More NFL to Toronto News (1 Viewer)

I have a couple of points....
  • The most issue with many people around the World is the perceptions that America is conceited. We call our MLB champions, for example, World Champions.
  • Let me brefly dispell the popular "myth" that soccer will never catch on. For starters it already has caught on. But wait, look at the crowds at MLS games. The funny thing about the American sports fan is we like to watch the best of the best. Whenever the big clubs coe to the United States they play before 60- 70,000 spectators. The 1994 World Cup still holds (and for a while) the record for the best attended World Cup. (this is after the WC went to 32 in 1998, 2002, & 2006). Clearly, Americans like soccer, they just don't care for the quality of MLS. MLS is trying to change that with the "Becham Rule," allowing each team to have up two (?) players not counted towards their salary cap.
  • American Football, like Basketball, baseball, and Soccer in the United States can find a home in other parts of the World. American Football is popular in Germany. According to the NFL website, England and Spain sees most of the Sunday Aternoon games. Also, there are tackle football leagues in England and Russia.
    • The problem I have is I don't think the NFL is doing enough to promote the game worldwide. I have DS TV out of South Africa. I have 8 Supersport channels, and not one American Sport is on the channel. They do so Euroleague basketball. If ESPN is not going to show the Sunday afternoon games, then the NFL needs to do more to get more exposure. The NFL, apparently, has chosen a short term goal of selling the internet right to broadcast the games at a premium rate, rather than "sell" cheaply the rights to broadcast the games. It may not be the most profitable in the beginning, but offering cheaply will help gain exposure to the game to much wider audience. Why is Sunday Ticket only offered in the Americas?
If you build it, they will come

You seem to be against Mexico, but Mexico is our neighbor.

When I say neighbors I mean Mississippi, and I'm not against Mexico, I already stated I don't care if they have a team just as long as they don't go putting Saints games in a foreign city, DON'T MESS WITH THE SAINTS(which they announced the were looking to do, putting regular season games in other countries to try and promote the league).....

As far as Soccer catching on are you serious?? Soccer will never overtake Football, Basketball and Baseball in this country, heck it might even play 2nd fiddle to Hockey.........I don't care how much promotion or how much they try to push it(they've already tried many times), it won't work, Soccer is way to boring(not enough points scored) for the average American sports fan.....It may be fairly popular in the west and some isolated populations were there's a good population of Hispanics or something but where I'm from(South) Soccer can barely draw more then Tulane at the Dome....

There' might be some games on in Germany and Spain but what does that mean, football fans are its still in the minority and I have yet to meet or talk to one guy(only one's i've seen are from this site) from outside the U.S. that doesn't put down the NFL and talks about how much Rugby is better and the our Football is soft and too slow and they use pads etc etc.....

Last edited:
As far as Soccer catching on are you serious?? Soccer will never overtake Football, Basketball and Baseball in this country, heck it might even play 2nd fiddle to Hockey.............It may be fairly popular in the west and some isolated populations were there's a good population of Hispanics or something but where I'm from(South) Soccer can barely draw more then Tulane at the Dome....

I never said that Soccer would surpass Football, Basketball or baseball. What I said that its a myth that there isn't a fan base for the game.

BTW, hispanics aren't the only ones that like soccer. Soccer is popular in many cities across the America, including, Detroit, Dallas, Kansas City, Chicago, New York, Alanta, etc,... You obvioiusly do not follow the sport. You use all of the cliches.

Lastly, I already told you soccer fans often do not go to MLS games because the quality isn't very good. When the big boys come, they come out of the woodwork. For example, the Chicago Fire barely draws, yet, manchester United, Chelsea, and Barcelona sold out in hours.

There' might be some games on in Germany and Spain but what does that mean, football fans are its still in the minority and I have yet to meet or talk to one guy(only one's i've seen are from this site) from outside the U.S. that doesn't put down the NFL and talks about how much Rugby is better and the our Football is soft and too slow and they use pads etc etc.....

Hmmm, did I actually say that football wasn't in the minority.

I am a member of Scarlet Fever forum, a Rugby team in Wales. I had lively conversation with many members about football and baseball. I guess its all who you talk to. There is an English guy here in Abidjan who is frustrated because he couldn't get American Footall for Thanksgiving.

If you read my last reponse, you will note that I don' think that the NFL is doing enough to promote the sport. Most people who do not like Football don't know anything about it. Hmm, sounds familiar,...sounds like American about soccer,... :scratch:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom