*mod Edit* S. I. (3 Viewers)

Reaction score
While waiting at the doctors office, I picked up an old issue of SI - the NFL Preview.

Here's what it says about our boys:

"Drew Brees will be a major upgrade"

"This defense will be awful."

"Brees is holding back."

"Emotion can carry a team with fourth-place talent only so far"

And my personal favorite:

"4th Place in the NFC South"

Forgive the quality of this scan. Its been on the floor of my car for several months where it belongs.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/sumatrae/Untitled-1.jpg

If you want real fun, go to the power rankings on ESPN and click on the pre-season link, and follow it up to this week.

The first few weeks are fun to read, especially the week 2 power rankings, under Green Bay: "When you are losing Home games to teams like the Saints, you know you are struggling".

"For Drew Brees to be good, he's got to have confidence throwing on the run. I don't see that yet. He's holding back." :D

I understand people get upset by reading things like this but its not that big of a deal. I usually read things like that and laugh. Then when everything they say turns out not to be true I laugh even harder. I want the Saints to get the props they deserve but I also like be the team under the radar all season long. A guy at my work pretty much says the Saints don't have a chance to do anything come playoff time. This coming from a guy who hasn't seen a single Saints game (and he's a cincy fan). But anyway I just let him talk, and so oh yeah, ok. I'll let the game be settled where its supposed to be on the field not in some magazine.

I personally like the "an opposing team scouts take" on the left. Maybe that team should re-evaluate thier scouting staff....other than the Bush comment, he was dead wrong ( Brees, us Tanking and testing Payton, Will Smith the Only playmaker on D. )

"the Saints offensive line is so weak"

dude the same things were being said about our team on this forum... or at least we were all thinking it because i know i was.

I know I tell myself every year..."The preason doesn't mean anything at all. nada. zilch. zed", but boy did the Saints look bad in the preseason. That's where this stuff comes from.

"Besides Will Smith there is not one above average player on defense."

Well, whatever. But in the preseason, I would have agreed with all of the headlines quoted thusfar. :shrug:

ESPN:
We have now seen all four NFC South franchises in camp and the Saints are the only one that seems to have no realistic chance of contending for a playoff spot. - Len Pasquarelli

I know I tell myself every year..."The preason doesn't mean anything at all. nada. zilch. zed", but boy did the Saints look bad in the preseason. That's where this stuff comes from.
I think thats part of the humor. They get funnier as they get more and more wrong.

ESPN:
We have now seen all four NFC South franchises in camp and the Saints are the only one that seems to have no realistic chance of contending for a playoff spot. - Len Pasquarelli

It sure looked like it at the end of the preseason.

I was hanging my hopes on the ifs:
If our offensive line can came together and play respectable. . .
If Brees' shoulder continues to mend. . .
If the playcalling was vanilla during preseason, maybe we can surprise some teams with inventive playcalling. . .
If Bush's presence on the field can keep defenses honest, it can cover up some of our weaknesses . . .
If this set of backup linebackers can play as a unit, maybe we can slow down opponents running games. . .
If Devery or one of these rookie receivers can step up and help Joe Horn . . .
If Hollis Thomas can fill the middle can actually play like a real nosetackle . . .

. . . we may have a chance at a .500 season or maybe even a winning season. :hihi:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom