one hitting FA)

B. Trade a 4th for Shaun Rogers, I think he can be a force inside if motivated, I would be worried under the Haslett era about motivation. But I think Payton runs a much much much tighter ship. I think Rogers can keep his weight down playing in NO heat, rather than in a bubble in Detroit. I've heard of guys losing 10 pounds a day in that heat and humidity. I would grab him and if he does pan out A 4th wouldn't be much to part with IMO he will have more impact, than any 4th rounder. Our last 4th rounder never made the team, now I know some 4th find gems but more often that not they don't. He is a monster DT when motivated, and can hold the nose on any defense in the league.

C. Draft all Corners on the first day, we need 1 possibly 2 and there is only one way to get corners cheap, and thats draftng and developing your own. I would try and get, DRC, Talib, Jenkins, or Cason in the first.

Pat Lee, or Brandon Flowers in the 2nd, and who ever may fall in the 3rd. We need corners in a bad way, lets get a few of them in here and get it figured out for a change. Instead of grabbing one and hoping he works out. Becuase if we don;t grab a FA (and even then) It all a crap shoot, only way to get better odds is to dip you hands in a few times and get multiple guys.

EDIT: the Shaun Rogers deal would also have to be a draft day trade, just incase Dorsey or Ellis falls.

Last edited:
No way on Brennan! He was exposed as a very mediocre, at best, QB in a system that made him look better than he actually is.

Your draft is a :worthy:
DRC, Lofton, and Okam are 3 players I would love us to get.

Unfortunately, your resignings have us giving Colston, Evans and Smith deals. Those would be big ones. In all 3 cases at least 5 years, maybe 3 or 4 million a year.
Faine will want an upgrade his 2 year, 1 million deal.
Then we would be pretty restricted in terms of where we could go after that.

I think the Pats will release Samuels and keep Gay, he's been very reliable for them, and Samuels will want Nate Clements money. The Pats balance things very well, so I see them doing it.

Bryant Johnson would be a great target for Brees, but he will probably be the best WR come free agency, and I don't think we can afford to get into a bidding war when there are teams like the Eagles, Vikes and Titans who will break the bank for him or Berrian.

Royal and Green are pretty much the same. Both are great returners, who were good recievers in college but will not be come the NFL. I can't see a reason to keep them both on, if we are going to have 6 WRs anyway which I think is essential for us. Keep Royal, drop Green.

Overall I like it, but its very risky and aggressive, you are taking the chance on DRC being productive immediately (IMO he's a stud but we'll see), Royal will be as good a reciever as he is a returner, Okam will need to lose a bit of weight, as he is listed at 320, and those are always lies anyway, he's probably over that. You're hoping Gay can produce when he doesn't have the Pats defensive line.
If that's the path we want to go this offseason i am all for it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom