Most embarrassing sports moment (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
On local radio, they're talking about most embarrassing sports moments (in light of the Dallas Stars' (and their fans') historically poor showing on Tuesday night). The conversation got me thinking about my most embarrassing sports moment, and it is easily, without any doubt, the Wade Wilson injury where the Superdome crowd cheered his injury. Now, admittedly, he wasn't playing well, and the team was in a late season collapse. But I remember Mora just ripping the fans. It was truly a nadir of my sports fandom.

What you got? Doesn't have to be Saints, although there's more than enough to choose from out of that well.

ETA: The most embarrassing sports moment to YOU.

Last edited:
On local radio, they're talking about most embarrassing sports moments (in light of the Dallas Stars' (and their fans') historically poor showing on Tuesday night). The conversation got me thinking about my most embarrassing sports moment, and it is easily, without any doubt, the Wade Wilson injury where the Superdome crowd cheered his injury. Now, admittedly, he wasn't playing well, and the team was in a late season collapse. But I remember Mora just ripping the fans. It was truly a nadir of my sports fandom.

What you got? Doesn't have to be Saints, although there's more than enough to choose from out of that well.

I happened to be in a corporate suite for the game (first and last time in a suite)
I remember that I was one of few people in the ‘stadium’ portion of the suite actually watching the game
I instinctively jumped up and shouted at the cheering/jeering fans to shut up- they either didn’t hear me or decided to ignore

But Bill Buckner was the name that popped in my head

Jean Van De Velde with a 7 on the last hole of the British Open which dropped him into a tie.

Chris Webber timeout should be up there too.

I happened to be in a corporate suite for the game (first and last time in a suite)
I remember that I was one of few people in the ‘stadium’ portion of the suite actually watching the game
I instinctively jumped up and shouted at the cheering/jeering fans to shut up- they either didn’t hear me or decided to ignore

But Bill Buckner was the name that popped in my head
The interesting thing about Bill Buckner's famous (or infamous) World Series error is that even if the ball hadn't gone under his legs into the outfield, Mookie Wilson was one of the fastest, quickest players in MLB at that time and he, absolutely, wouldve out-ran Buckner or any other Red Sox infielder running over to be in position to make the out.

Boston wouldn't have gotten the final out, anyway on that play. What's even more galling, to me, is that it took Boston-area sports fans nearly 20 years to stop blaming him for something he didn't deserve to be blamed or held accountable for. All was supposedly forgiven after Boston won its first WS in 86 years in 2004, and Red Sox owners and executives had the balls to "invite" Buckner back like his presence was all of a sudden, tolerated now. If I had been Buckner, I wouldn't have come back because for nearly 2 decades, I was deemed almost a social and cultural pariah in N.E. sports. Winning two World Series doesn't erase all those years of collective insults, threats, name-calling, and hurtful insinuations readily passed on and propagated by the MSM.

Buckner needed to forgive them if he was ever going to even consider coming back to Boston and Fenway Park, not the other way around.

The interesting thing about Bill Buckner's famous (or infamous) World Series error is that even if the ball hadn't gone under his legs into the outfield, Mookie Wilson was one of the fastest, quickest players in MLB at that time and he, absolutely, wouldve out-ran Buckner or any other Red Sox infielder running over to be in position to make the out.

Boston wouldn't have gotten the final out, anyway on that play. What's even more galling, to me, is that it took Boston-area sports fans nearly 20 years to stop blaming him for something he didn't deserve to be blamed or held accountable for. All was supposedly forgiven after Boston won its first WS in 86 years in 2004, and Red Sox owners and executives had the balls to "invite" Buckner back like his presence was all of a sudden, tolerated now. If I had been Buckner, I wouldn't have come back because for nearly 2 decades, I was deemed almost a social and cultural pariah in N.E. sports. Winning two World Series doesn't erase all those years of collective insults, threats, name-calling, and hurtful insinuations readily passed on and propagated by the MSM.

Buckner needed to forgive them if he was ever going to even consider coming back to Boston and Fenway Park, not the other way around.
Boston is the Baton Rouge of the northeastern seaboard

If anyone should have been vilified for that play it would be the manager McNamara. Buckner was in the game at first because he could still hit but his knees were shot to the point he couldn't squat down to cover a grounder. He should have been pulled at the start of that inning for a defensive replacement.

Bum Phillips getting the beer poured on him walking into the Superdome tunnel after a loss to the Giants a few weeks before he resigned. No one deserves that from a home crowd no matter how much a team is struggling, and especially not a beer lover like Bum.

From the fans?
Paper bags during the Benson Era.
I wasn’t around during Wade’s injury but I saw Mora’s press conference.

Mine was the 2009 game against the Giants. At that time I tried to go to at least 1 game a year and that was the game for 2009. The ticket cost more than I expected, parking at the game and a hotel room was also more, but I went anyways. All told I spent close to $500 for everything including gas and concessions. Then in the 4th quarter when it was clear the Saints had the game won the Giants had a nice play that got them a first down so a group of Giants fans near me (they had traveled down from New York for the game) cheered their team. As a result other Saints fans started being the typical drunk fans and threw beer on them and actually tried to get a fight going. I got up and went to a security guard that was nearby to point out what was going on and he told me he saw it and it was up to the Giants fans to protect themselves. I just left at that point so I didn't get involved and have not been back since. To be honest I have a better time watching a game on my TV with the chat going on 1 monitor, the NFL game page for the game so I can't see the stats on a second, and the REDZONE on a third monitor to see the highlights of other games.

The Wilson injury cheering was one of the most shameful moments I can recall as a fan. It’s one thing to be a frustrated fan, but to cheer your own QBs knee injury - on national TV Monday Night Football was just disgusting.

Dan Dierdorf called the booing fans “classless pigs”.

Mora went off, rightfully so.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom