Most embarrassing sports moment (1 Viewer)

My most embarrassing Saints moment was the 1999 season where the expansion Cleveland Browns came into the Superdome led by first overall pick Tim Couch against the rookie Ricky Williams second Billy Joe QB of the year Mike Ditka Saints. I had good seats because you could do that kind of thing in this futile era of delusion in Saints history on the cheap. The last play of the game before the snap Saints up by 2 with less than 30 seconds left in the game before the Browns drive started, my father calls into my ear how the Saints were going to blow it. The Browns needed a hail Mary touchdown to achieve their first ever win. My younger Saints heart still primed from hope of seeing Ricky on day two of draft fest since making any picks that day was nonexistent and his 140 yards and no TDs that day if I recall still had that smidge of hope that my father had long rubbed out. Couch of course completes his pass to their first pick in the second round wide receiver Kevin Johnson for 56 yards with eight seconds on the clock.

I will never forget the look on my father's face as if to say part of I told you so part this is what growing up is son. We walked out the Dome through the New Orleans center back to our car parked under the interstate. It became this unspoken moment of his cynicism and my romanticism centered on the Saints but life as a whole spilling out into how we each see the world.

My most embarrassing Saints moment was the 1999 season where the expansion Cleveland Browns came into the Superdome led by first overall pick Tim Couch against the rookie Ricky Williams second Billy Joe QB of the year Mike Ditka Saints. I had good seats because you could do that kind of thing in this futile era of delusion in Saints history on the cheap. The last play of the game before the snap Saints up by 2 with less than 30 seconds left in the game before the Browns drive started, my father calls into my ear how the Saints were going to blow it. The Browns needed a hail Mary touchdown to achieve their first ever win. My younger Saints heart still primed from hope of seeing Ricky on day two of draft fest since making any picks that day was nonexistent and his 140 yards and no TDs that day if I recall still had that smidge of hope that my father had long rubbed out. Couch of course completes his pass to their first pick in the second round wide receiver Kevin Johnson for 56 yards with eight seconds on the clock.

I will never forget the look on my father's face as if to say part of I told you so part this is what growing up is son. We walked out the Dome through the New Orleans center back to our car parked under the interstate. It became this unspoken moment of his cynicism and my romanticism centered on the Saints but life as a whole spilling out into how we each see the world.

Still to this day, my reaction to seeing that isn't anger. I actually laughed then...and I laughed just now

Well if you’re Russian, the 1980 lost to the USA in the miracle on ice game would be considered embarrassing

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom