Monopoly, Money, Privilege, & Psychology (1 Viewer)

Trivial Pursuit and Scrabble were the games in my house...nobody ever got mad because we all knew and accepted that my dad was winning...if he wasn't playing, it was my second oldest sister that was winning....

there was a hierarchy and i was at the bottom :mad:

Scattergories was our 'fun for everyone' game where i actually had a chance

Trivial Pursuit and Scrabble were the games in my house...nobody ever got mad because we all knew and accepted that my dad was winning...if he wasn't playing, it was my second oldest sister that was winning....

there was a hierarchy and i was at the bottom :mad:

Scattergories was our 'fun for everyone' game where i actually had a chance

Not sure if my parents let me win or if I am just good at games, but my girls know I don't let them win. I used to dominate them in Pretty Pretty Princess when they were little.

I haven't watched the video yet but I can't understand why folks have such a hard time identifying and acknowledging their privilege.

We can see when other people are treated differently because of their title/status/who they know, but we somehow can't see it in ourselves.

It's not as if we think we're all created equally. We think we're better than others for various reasons (chances are, I think I'm smarter than you).

So why is it so hard to believe that we're treated better than others for those same reasons? That difference; that thing you (and society) believes elevates you - is your privilege.

I haven't watched the video yet but I can't understand why folks have such a hard time identifying and acknowledging their privilege.

We can see when other people are treated differently because of their title/status/who they know, but we somehow can't see it in ourselves.

It's not as if we think we're all created equally. We think we're better than others for various reasons (chances are, I think I'm smarter than you).

So why is it so hard to believe that we're treated better than others for those same reasons? That difference; that thing you (and society) believes elevates you - is your privilege.
Yeah, you are pretty much right. But watch the video, it's interesting. At least, I thought so.

Seems apocryphal?

Also somebody may have ripped off the Zimbardo experiment.

I tend to go into these Ted Talks wormholes and was still on the clock, but I've watched it. It's a little different than the path I was going down. Knowing me, I probably wouldn't have started the game unless someone told me WHY I had more money. What kind of set up is this.

But I think we so desperately want/need to think we're special all by ourselves. What's wrong with someone helping you be special? It's not that much different. The results are exactly the same.

I got this job all by myself vs. I got this job because I knew someone. You still got the job. So why lie to yourself about how or why you got it. Where is the advantage in denying your privilege. Do people really not see it. How... how can you not see that you started with more money than the dude across from you. And how can you not see it helped you win.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom