[Mod edit Speculation based on Unsubstantiated Source] Would it Surprise Anyone if we Traded Davenport after the Season? (1 Viewer)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
Let's pretend that Marcus continues to have nagging injuries. Do you think we would trade him?

From an unsubstantiated source, a darn accurate one with Davenport, I heard the rumor that the Saints were really frustrated with Davenport. I tried to buzz for reasons knowing that he didn't show-up in prime shape for 2019 after a weak offseason program. I couldn't get an answer on this. All I kept getting is that the Saints were really frustrated with Davenport and if we got Clowney, Marcus may already have been traded.

I'm not going to the bank on this rumor. But with so much invested, if Marcus still has power to launch off his right foot, I can't see us trading him in the offseason. Can you? Then again, I am a self admitted Davenport homer

I know you have a great source on Davenport and trust everything you're saying.

With that said, I think there's also a tendency to be a little reactionary to things like this when one is close to the situation. I'm sure there is some frustration. But you also heard reports about Davenport looking great in training camp (he even started a fight when he lifted Ty Montgomery up into the air on a goal line drill). And if he were expected to miss extended time (more than two weeks), we would've put him on IR.

Davenport is so, so good when he's healthy. He hasn't proven he can stay that way yet, but I would definitely hold off until we see him Monday vs. LV or next Sunday vs. GB before we think about that.

Why would we try to trade him if his value is at its absolute low? That wouldn’t make any sense. It’s more likely that the team signs him to a team friendly deal and wait for him to get over his injuries which I have no doubt it will happen. The talent isn’t the issue and the injuries will pass.

I don't think so. for one, he is still on his rookie contract. those will be very valuable next year. and two, I believe that since they have been so patient with Armstead and his injuries, I believe they will continue to go with Davenport.

Only way I see this happening is he has a monster year and starts demanding a huge contract the Saints aren't willing to pay. That's the only thing that has driven the Saints to trade their players. He's been excellent when healthy. I'm sure they are frustrated with the injuries but the performance has been there. He had a top 10 pressure rate among DE's last year. Better than any of the FA DEs we've been clamoring over. He's also good against the run.

If the injuries continue I see little point in trying to trade him. You won't get any significant value back, you have him on a cheap deal in 2021 with a 5th-year option n 2022 and you might be able to get him on a new cheap contract.

I have to think the organization is frustrated with Davenport--hence, the very strong interest in Clowney.

However, I don't see a trade. Two reasons. First, if Davenport does return and play well, we will want to keep him and exercise the fifth-year option on him. Second, if Davenport does not return and play well, his trade value, as noted above, is limited.

The interesting question is whether the Saints will exercise the fifth-year option on Davenport after the end of the 2020 season.

If Davenport continues to be injured we will be lucky to get peanuts for him.

It's just cost of opportunity. I would rather gamble on two years of Davenport's health on his rookie deal than getting maybe a 6th rounder for him.

A possible trade don't make any sense to me, even if Hendrickson and Granderson have a good season and jump on him on the depth chart.

No, simply due to the fact that if we trade him next year we only save 2 million. We cannot replace his production when healthy for anything close to that.

If anything I could see an extension, something like a 2/20

Only way I see this happening is he has a monster year and starts demanding a huge contract the Saints aren't willing to pay. That's the only thing that has driven the Saints to trade their players. He's been excellent when healthy. I'm sure they are frustrated with the injuries but the performance has been there. He had a top 10 pressure rate among DE's last year. Better than any of the FA DEs we've been clamoring over. He's also good against the run.

If the injuries continue I see little point in trying to trade him. You won't get any significant value back, you have him on a cheap deal in 2021 with a 5th-year option n 2022 and you might be able to get him on a new cheap contract.

I agree, he isn't going anywhere. When, and yes that is a big "when" in there, he is healthy, he is a top 10-15 DE. His Cap hit this year is $3.75 million, and just under $4.4 million in 2021. You don't trade away his potential for a mid round pick. Probably could not get much for him unless he is healthy, and if he is healthy, he will produce and be worth every dollar he makes. Cam Jordan will be 33 in 2022 with a cap hit of almost $20 million. How many more years is he going to play? Three, four, five??? He will probably get a restructure again next year and they will add another void year at the end of his deal. Loomising needs to be a word.

If the Saints are “really frustrated” with him, then no it wouldn’t be a surprise if they got rid of him. That’s a big “if” tho

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom