Monty Williams (1 Viewer)

saintbilly25

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
What are you guys opinions of him as a head coach? I can't quite decide how I feel about him long term. I think he is good at developing talent and great at motivating and getting everyone to play as hard as they can, despite the score and the record. But he does not sem to be good at making in game adjustments and his substitutions are horrible IMO. He seems stubborn as far as sticking with what he decided pre game. It doesn't matter if a player is red hot or ice cold, he will take a shooter out to rest after scoring 10 straight points and looking fresh and leave a player in that just shot 3 air balls in a row and looks exhausted. And the plays he draws up after timeouts, and specifically with the game on line, seem to lack innovation and creativity. I think he is a great for this young team right now, but am worried about it costing us games in the future when we are playing for playoff positioning. As a whole, I think he is a good young coach, I just have my reservations with him. What say you Hornets fans?

He seems like he's learning on the job. I don't see a guy taking the reigns with full control
Just the way Davis was getting frustrated and Monty was really unable to control him. He just benched him and we missed a chance to win b/c of that today.

I don't see what's so great about him and why he gets respect, other than the fact that he had a good backgrond with spurs.
Our offense is worst in nba and we nothing creative but outside shooters.

Last night's game was very frustrating to watch. We win that game with most other coaches IMO. He kept the bench players in for way too long in each half, which is when the Lakers made their runs each time. At one point, they missed 17 consecutive shots I believe(all by bench players) He needs to sprinkle in some starters and a couple of bench players instead of having either all starters or all bench players in. Is it that surprising that the team goes cold when the players out there are Brian Roberts, Austin Rivers, Lance Thomas, Ryan Anderson and Jason Smith? If Anderson isn't scoring, then we are screwed. I thought he was learning too, but he seemed to regress in 2 of the last 3 games(Rockets and Lakers)

We have to consider, given the types of rotations he uses, that he's more about evaluating/developing talent this year and, essentially, tanking for another lottery pick.

If that explains his actions,it's explicable. This is a weak draft, picking 13 isn't likely to get us much, and with the injuries early in the year, a bottom seed playoff run is out of the question.

Further, given how good and how young the starting lineup looks whe healthy at times, we're likely going to be competing for at least a bottom seed spot next year (with improved depth). Meaning this is likely the last shot at a top 3 pick for a few years at least.

Given these facts, it makes sense to focus on finding which reserves are worth anything, which lineups can generate a +, determine what you still need, and frankly finish in the bottom 3 of the lottery. It's frustrating, but from a team building perspective, clearly the right thing to do.

Keep in mind, New Orleans should have a fair amount of cap space next year, and near max level if they dump Lopez's unguaranteed 2014 contract (which makes it a very valuable trade chip too). This team can, potentially, be pretty damn good next year.

Just as a for instance, we could absorb Rudy Gays max level deal this offseason, and only have to give back Rivers, Aminu, and Lopez (who Memphis could immediately cut). The savings to Memphis would be over 14 mil if they desperately wanted to dump salary next year. Unlikely, but they just killed their depth in a straight salary dump this year already so depending in the financial situation....

I can see that, but we didn't tank last year when we were competing for the top pick in the draft. It seems to me like Monty is really trying to win out there, he just doesn't know how to do it. I think he would get a better evaluation of the bench players if he let them play with some of the starters at times. It is hard to evalauate or develop anyone when you have Brian Roberts dribbling until 6-8 seconds are left on the shot clock before hoisting up a long 2 pointer or passing to someone for a contested corner 3 up against the shot clock.

Well I suppose "tanking" can mean different things. We're not 40+ win team this year. Even of we had been healthy to start it would have been a stretch given the youth and depth, and obviously it's a non issue now. So being a lottery team doesn't exactly take that much "effort".

That said, we're obviously not maximizing available lineups, in a way that's so obvious that it can't be anything else but him focusing on developing/experimenting. Eric Gordon is 23, he played 32 minutes last night. In fact, despite being a young team with no depth, no one played over 32 minutes, which meant we had a complete lineup rotate out at a critical moment and the lakers go on huge run. Meanwhile Kobe is playing 38 minutes a night despite his age because the lakers are trying to compete for a spot.

So how do we evaluate Monty as a head coach? Is he a bad coach? Is he a good coach doing a bad job on purpose? I have very mixed feelings about him. I cannot figure out if I like him in this position or not, and this thread just added to that confusion, thanks a lot LSSpam!

As of right now, I don't think he is a coach that will ever lead us to anything more than a top 4 seed and maybe win 1 playoff series. I think his strongsuit, by far, is coaching up players and maximizing their abilities. His weakness, again by far, is his in game management and adjustments. If we are in a close playoff series, I feel like he could potentially cost us a game or 2.

Just as a for instance, we could absorb Rudy Gays max level deal this offseason

I realize you were just using him as an example but........

Rudy Gay has a big name, but he doesn't have a big game. Very inefficient, over-paid player. We would lose a lot of our flexibility by putting his $17/$18 million per year contract on our books. There are too many other SFs that will be available through trade or in the offseason. Don't want.

So how do we evaluate Monty as a head coach? Is he a bad coach? Is he a good coach doing a bad job on purpose? I have very mixed feelings about him. I cannot figure out if I like him in this position or not, and this thread just added to that confusion, thanks a lot LSSpam!

As of right now, I don't think he is a coach that will ever lead us to anything more than a top 4 seed and maybe win 1 playoff series. I think his strongsuit, by far, is coaching up players and maximizing their abilities. His weakness, again by far, is his in game management and adjustments. If we are in a close playoff series, I feel like he could potentially cost us a game or 2.

What I'm saying is you can't evaluate how he handles matchups, minutes, rotations right now. With the injuries and current development of the team, it makes perfect sense for him to be juggling rotations. If he is focusing on development/evaluation this year, which is logical, the rotations and minutes will look ridiculous at times. Especially with the injuries we've had.

He may be terrible at those things, I don't know. That's my point though, we don't now. I'm reminded of Doc Rivers. The criticisms were the exact same before he got Garnett and Allen. Now he's considered a really good coach, even as he squeezes the last drops of ability out of a broken down aging roster. His handling of the lineup suddenly became a strength, not weakness, as soon as the Celtics went from a lottery team to contender.

Basically we'll just have to see next year. We should be too good to get a top 3 pick meaning we should be pushing for a bottom playoff seed, even in a strong West. We'll know more then.

I realize you were just using him as an example but........

Rudy Gay has a big name, but he doesn't have a big game. Very inefficient, over-paid player. We would lose a lot of our flexibility by putting his $17/$18 million per year contract on our books. There are too many other SFs that will be available through trade or in the offseason. Don't want.

Yeah I was just using it as an example. Value in the NBA is in talent, cap space, or lottery picks. This will, hopefully, be the last significant lottery pick we have for awhile. So in order to get talent without giving up talent in return, we either do it through free agency or, as in the example, eat a horrible contract in a trade. But since we can absorb salary without pushing it back out, we can orchestrate a trade that sends cap space out, but not talent, meaning a net win.

Our ability to absorb salary ahead of the 2014 FA class (which is going to be huge) is our biggest advantage, especially since we're unlikely to entice a front line FA like Lebron or Carmelo. Teams like Dallas, Philly, Washington, Chicago, etc may be in dump off mode to make a big play.

By contrast, unless Iggy doesn't resign with Denver, there isn't a real game changer for us in 2013. Igoudala would be perfect though :covri:

He's actually a very good designer in blob's and slob's.

I watch almost every game and his constant changing of lineups is very frustrating. Aminu, for example, looked like he was turning the corner but now he's barely seeing the court again. I'm no NBA coach, but I've seen enough of some of our guys to know they shouldn't be in our rotation. As stated, Monty doesn't seem to stick with what's working. I was at the Lakers game Tues night and a Laker fan next to me kept asking why we were sticking with our subs for so long. I had no answer for him.
That said, the future is bright. We need to build around Vasquez, Davis, Anderson, and Gordon in my opinion. Anyway, here's to next season...

I question some coaching decisions on Monty but will give him the benefit of the doubt due to injuries to Davis and that soap opera Gordon. Next season will be a make or break year for Monty. If Monty can't do it(Playoffs) next year time to move on, Hire Jeff Van Gundy.

Take back what I said last week. These epic losses that are happening under Monty's watch is getting worse and worse. Media calling Monty out as well.

Handwerger: Williams leading Hornets to bottom with excuses, questionable decisions | wwltv.com New Orleans

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ssf/2013/03/new_orleans_hornets_coach_mont_103.html

After the game, Davis’ father, Anthony Davis Sr., was seen marching out of the family room near the Hornets’ locker room at the arena, visibly upset and shouting loudly into a phone about his son not playing for nearly the entire fourth quarter.

I was all for Monty but after this performance the Pelicans need to look for another coach. That is unacceptable. WOW!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom