Mort say Cowboys will try to move into top spot in draft.. (1 Viewer)

DownWithDisease

Very Banned
Reaction score
'BOYS TO MAKE A DEAL WITH THE FINS?

ESPN's Chris Mortensen suggested during a special edition of Sunday NFL Countdown that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is eyeing the possibility of swinging a trade with the Dolphins for the No. 1 overall pick in the 2008 draft.

Such a deal would allow the 'Boys to bag running back Darren McFadden, who played college football at Jones' alma mater of Arkansas.

Per Mort, any such deal would have to include the rights to Cowboys running back Marion Barber, who is slated to be a restricted free agent. To make it happen, the Cowboys would have to work out a sign-and-trade deal before Barber gets a chance to ink an offer sheet that would force the Cowboys to match the terms or let him go in exchange for compensation. Thus, the safest bet for the 'Boys would be to tender Barber at the highest possible level, which would force any team that signs him to give up a first-round pick and a third-round pick. Those extra picks then could be used to sweeten the pot for the top spot in the draft.

Hmmmmm. I think it would be stupid to get rid of a Pro-bowler in Barber for an unproven rookie.

Staff edit: Post edited per our guidelines regarding copyright:

When posting stories/articles from outside sources, we request that you tease these articles rather than to post them in their entirety. By teasing, we mean that it is ok to post a couple of paragraphs and then just link (place the URL) to the rest of the article, like we do on the news page. This will ensure that we avoid having any potential problems with copyright infringement.

Barber, IMO, has GOT to be more valuable than McD. McD could be the replacement for Jones before he could be the replacement for Barber IMO.Not a smart idea, unless you despise the 'Boys.

It would be a stupid decision.

You never, ever move up to take a running back. They are a dime a dozen, and you even have a proven one already with Barber.

I mean, just look at us with Pierre Thomas, or look at Ryan Grant with Green Bay, or NY Giants, or Tampa Bay with Ernest Graham, etc.

The Cowboys have an aging Glenn, TO isn't going to be around forever, and they have secondary issues and could use upgrading on the OL, all positions which they could get a great guy where they are drafting at.

I don't understand this move at all.

Stupid ain't the word IMO. Barber is a mule.

Depends on the running back. I know LSU fans who believe McFadden was the best running back in the SEC since Bo Jackson. That's a lot of years and good running backs. If Jones is convinced that McFadden will be a superstar, you trade up. The question is whether you need to trade up to one to pick McFadden or whether you can made a deal with a team picking right behind Miami.

Jerry better lay off the botox it's starting to turn him into Al Davis.

Simply put, stupid. Marion Barber IS a top 5 running back and letting him go to another team is dumbr than us trading Reggie Bush. You don't have to draft a back in the first round to get a dominant back. I hope they do this just so I can laugh all season long at the stupidness (if that is a word) of ol' Jerry.

Rumor has it Jones is in love with McFadden. This deal may happen too.....Jones is in love with a guy from his alma mater (Jones played OG for the Razorbacks), remembers all the success he had with the last "special" back the 'Boys had (E. Smith), and his former HC is now GM for the team holding the first pick. I could see this happening. Now does it make sense from a player/personnel standpoint? No, the Cowboys have two backs that carry the load and Barber late this season proved he could do it by himself. So Jones is trying to "upgrade" a position he doesn't need too. Not particularly smart........

It would be a stupid decision.

You never, ever move up to take a running back. They are a dime a dozen, and you even have a proven one already with Barber.

I mean, just look at us with Pierre Thomas, or look at Ryan Grant with Green Bay, or NY Giants, or Tampa Bay with Ernest Graham, etc.

The Cowboys have an aging Glenn, TO isn't going to be around forever, and they have secondary issues and could use upgrading on the OL, all positions which they could get a great guy where they are drafting at.

I don't understand this move at all.

This would definetly be a stupid move by the cowboys.....and that is why I would love to see it happen. Go Jerry Jones....dismantle another team!

This would be great for us. Much rather Dallas get McFadden then keep Barber and 2 first round picks and it get McFadden out of our hair before the #10 pick.

Remember the Herschel Walker trade that helped rebuild Dallas? Apparently Jerry Jones does not.

Last edited:
This is great news it means that both Dorsey and Ellis will fall a spot lower and make it easier for us to go up and get them.

1. Dallas: McFadden

2. St. Louis: Dorsey

3. Atlanta: Ryan

4. Oakland: C. Long

5. KC: J. Long

6. NO [NYJ]: Sed Ellis

Completely insane !!! Jones is a billionaire homer, he's got many ties to Arkansas and he's enamored by a guy who really can't help his team all that much. I would enjoy the trade, b/c as it stands we will get shafted @ 10 most likely. Barber is worth a low first low 2nd rounder. Jones has the fire power to make such a deal, and time would only tell whether it's worth it or not.

If he wanted to get a horse he should go for Dorsey to send that defense over the top.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom