Moooo St vs LSU game thread (1 Viewer)

What happened to the fans in the 4th quarter? The stands looked empty.

I was at the game yesterday and realized that it would not be a full house just based on how many folks were walking around trying to sell a handful of tickets. I'm sure the earlier threat of rain (which never produced so much as a sprinkle before, during, or after the game) kept some fans away. By the middle of the first quarter the stadium looked fairly full, but perhaps the bright gold outerwear of the majority of the fans gave that appearance. (This was the designated 'Gold Game'.)

The 20 point lead at halftime gave the appearance that it would be a runaway game and by early in the 3rd quarter there were noticeably less fans in the seats. But the Tigers gave few reasons to keep the fans interested during the first that period having been pinned deep in their territory and not even crossing the 50 yard line.

It wasn't until the Bulldogs began making a game of the contest that the remaining fans had to wake up and give their vocal encouragement and support. By that time the fans who left were likely watching the nail-biting final moments from home. The second half of our recent games have not brought out the best in the Tigers and some seem to be expecting them to falter late.

Not a good way to be going into the tougher part of our schedule.

I think part of it might be that a lot of people were hit hard by the floods and the effects from that are still lingering. Regardless, there's always a certain percentage of fans that leave games early for lots of different reasons. It certainly didn't look good with that many gone early in the last game, but there might be good reasons for it.

Some of the national media questioning the empty seats in the 2nd half. It doesn't look good.

Lsu has been very fortunate that the fans have been supportive over the past few years. Is that support starting unravel? I don't know about sales but clearly the attitude has changed. Of those that left, I'd guess many were not regular attendees.

I'm guessing many of those in the stands are people that got tickets from holders that didn't want to attend. That could explain why we had good initial attendance but departures in the 2nd half.

I wish we had blown msu out but they're a good team and have played us tough before. They came in with a chip and gave us all they had. I don't think this game is an indicator of what we'll see the rest of the year. I expect improvement. With that will come the return of season ticket holders willing to stick around til the end

The national media has never been stuck in post-LSU game traffic.

Etling looked much better than Harris.

The 2nd half of that game, however, was a reminder that Les Miles is still our coach. I see 6 losable games on our remaining schedule. I think we lose at least 3 of them.

The 2nd half of that game, however, was a reminder that Les Miles is still our coach. I see 6 losable games on our remaining schedule. I think we lose at least 3 of them.

Yeah
And I question whether miles can survive even one more loss.

In looking at the remainder of the schedule, and reflecting on the way the miss st game went, I get a big concerned about Auburn, ole miss and bama.

We need to tighten up that 2nd half.

First of all, I agree LSU is not a dominating team. I think LSU is at significant risk of losing any of the SEC games left on their schedule. The only team left in the SEC where I think LSU should win comfortably is Missouri. The only SEC game where I think LSU has a less than fifty percent chance of winning is Bama.

I get the displeasure with Miles. What I find lately is that he gets no credit for whenever the team does well and all the blame when they do poorly. When the defense plays well, Aranda gets all the credit. When the offense plays well Cameron gets all the credit (Miles took the handcuffs off everyone says). When the offense struggles the mantra is Miles took the reigns away from Cameron.

Cameron called he first and second half, as he always does. Miles has the ability to change plays, which he rarely does.

Miles did not take the foot off the gas in the second half as many LSU fans claim. They threw on first down, they even threw from their end zone. They had poor field position the entire second half. Two drives were stopped by uncharacteristic Fournette fumbles, one happening when Miles aggressively went for it on fourth down.

LSU lined up like most every team in the world does for onside kicks. Three guys on the line are to let the ball go through and block, the rear guys field the ball. The rear guys moved up to catch the ball on the bounce. A great high bounce for State went over their heads and somehow stayed in bounds.

Our offense looked better the last seven quarters for one reason and one reason only. Etling is better than Harris. He has more presence in the pocket and shows the ability to check down to secondary receivers to convert key third downs. Harris was 2 for 12 on third down.

Other than Bama, you can look at any SEC top team's schedule and pick six or so games they might lose. The East teams have it a bit easier because they play each other. The East has Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Missouri and South Carolina on the bottom as potential games top teams should win. The bottom team in the West would beat a lot of college teams.

Etling has the ability to make Miles and Cameron look a lot smarter.

Yeah
And I question whether miles can survive even one more loss.

In looking at the remainder of the schedule, and reflecting on the way the miss st game went, I get a big concerned about Auburn, ole miss and bama.

We need to tighten up that 2nd half.

He could lose to Bama, and maybe one other one at most. Anything more than that and the calls for another coach will be too loud to ignore.

Regardless, I just hope they keep working and coaching Etling because he looks like he has a ton of potential and would be nice to have the QB position set for a couple of years.

Not sure it's indicative of anything but I have been offered 2 season tickets for the remainder of the season from a longterm holder

also
Coctail rumor talk- big money guys from up north (shreveport) already have the funds lined up for Miles' buyout and targeting Houston head coach tom Herman as the replacement. Wheels are in motion now to avoid embarassment. Miles is fully aware of the situation.

Take it for what its worth

I have a hard time blaming Miles for the second half. Fournette fumbled twice, stopping promising drives and the O-Line shuffled no less than 4 line ups in the second half. The second drive started with their ***** hanging over the goal line and ended in FG range with LF7s fumble. While they didn't exactly step on Miss State's throats, they didn't get conservative and start playing ball control either.

The playcalling and execution for this game was the best we've seen in a regular season game in years.

Just keep improving...

I have a hard time blaming Miles for the second half. Fournette fumbled twice, stopping promising drives and the O-Line shuffled no less than 4 line ups in the second half. The second drive started with their ***** hanging over the goal line and ended in FG range with LF7s fumble. While they didn't exactly step on Miss State's throats, they didn't get conservative and start playing ball control either.

The playcalling and execution for this game was the best we've seen in a regular season game in years.

Just keep improving...

I will add to that. There is a time and place for conservative play calling in a football game.

LSU had a 17 point lead with something over 6 minutes left, and LSU had the best running back in the country. The defense for LSU was very good. Even though LSU had not gone into a shell in the second half, as some claim, there would have been nothing wrong in my book in running the ball more and running clock.

The likelihood of a game changing turnover would have been much greater putting the ball up as opposed to running Fournette. Fournette has been good with ball security over his career and is a threat to go all the way every time he touches the ball.

I would agree over Miles tenure there have been times when the offense became too conservative, too early. I think a lot of that has been lack of confidence with the qb, understandably so.

But there still is a time and place for running clock and being conservative. When you are up 17 late in the game, you don't want to risk interceptions. You don't want to stop the clock with incompletes. LSU was on a very nice time consuming drive when Fournette fumbled. Had he not fumbled, the game would have been basically over.

I will add to that. There is a time and place for conservative play calling in a football game.

LSU had a 17 point lead with something over 6 minutes left, and LSU had the best running back in the country. The defense for LSU was very good. Even though LSU had not gone into a shell in the second half, as some claim, there would have been nothing wrong in my book in running the ball more and running clock.

The likelihood of a game changing turnover would have been much greater putting the ball up as opposed to running Fournette. Fournette has been good with ball security over his career and is a threat to go all the way every time he touches the ball.

I would agree over Miles tenure there have been times when the offense became too conservative, too early. I think a lot of that has been lack of confidence with the qb, understandably so.

But there still is a time and place for running clock and being conservative. When you are up 17 late in the game, you don't want to risk interceptions. You don't want to stop the clock with incompletes. LSU was on a very nice time consuming drive when Fournette fumbled. Had he not fumbled, the game would have been basically over.

Spot on imo.

We came out passing in the 2nd half. Not conservative. Initially, i applauded that but now I think more running might have been the ticket.

Had fournette not fumbled the first time, he could have taken it to the endzone and the complexion would have changed.

I see the potential to be an extremely explosive offense. Just need to get the run/pass blend correct.

LSU was on a very nice time consuming drive when Fournette fumbled. Had he not fumbled, the game would have been basically over.

Exactly.

That particular drive started at the one yard line and I remember thinking how a time consuming drive for a score would basically seal the game as well as demoralize State. In fact had our lineman allowed Fournette to recover his own fumble, the drive continues and probably ends with a TD because the Bulldogs were spent.

It was that strip which made it a game once again and you could see the entire State bench get fired up for the comeback. Our big first half lead and the poor field position that Miss St. kept putting us in is what dictated the playcalling for much of the second half.

First of all, I agree LSU is not a dominating team. I think LSU is at significant risk of losing any of the SEC games left on their schedule. The only team left in the SEC where I think LSU should win comfortably is Missouri. The only SEC game where I think LSU has a less than fifty percent chance of winning is Bama.

I get the displeasure with Miles. What I find lately is that he gets no credit for whenever the team does well and all the blame when they do poorly. When the defense plays well, Aranda gets all the credit. When the offense plays well Cameron gets all the credit (Miles took the handcuffs off everyone says). When the offense struggles the mantra is Miles took the reigns away from Cameron.

Cameron called he first and second half, as he always does. Miles has the ability to change plays, which he rarely does.

Miles did not take the foot off the gas in the second half as many LSU fans claim. They threw on first down, they even threw from their end zone. They had poor field position the entire second half. Two drives were stopped by uncharacteristic Fournette fumbles, one happening when Miles aggressively went for it on fourth down.

LSU lined up like most every team in the world does for onside kicks. Three guys on the line are to let the ball go through and block, the rear guys field the ball. The rear guys moved up to catch the ball on the bounce. A great high bounce for State went over their heads and somehow stayed in bounds.

Our offense looked better the last seven quarters for one reason and one reason only. Etling is better than Harris. He has more presence in the pocket and shows the ability to check down to secondary receivers to convert key third downs. Harris was 2 for 12 on third down.

Other than Bama, you can look at any SEC top team's schedule and pick six or so games they might lose. The East teams have it a bit easier because they play each other. The East has Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Missouri and South Carolina on the bottom as potential games top teams should win. The bottom team in the West would beat a lot of college teams.

Etling has the ability to make Miles and Cameron look a lot smarter.

Spot-on.

I'm one of those who appreciates Miles' success and argues that he deserves credit beyond "winning with Saban's players", the commonly parroted line about his tenure here which the facts don't bear out. I also feel that the game has sort of passed him by and it's probably time for him to go.

I'll give him credit again here: I think he felt the heat and quickly switched to Etling. He knows that this team can have great success with mediocre QBing, whereas no team can win consistently with truly awful QB play, which is what Harris was giving. Allegedly Etling was nursing an injury in the first week anyway, so if that's true it would have been difficult to justify going to him out of the gate.

Maybe Etling can even improve further and become a good SEC QB. In that instance, this team, with the talent and defensive coaching that they have, can beat any team in that nation. I see this team taking some steps to becoming better, but they have a long way to go as far as meeting the preseason expectations.

This Auburn team isn't great, but beating them on the Plains always provides a challenge for us. I'm cautiously optimistic. The 2003 national championship team was honestly pretty dominant from the jump, but they visibly improved as the season moved forward, and I have some glimmer of hope that this team can do the same. The talent is there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom