Moscow's latest food craze? Nutria (1 Viewer)

PayOrPlay

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If this food fad spreads worldwide, it could become a great new export industry for Louisiana! (Or the subject of a trade war :ezbill:)

Hot rat is so hot right now: Moscow falls for the rodent burger
The nutria, or river rat, is the victim of the Russian capital’s most challenging current food craze | The Guardian

Forget kale, forget quinoa. This season’s foodie craze in Moscow is homegrown, affordable and full of nutrients. It’s rat.

Well, not quite rat, but nutria, a giant orange-toothed rodent also known as coypu or river rat, and indigenous to southern Russia. The furry, whiskered beast is finding its way on to plates at several Moscow restaurants this autumn.

Eating rodents might conjure up images of starving peasants desperate to survive, or Soviet citizens grimly making it through the siege of Leningrad, but 35-year-old chef and restaurateur Takhir Kholikberdiev has other ideas. He serves up nutria burgers and a whole range of other rodent-based dishes in a sleekly designed eatery right in the centre of Moscow. The recently opened Krasnodar Bistro, named after the southern Russian city from which Kholikberdiev hails, is marketed at the new breed of middle-class Muscovite with broad culinary horizons, and fits into a recent trend among Moscow restaurants of focusing on high-quality local ingredients.

The nutria burger at Krasnodar Bistro is pale, juicy and fairly bland, somewhere between turkey and pork. It came in a soft bun, with plenty of relish and served on a chopping board. It tasted pretty good, though while chewing on the meat the diner may get mental flashes of quivering whiskers and nattering orange teeth. A generously sized nutria burger cost 550 roubles (£6.90). . . . Other nutria delights on offer at Krasnodar Bistro include nutria hotdog, nutria dumplings and nutria wrapped in cabbage leaves.

I think that tail bounty just may go up...:9:

True story. When I first glanced at this, I thought the title said "Nuetella". And I'm like, "yeah, so what?"

Now, hours later, I see Nutria.. and I'm like.. wait a second.. a giant swamp rat?

I remember an old co-worker in Louisiana telling me of a trip he took in Cali or NYC (forget which trip it was), where he saw some women's fur clothing and it said it was made out of Nutria.. and it was expensive. "oh, it's the latest special fur"... and he's like.. Lady, do you know what a Nutria is? LOL

I wish I was there for that reaction.

The timing couldn't be more perfect. A large swath of the Louisiana populace became partial to communist Russia over the past year and a half thanks to our president elect

I think this is going to work out just swell. Wrangle them nutras boys

The timing couldn't be more perfect. A large swath of the Louisiana populace became partial to communist Russia over the past year and a half thanks to our president elect

I think this is going to work out just swell. Wrangle them nutras boys

Russia is a lot of things but communist isn't one of them.

Well. 8 years of Jindal have done petty well getting you close to Russia in terms of wealth. So 4 years of Trump and right wing economics should just about finish it off. Nutria for everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We can't even have a thread about nutra-rats without getting political. What have we become?!

You guys can argue about politics, I'm getting my business plan together.

The state pays 5 dollars per nutria tail (bounty on an invasive species destroying the wetlands). Their pelts are worth money also, used for ethical fur clothing. Just need a good recipe for cooking the meat, serve it to tourists who want an authentic regional flavor, this is going to be a cash cow. I'm currently seeking a business partner coon-*** with enough swamp land to harvest large quantities of nutria.

You guys can argue about politics, I'm getting my business plan together.

The state pays 5 dollars per nutria tail (bounty on an invasive species destroying the wetlands). Their pelts are worth money also, used for ethical fur clothing. Just need a good recipe for cooking the meat, serve it to tourists who want an authentic regional flavor, this is going to be a cash cow. I'm currently seeking a business partner coon-*** with enough swamp land to harvest large quantities of nutria.

Any good burger/sausage recipe will do.

Here is a link to a recipe

Night Hawk Publications - John's Journal

I don't think you really need a landowner for your scenario.

:)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom