Moroccan wins holocaust cartoon contest (1 Viewer)

Why do you ask? Did a lot of American jews get all wound up over this idiotic cartoon contest and stage marches and riots around the country that I missed?

The point of my post is that when some Danish cartoonist made a cartoon which was in poor taste and insulte some muslims, there was a ridiculous over reaction in parts of the muslim world. People actually died in riots around the world proptesting the cartoons.

So Iran counters by having a contest making light of the holocaust to "test" the tolerance of the west to cartoons in poor taste. So far as I know the "west' paid little attention to this moronic contest.

So what does me being Jewish or not have to do with anything? I think most rational people, jewish or not, are offended by the cartoon. I think most rational people, jews included, arent going to go riot because some idiot drew a tasteless cartoon.

Well, I ask, because if you are not Jewish, you more likely than not are not going to be offended by a holocaust cartoon - unless you are deply religious -.

Kind of like if someone would create a cartoon about 9/11, ridiculing the U.S. and the people who died in 9/11. Most Americans would be offended by it, but if you showed it to a Portuguese fellow, he may or may not find it in poor taste, but it wouldn't be offended by it.

As for the reaction, well, different people react differently to the similar situations. You may have all the right in the world to pick up a stick and whack the hornets' nest, but don't birch about it when you get stung. In the case of the cartoon making fun of Islam, everyone knows how some Muslims react to that stuff. But they had to go and whack the hornets' nest because it is "their right".

But where is the common sense? I mean, you don't walk through the projects in the middle of the night, walk to a group of youths loitering in the corner and tell them what you think about them and tell them to stop, do you? Hey, it's your right as a citizen.

Well, I ask, because if you are not Jewish, you more likely than not are not going to be offended by a holocaust cartoon - unless you are deply religious -.

Kind of like if someone would create a cartoon about 9/11, ridiculing the U.S. and the people who died in 9/11. Most Americans would be offended by it, but if you showed it to a Portuguese fellow, he may or may not find it in poor taste, but it wouldn't be offended by it.

As for the reaction, well, different people react differently to the similar situations. You may have all the right in the world to pick up a stick and whack the hornets' nest, but don't birch about it when you get stung. In the case of the cartoon making fun of Islam, everyone knows how some Muslims react to that stuff. But they had to go and whack the hornets' nest because it is "their right".

But where is the common sense? I mean, you don't walk through the projects in the middle of the night, walk to a group of youths loitering in the corner and tell them what you think about them and tell them to stop, do you? Hey, it's your right as a citizen.

We pretty much disagree here on everything except for the part about people reacting differently.

My guess is the average Portuguese fellow would be offended by a tasteless cartoon about 9-11 or the holocaust. He just would not riot.

I am not defending the cartoonist who created a cartoon is poor taste about Islam. He shouldnt have done it. It doesnt remotely justify the reaction.

And as for me not being offended by a holocaust cartoon because I am not jewish, I think thats kind of a goofy opinion. No offense, you obviously think my opinion is wrong and it might well be. I just have no idea why you would think one would have to be jewish or deeply religious to be offended by such a cartoon.

Being offended and over reacting are different, and maybe thats where we differ. I am fine with muslims being offended by a bad taste cartoon. I just dont think it justifies burning cars outside of embassies.

System, I ask you this question: Why would you go out of your way to mock 6 million people who died under a murderous dicator like Adolph Hitler. It sounds a lot like your showing indifference to the matter overall. Think about it. If you had a relative in the hospital and they died becuase of cancer, and I started making fun of it by making horrendous rumors about it all and inneundo, how would you feel, no better yet what would you do to me if you found me: Would you just laugh it off? Probably not., You would kick my *** into next week most likely for even doing it. Well kind of look at that way with the Holocaust. They experiecned it, they didnt ask for it, but it happened anyway, and the world failed to help them when they needed it the most in many ways. Despite what blackadder has told me on many occasions , I dont buy into the argument that the Jews ddint deserve something after World War II and the suffering they endured, they were the biggest losers in that conflict, you know it and I know it. To say to the remaining Jews in Europe after World War II, go to hell and dont worry about anything in return is something immoral in my mind. They lost everything, their lives, their property, their freedom, and all of a sudden you expect them just to re-adjust. Sorry buddy it doesnt work that way. Europe in my mind has a lot of explaining to do becuase of its inability to tolerate Jews for centuries going back to the Dark Ages and Middle Ages. They just wouldnt let them be equals with them and now look what happened.

We pretty much disagree here on everything except for the part about people reacting differently.

My guess is the average Portuguese fellow would be offended by a tasteless cartoon about 9-11 or the holocaust. He just would not riot.

I am not defending the cartoonist who created a cartoon is poor taste about Islam. He shouldnt have done it. It doesnt remotely justify the reaction.

And as for me not being offended by a holocaust cartoon because I am not jewish, I think thats kind of a goofy opinion. No offense, you obviously think my opinion is wrong and it might well be. I just have no idea why you would think one would have to be jewish or deeply religious to be offended by such a cartoon.

Being offended and over reacting are different, and maybe thats where we differ. I am fine with muslims being offended by a bad taste cartoon. I just dont think it justifies burning cars outside of embassies.

I don't think your opinion is wrong. The intention of my post wasn't to prove you wrong or tell you you are wrong.
My point was twofold:

1.- people/cultures react differently to similar situations. You may not riot if someone offends your religion through a cartoon, but some Muslims will. We know this. It's nothing new. You may think is wrong, silly, ignorant, whatever, hell even I I think it is wrong, silly, and ignorant, but that's how they react. That's why I brought the analogy of the hornets' nest. You know what happens when you poke a hornets' nest with a stick.

2.- In my experience, people usually don't get offended unless it hits close to home, being culturally, ideologically, whatnot. Did you get to see the cartoon that started this whole thing, the one that offended all of those Muslims? Did you find it offensive? I doubt it. You are not Muslim. If you are a Christian, you more likely than not already dismiss the entire Islamic religion. So it doesn't hit home. Just like the holocaust doesn't hit close to home to millions of people around the globe.

On a side note, after looking at the cartoon, I'm sure it had to be explained in detail to the Muslim audience. Not many people would recognize that picture. Heck, I bet without the explanation most people in the U.S. wouldn't know what it was.

Another thing that's not being discussed is the interpretation of the cartoon. Is the cartoon making fun of the holocaust, or using the holocaust to convey a point?

System, I ask you this question: Why would you go out of your way to mock 6 million people who died under a murderous dicator like Adolph Hitler. It sounds a lot like your showing indifference to the matter overall. Think about it. If you had a relative in the hospital and they died becuase of cancer, and I started making fun of it by making horrendous rumors about it all and inneundo, how would you feel, no better yet what would you do to me if you found me: Would you just laugh it off? Probably not., You would kick my *** into next week most likely for even doing it. Well kind of look at that way with the Holocaust. They experiecned it, they didnt ask for it, but it happened anyway, and the world failed to help them when they needed it the most in many ways. Despite what blackadder has told me on many occasions , I dont buy into the argument that the Jews ddint deserve something after World War II and the suffering they endured, they were the biggest losers in that conflict, you know it and I know it. To say to the remaining Jews in Europe after World War II, go to hell and dont worry about anything in return is something immoral in my mind. They lost everything, their lives, their property, their freedom, and all of a sudden you expect them just to re-adjust. Sorry buddy it doesnt work that way. Europe in my mind has a lot of explaining to do becuase of its inability to tolerate Jews for centuries going back to the Dark Ages and Middle Ages. They just wouldnt let them be equals with them and now look what happened.

Well, 2 things:
1.- the cartoon is not mocking 6 million deaths.
2.- I've seen your other posts. You are deeply religious. Don't know if you are Jewish or not, though. I'm not going to discuss this with you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom