Morstead’s kickoffs bring surprising advantage (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
To be honest, he never knew he could do it — at least well enough.
“I never kicked off in high school or college,” Morstead said with a grin. “I would work on it in camps and stuff, but I didn’t feel like I was athletic enough to be able to do it.
“I was able to kick a field goal a mile,” he added, “but when I’d kick off, I didn’t get any extra distance. Most guys should be able to do that.”

“As far as kickoffs go, I’ve got all my boys back in college saying, ‘Who is this?’” he said with a laugh. “John (Carney) has really been unbelievable as far as helping me out. I didn’t have a lot of formal coaching and he’s really helped me clean some things up.”

“I don’t think we ever thought he’d be our kickoff guy, but he’s proven to be very good at that,” said Brees, who jokingly added that they’re going to have to keep Morstead humble.
“Make sure you keep him down to earth, don’t let him get too far ahead of himself,” he said. “Make sure he doesn’t go off for the bye week and see all his old friends and they tell him how great he is and he comes back and you’ve got to knock him back down to size.”

article here:http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/saints/63747887.html?index=1&c=yhttp://

Nice to hear that John Carney has helped him get the kickoff mechanics down.

I think Carney might just have learned a thing a two about the kicking game in the NFL across his 21 seasons. The guy should have a future as a coach somewhere, I would think.

I think Carney might just have learned a thing a two about the kicking game in the NFL across his 21 seasons. The guy should have a future as a coach somewhere, I would think.
+1 I hope Hartley takes advantage of having him around too.

I was at training camp the first day after Carney was signed (and the first practice after the Bengals pre-season game). Because of the botched snaps they were training snapping and kicking before the regular practice started and Carney were everywere offering advice and showing and making small adjustments.. I really thought that he would be a great Kicker coach

I was at training camp the first day after Carney was signed (and the first practice after the Bengals pre-season game). Because of the botched snaps they were training snapping and kicking before the regular practice started and Carney were everywere offering advice and showing and making small adjustments.. I really thought that he would be a great Kicker coach

Doesn't/didn't he hold camps to teach this stuff to younger guys? I seem to remember that Olindo Mare attended one of Carney's camps as a youngster...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom