Moon Pies (1 Viewer)

I'd think that the crispy cookie might make for an unstable eating experience. I can see that filling being pushed out by the force needed to chomp thru the cookies.

Maybe if you can get a really firm consistency on the filling it'll work.

And the crumbs…don’t forget about the crumbs

I'd think that the crispy cookie might make for an unstable eating experience. I can see that filling being pushed out by the force needed to chomp thru the cookies.

Maybe if you can get a really firm consistency on the filling it'll work.

If the cookie is crispy, but fragile, it should break at just the right time when biting.
Also I just read that the Moon Pie "cookie" is graham cracker. I don't think it is.

If the cookie is crispy, but fragile, it should break at just the right time when biting.
Also I just read that the Moon Pie "cookie" is graham cracker. I don't think it is.
I know the Pillsbury dough in tube form which is ready to eat raw will produce a crispy but easy to snap cookie when you do it right. It has to be fairly thin and then cooked a tad longer than normal, but it gets crispy and breaks really easily. Crumbs will ensue as well.

I've read pastry chefs who claim to make a crispy but chewy cookie by freezing it prior to baking. This lets the outside brown more while leaving the inside softer.

ETA:

Maybe try a to adapt Milano cookie recipe. Those may be the perfect style cookie for what you seek.

yea I saw that too. Definitely not one of any quality anyway. If you could say then that outside is anything like a chocolate, then this thing is almost a s’mores.

I haven't had either in years.

The Mom & Pop pizza places in, and around, Chicago will give free, two-liter bottles of RC when you order a set amount from them so RC stays relevant around here but I don't know anybody who buys it.

moon pies are the hotdog of the cake\candy industry made up of machine scrapings etc, i think most of the cake \candy industry has a version

i like them as i do hot dogs but cant say ive had them at the same time

Don't leave us hanging. How far did you throw it?
Ha, I don't know the exact distance. 200-something feet. It wasn't exactly an Olympic-level event (or competitors).

You basically get to manipulate the moon pie however you want. A lot of people thought the flying saucer frisbee throw method was the best. But the minute that sucker gets any air resistance it flips and tumbles. A lot of people crumpled them up, but not in a smart enough way.

I decided the best option was put the tiniest hole possible in one corner and slowly bleed the air out. Then I carefully crumpled and manipulated the moon pie into a ball (thank you "stale" cookie) without further breaking the wrapper. Then I carefully tucked the "open corner" into the ball and worked the ball back around it so it was airtight and compact. Then it was just a matter of throwing something about the size of a racquetball and hoping for the best (the roll counted -- another advantage to balling it up).

I'll try to take a picture of the giant 1st place ribbon I got if I can remember this afternoon.

Ha, I don't know the exact distance. 200-something feet. It wasn't exactly an Olympic-level event (or competitors).

You basically get to manipulate the moon pie however you want. A lot of people thought the flying saucer frisbee throw method was the best. But the minute that sucker gets any air resistance it flips and tumbles. A lot of people crumpled them up, but not in a smart enough way.

I decided the best option was put the tiniest hole possible in one corner and slowly bleed the air out. Then I carefully crumpled and manipulated the moon pie into a ball (thank you "stale" cookie) without further breaking the wrapper. Then I carefully tucked the "open corner" into the ball and worked the ball back around it so it was airtight and compact. Then it was just a matter of throwing something about the size of a racquetball and hoping for the best (the roll counted -- another advantage to balling it up).

I'll try to take a picture of the giant 1st place ribbon I got if I can remember this afternoon.
200+ ft for a racquetball is pretty frikkin good
I think I would have gone overhead like a trebuchet- but that’s why you’re the champ and I’m typing on an iPhone

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom