Mock Saints draft by Duncan (1 Viewer)

Athletic relative to his competition, or out of the crop of TEs?

It'd be hard for me to justify taking a guy that's going to basically be making the jump from high school level to the NFL over a guy like Leggett who did it consistently against great college defenses.

Shaheen is athletic enough to have been a combine invite just like leggett but seems to have a better frame for blocking and post up catches like a power forward.

Not sure what where he played at has to do with his potential. Shannon Sharpe played at the mighty Savanna State if you remember and funny that you should mention it but Antonio Gates did go straight from high school to the pros.

Shaheen is athletic enough to have been a combine invite just like leggett but seems to have a better frame for blocking and post up catches like a power forward.

Not sure what where he played at has to do with his potential. Shannon Sharpe played at the mighty Savanna State if you remember and funny that you should mention it but Antonio Gates did go straight from high school to the pros.

Is Shaheen on that Sharpe/Gates athleticism level though? I only watched a brief clip, but he looks much more stiff and robotic. He has getaway speed, but I'd assume from watching that he doesn't have the A+ athleticism that those two or Jimmy Graham had.

I'd feel a lot better about Duncan (aka: Scooter) if he'd issue an apology for sucking up to the frenzied sports media during the Bountygate saga.

I'm sure he's posting stuff that's worth considering, but it's difficult for me to be objective about his opinion. By comparison, Florio stepped up and earned a lot of points with our fan base... he was one of the few who analyzed Bountygate objectively.

It's hard to forget how much of a tool he (Duncan) was during a time when the franchise needed all the friends it could get. :mad:

If he issued a conciliatory statement, I might be able to get back on board with him as a credible sports journalist and beat writer. Until then, he can talk to the hand.

I apologize to the OP for this threadjacking tirade. Let's resume our regularly scheduled programming.

:gosaints:

That's a big part of it, but for me it's that he can't seem to post anything without it having a negative spin on it.

That goes for all local sports. He's that guy that just likes to complain and he really has made it a point to distance himself from the local fan base and sports teams.

Some of his articles make you wonder if he even follows football.

McKinley, Moreau, and Shareen are great picks.

Maybin won't trill people. Comes in off an injury. Though it wasn't his knee or back, so...no worse for wear than Reuben Foster, I guess, who is my #1 want.

1--LB/DE
2--QB
3--CB
4--TE
6--LB
7--OL

Reasonable, though I would not draft a CB and TE that high unless they are very special players. I don't play the name game, it's pure guessing.

McKinley, Moreau, and Shareen are great picks.

Maybin won't trill people. Comes in off an injury. Though it wasn't his knee or back, so...no worse for wear than Reuben Foster, I guess, who is my #1 want.

FWIW, Maybin had 26 consecutive starts prior to his shoulder injury that cost him the majority of 2016. He is undersized, but so was Jonathan Vilma. And, while he's not in the same stratosphere in terms of potential, his scouting profile reads very similar to what was said about Vilma back during his draft process.

I don't see us taking a QB until at least the 6th round, maybe not even then. Personally, I wouldn't take one until next year at the earliest.

Pat Mahomes has talent, but I think he's a reach above the 4th or 5th round, and the Saints are not just a new 2nd round QB away from taking the next step.

I would like to see Luke McCown upgraded, but the Saints seem fine with Luke, and upgrading him should never be at the expense of another top 3 tround pick like Grayson. Unless something changes, Loomis and Payton failed on Grayson, and they don't have credibility and capital anymore to reach high for another QB - at this moment.

Mahomes will have a flashy highlight video, but so would you and I if we were playing in the Mike Leach coaching tree Air Raid offense, which almost always is for a team with a defenseless defense, and playing against poor defenses.

You look at Big XII Mahomes' 2016 game stats and it's difficult to see that translating to the pro level. There are even some stinkers in it. He's a runner too which is enticing, until you see that he played half the season with an injured AC joint in his throwing shoulder, and, he had wrist surgery on his non-throwing arm after the season.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/3139477/patrick-mahomes-ii

You look at the Big XII QB's in the NFL, and not one of them (there are about 10) is an impact player. It's a list headlined by RGKnee, or Bradford, who scares nobody. I won't even include TCU's Andy Dalton, because he was never a Fun'n'Gun passer.

Mahomes is very nice, talented QB. But not at the expense of adding a defensive piece or an offensive lineman in the draft, regardless of what happens in free agency.

Last season there was below average QB pressure. The CB situation wasn't the greatest either. This is not the year to get a QB in the second round, maybe the sixth. I have seen mocks of us trading down with the Cards and that would be OK but that puts in danger of losing the second best DE. And I think we all know that there is going to be a run on the edge position in the first round. Why chance it, the Saints are in a position to make a splash without trying.

Also, if a guard is not signed in free agency and if they do not draft one within the first three picks than something is terribly wrong. No offense outside of a guard should be picked within the first three rounds. Period.

Maybe he got some more "inside" tips from the Saints draft room.

I will be surprised if Reeves makes it to the 6th round.

Oh..and Duncan is an idiot so there's that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom