Most comfortable pair of athletic shoes (1 Viewer)

i love the Asics GT 2000 series.. i'm a casual runner (12-15 miles/wk) and they've worked well for me over the past 10 yrs or so, and they are super comfortable.. matter of fact, i just ordered another pair of GT 2170's last night on Amazon; i checked some stores here in Houston, both local running stores and national chains-- and they just didnt have the selection that you can find online, either in re. to sizes or colors.. so i went ahead and ordered from Amazon.. here is the exact pair i ordered, wound up being about $90.

Amazon.com: ASICS Men's Gt-2170 Running Shoe: Shoes

I pretty much dislike all the New Balace for the reasons already stated but the minimus line in general with the vibram sole are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn.

I'm on my feet almost all day, in the winter time I wear my muck boots, they are extremely comfortable, keep my feet warm and dry. In the summer time I have found some very comfortable cross training/running type shoes. Normally the best shoes have always been the ones on clearance because I tear them up so fast but I've spent $100+ before but the only noticeable difference for the most part is the name and logo. I have noticed that New Balance just kill my feet and back but for the most part Nike, Reebok, adidas, etc are all pretty similar with inconsistent feel from shoe to shoe. Last summer I stepped in a mud puddle early in the morning and didn't feel like walking around in wet shoes all day so I stopped by Wal Mart and picked up a pair of Starter Elite shoes for $21 and they are easily the least uncomfortable athletic shoe I've worn. These aren't the only cheapo's I frequent. Academy has some off brand for like $12 and I can't tell the difference between the name brands.

I know there are some higher end and less sylish shoes designed more for comfort but there has to be some better options out there. I have a very high arch and hate arch inserts since they never seem to work right. I'd kill to find some decent looking shoes that are very comfy and last.

What kind of shoes do you guys like? Anyone try orthodics and is it worth the money?

I wear running shoes often, as well. They're light and cushioned and usually comfortable. Some years ago, I was told when complaining about a particular pair of shoes that I had the wrong type and should go to a running store with actual fitting people and buy what they told me.

I've been doing it ever since. Some shoes are made to fight particular tendencies and evidently I had some that were trying to correct for a problem I didn't have. I walk pretty evenly on my feet and these were designed to keep you from compressing the outside of the heel.

Fixed it for me.

I particularly like Ecco.
ECCO USA | Mens Shoes | Womens Shoes |Golf Shoes | Accessories

For a dress shoe, the Rockport wingtip is hard to beat but runs $120 plus.

Another +1 on Merrell and Crocs.

I feel Good Feet shoe inserts are waaayyyyy overpriced and not genuinely "custom fit or custom molded".

Spenco makes quality arch supports/orthotics that you can get off eBay for $15.
Foot Care Insoles: Footcare and Healthcare Products - Spenco Medical

Spenco RX 3 4 Length Orthotic | eBay

Their "arch cushion" does NOT give the support necessary so make sure your buying the "arch orthotic". Also the full length tend to lose the topcover so I always buy the 3/4 length.

A "custom-made" orthotic will differ if bought from a chiropractor or orthopedist or prosthetist or podiatric physician. If you doll out $400-500 for "custom-made" devices; then the practitioner should provide any needed adjustments until you are happy and comfortable with the product. These should be made from a plaster of paris mold or a newly developed casting sock made with fiberglass impregnated gauze (STS casting sock) while the doctor holds your foot in a certain position. If your insurance company is paying out $300-400 for orthotics (CPT code L3000) that aren't made this way then the practitioner is walking the line of fraudulent billing practices.

I can attest to the quality of Zigs. As a nurse, obviously I'm up and down, running around for 12 hours or so. They're pretty damn good up til the point they're not, and then look out. But as long as you replace them when they go bad you'll be golden.

As for orthotics, they're ALWAYS a good idea, even if you don't have foot/back problems.

Did you try to US-made New Balance?

Those have a completely different feel than the shoes that they produce in China.

The most comfortable shoes I own are Made in USA New Balance 1300s. You pay a little extra for them being domestically made, but the price is worth it to me. US-made 998s and 996s are also really comfortable. Zappos has a pretty nice selection of all of those.

Other than that, the Nike Lunarglide+ 4 are pretty comfortable too. There are some pairs on sale for like $80 with free shipping on Zappos. The Nike Air Max 2013 are also supposed to be pretty nice.

Whatever you decide to get- make sure it's the right shoe for you. If you don't know your specific foot type or needs, go somewhere with knowledgeable sales people that can help. One person's opinion on shoes can vary drastically from another's because everyone's feet are not the same. Considering you said you have high arches, I'd follow the previous recommendations and at least try on a pair of Asics Nimbus. People who have high arches tend to supinate/ under-pronate and that can lead to plantar fasciitis or Achilles tendinitis if untreated.

I wear running shoes often, as well. They're light and cushioned and usually comfortable. Some years ago, I was told when complaining about a particular pair of shoes that I had the wrong type and should go to a running store with actual fitting people and buy what they told me.

I've been doing it ever since. Some shoes are made to fight particular tendencies and evidently I had some that were trying to correct for a problem I didn't have. I walk pretty evenly on my feet and these were designed to keep you from compressing the outside of the heel.

Fixed it for me.

He speaks the truth... Plus most running stores give you a clean shoe,low mile return if the shoes are not working out. Surely worth the retail premium of a local purchase.

Brooks Adrenaline, Saucony Hurricane, Asolo FSN 95 GTX are my faves.

I have wide, flat feet so it's been difficult for me. I stick with New Balance for the most part because of the large selection of wide sizes, but you can't go cheap on them. I finally found a pair of Nike Zoom Structure Triax+ 15 with pretty good arch support and they come in wide sizes. That's what I wear when I'm not wearing a pair of Redwing composite-toe boots which also have very good arch support and come in wide sizes.

I have very flat large feet too.
Size 16
The Big Feet store here in Fort Worth,Texas recommends the Brooks Beast for me.

I'll be getting them really soon.

I have these and I love them.

Attachments

• 487982-008---2.jpg
    487982-008---2.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 27
I feel the need to weigh in on my feeling of the Nike brand here. It's obvious that we have some seasoned athletes that are praising bands like brooks and saucony.

Here I Australia I struggle to get my kids out of Nike shoes which literally do not last a year and are of such poor quality that I find it amazing that there is not a world wide out cry. I detest them only because I see the poor quality of workmanship that has developed due to the marketing that has brainwashed us into believing that the brand is more important than the quality.

I bought my daughter saucony running shoes for school, which are sold for a bargain here in Australia because they are not known as a major brand, but she is hesitant to wear them because she believes they are cheap and nasty.... She wears them because the option is to go barefoot but its a shame and just another indictment on the times.

I feel the need to weigh in on my feeling of the Nike brand here. It's obvious that we have some seasoned athletes that are praising bands like brooks and saucony.

Here I Australia I struggle to get my kids out of Nike shoes which literally do not last a year and are of such poor quality that I find it amazing that there is not a world wide out cry. I detest them only because I see the poor quality of workmanship that has developed due to the marketing that has brainwashed us into believing that the brand is more important than the quality.

I bought my daughter saucony running shoes for school, which are sold for a bargain here in Australia because they are not known as a major brand, but she is hesitant to wear them because she believes they are cheap and nasty.... She wears them because the option is to go barefoot but its a shame and just another indictment on the times.

I'd prefer to go barefoot. A lot of times I do run barefoot until the summer comes and streets get too hot. Around the house I wear my 5fingers because they are the most comfortable shoe I own, with the New Balance MT10s my next choice. I just realized that they are 2.5 years old. They don't look or feel like it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom