Morgan visited today...Thomas expected to visit tomorrow. (1 Viewer)

While debating Morgan everyone here states the obvious (Morgan has never been healhty for an entire season).... but no one ever states the other part of this debate in its' obvious nature.... even though Morgan has never been 100% healthy for an entire season... he has been a better player and has one more Pro-Bowl appearance than any MLB than has worn the Black and Gold since Sam Mills... despite his injuries and shortened playing time.

I am sure no one here is advocating to put all of our MLB "eggs" in the basket of Dan Morgan.... but at the same time... signing him to an incentive laced one year deal couldn't possibly hurt this team.... especially considering the fact that we have not had a MLB here with a fraction of the talent that Morgan possess since the Mills went to Carolina.

Even if Morgan falls off the bench during mini-camp and his brain falls out of his left ear.... he's worth the risk of signing him to a 1 year deal considering we have absolutely no one that resembles an NFL MLB on the team... and there is a chance (however remote) that he stays healthy... and we all know what kind of player Morgan is when he is actually on the field.

my 2 cents

I'm actually leaning more towards Morgan, but thats based on age....they both were/are Pro Bowl caliber players, but like fwaokda said...i'll trust what the Org does either way, cause your rolling the dice with both players....one has lost something to age the other has lost something to injuries.

Being a few years younger is no 'advantage" when you've never played a full 16 game season since your career started. That's D Morgan.

While debating Morgan everyone here states the obvious (Morgan has never been healhty for an entire season).... but no one ever states the other part of this debate in its' obvious nature.... even though Morgan has never been 100% healthy for an entire season... he has been a better player and has one more Pro-Bowl appearance than any MLB than has worn the Black and Gold since Sam Mills... despite his injuries and shortened playing time.

I am sure no one here is advocating to put all of our MLB "eggs" in the basket of Dan Morgan.... but at the same time... signing him to an incentive laced one year deal couldn't possibly hurt this team.... especially considering the fact that we have not had a MLB here with a fraction of the talent that Morgan possess since the Mills went to Carolina.

Even if Morgan falls off the bench during mini-camp and his brain falls out of his left ear.... he's worth the risk of signing him to a 1 year deal considering we have absolutely no one that resembles an NFL MLB on the team... and there is a chance (however remote) that he stays healthy... and we all know what kind of player Morgan is when he is actually on the field.

my 2 cents

If he does fall off the bench and his brain falls out of his left ear, I still think he'd be an upgrade over Simoneau and Shanle.
Hopefully, we can get a good vet like Thomas, Morgan, or D.Smith and then draft a young stud like Lofton, Mayo, or Highsmith where they won't be absolutely forced to play from day 1.

my 2 cents

Morgan was let go by Carolina because he's taking up a roster spot - an expensive one at that.

I agree - he's a talent... or, was a talent.

IMHO, he would be 'a reach.' - not much different than David was last year.

If he does fall off the bench and his brain falls out of his left ear, I still think he'd be an upgrade over Simoneau and Shanle.
Hopefully, we can get a good vet like Thomas, Morgan, or D.Smith and then draft a young stud like Lofton, Mayo, or Highsmith where they won't be absolutely forced to play from day 1.

That was exactly my point... no one is saying "Get Dan Morgan, he's our future at MLB"....

I'm saying.... "Get Dan Morgan, we have nothing at MLB currently... as a matter of fact... we can't do any worse than what we have now.... draft a young MLB in the 2nd or 3rd round... If Morgan can't stay healhty... put the young guy in... then cut Morgan from his 1 year incentive laced deal".

Why is that not an option?

sign both , morgan and thomas. put morgan as mlb, thomas as wlb, when morgan goes to ir, thomas slides in and lofton, mayo, highsmith , whoever is drafted takes over that spot vacated.

Morgan was let go by Carolina because he's taking up a roster spot - an expensive one at that.

I agree - he's a talent... or, was a talent.

IMHO, he would be 'a reach.' - not much different than David was last year.

True he "WAS" taking up an expensive roster spot in Carolina... but he will not be with his next team... his injury history becomes a bargining chip for the new club he signs with.

Like I have been saying... 1 year deal with incentives... if he gets hurt... he's cut... then let the young guy play.

No one is saying he's the answer at MLB... but he's not a "reach"... at the right contract... he's a low risk.. high reward signing at a position of dire need.

And in no way does Morgan compare to David...

Last edited:
Morgan's played in four games over the last two seasons.

Thank you for that little piece of information.....I think we all know that.....its a crap shot either way....just cause you sign him, dont mean he makes the 53.

Being a few years younger is no 'advantage" when you've never played a full 16 game season since your career started. That's D Morgan.

Were did I say there was an "advantage".....please stop posting these rediculous replys like your telling me something I dont know....there both risk, you can find something bad about both players....you can look up all players in the nfl and more than half have missed a game or to, or even a season at some point in there careers, so please stop with the "Dan Morgan only played dis many games" WE KNOW THAT!!! THE SAINTS KNOW THAT............but he Saints are still checking him out, so until we hear that the Saints pass on him.....it should be up for discussion.

Either of these guys would be an excellent mentor to any LB we draft or bring in via free agency. I'd love to have Thomas on our team based solely off of the fact that he is the type of player who can teach a young guy things tricks of the trade. His influence,, whether he plays a lot or not, would have a major impact on our defense IMO.

I couldn't agree more

We will sign either Zach Thomas or Dan Morgan, then draft a MLB in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft for competition, and incase Thomas or Morgan goes down(which is likely). Either way, I think it would be a good move. I'd rather have Thomas, mainly because I fear Morgan's injury concerns are too big, but either way, I think it is a must that we draft an LB in the early rounds.

I can't believe that we've been pushed back yet another day. If I recall correctly, we were to see him Monday..... but of course the Pats expressed their interests. I hope the second delay isn't an indication of his feelings about playing here.

According to MSN, Drew Rosenhaus said they are currently negotiating with New England. Rosenhaus said that they had an excellent visit with the evil empire and that the contract isn't quite there, but they are talking.

The evil empire won't let ZT get to New Orleans or Dallas. Mark my words. Visiting the Saints can only drive up the price. JMHO.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom